Devotions in Allanak

Started by Incognito, September 07, 2014, 04:49:39 PM

It just hit me - if everything in Allanak is about Shadows and black and darkness (as opposed to Light in Tuluk) - why are the devotions conducted in the mornings?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for them to be conducted in the evenings? Or even night time?
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Not really.  Tektolnes isn't actually a god of darkness or night.  Besides, in the morning you are literally standing in the shadow of the dragon statue over the west gate.

Morning is when the sun rises and allows the statue outside to cast its shadow over the gates.

Also the gates are closed at night!
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I don't really care for these, anyway. Very, very few of my characters are devout in the first place.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Also, shade/shadow is of value in Allanak, more so than in Tuluk, because it's hotter and windier in Allanak. Staying in the shadow literally keeps you physically safer in Allanak. So I have never interpreted "His Shadow" as meaning nighttime; rather it's safety from the sun. Similar to the more generic "Shade" greeting/parting message.

Quote from: Patuk on September 07, 2014, 04:59:54 PM
I don't really care for these, anyway. Very, very few of my characters are devout in the first place.

Maybe time to change it up? It can be fun to play PCs that are devoted to whichever god-king rules the city they're in.

Quote from: Incognito on September 07, 2014, 04:49:39 PM
It just hit me - if everything in Allanak is about Shadows and black and darkness (as opposed to Light in Tuluk) - why are the devotions conducted in the mornings?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for them to be conducted in the evenings? Or even night time?

There are other places/times for PCs to do devotional stuff, too.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Both cities have an enormous amount of devout, law-abiding, upstanding people. I really don't think adding to that is going to make anything more fun.

You can be devout without being law-abiding or upstanding, there are plenty of examples of that in real religion!
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Heh. Fair. I've done that, too. One of these days I really should post the various cultural differences between Allanak and Tuluk regarding these things I've had in mind.

Quote from: Patuk on September 07, 2014, 05:12:33 PM
Both cities have an enormous amount of devout, law-abiding, upstanding people. I really don't think adding to that is going to make anything more fun.

Find out IC.

Now if Tektolnes would just show up in the Gaj now and then, giving people heart attacks by walking in and buying an ale, flirting with some off-duty aide, and then walking out again...

Well, he'd probably give people heart attacks, for sure.

Quote from: icewindsong on September 08, 2014, 02:36:49 AM
Now if Tektolnes would just show up in the Gaj now and then, giving people heart attacks by walking in and buying an ale, flirting with some off-duty aide, and then walking out again...

Why would Tek bother with an aide?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Ask a black robe..?

I'm quite pleased to see the return of the devotions NPC.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Barzalene on September 08, 2014, 08:29:03 AM
Why would Tek bother with an aide?

Quote from: Patuk on September 08, 2014, 08:56:37 AM
Ask a black robe..?

I played a Red Robe's aide. It was pretty superfluous.

Tektolnes doesn't go to the Gaj, he'd just pick the Gaj up and float it over to him. Luckily he tells me he doesn't like the ale there, so he doesn't plan to do that.

Or maybe Vennant IS Tektolnes.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

I really like devotions, and wish there were something similar in Tuluk (where it would almost feel more appropriate, in a way). I usually play it very casual, like going to church on Sunday. You miss several, but when you have the time and you are around to do it, you make your ass travel to the Gate at dawn. I also usually play it so if my PC is walking the streets at dawn, or passes by a Templar, he makes his way over for devotions.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Rahnevyn on September 08, 2014, 11:34:53 AM
Or maybe Vennant IS Tektolnes.

mods?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Maybe Tek is like the hive queen and ALL the NPCs are him.  You should think twice before killing random NPCs on the street.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

give head vendor