poll: finding mentors

Started by Harmless, September 04, 2014, 12:35:00 PM

How long did it take you to find a mentor in game (hours of playtime / RL days playing)?

<3 hours or on my first RL day playing
15 (25.4%)
3-8 hours or two RL days
14 (23.7%)
9-15 hours or three RL days
4 (6.8%)
16-23 hours or 4-5 RL days
1 (1.7%)
24+ hours / about a RL week
2 (3.4%)
Much more than a week or after the first character into playing
7 (11.9%)
After 2 or more PCs
4 (6.8%)
I never really had a mentor when I was new.
12 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: October 04, 2014, 12:35:00 PM

Mentor, womentor, who sees any Tor these days?

In all seriousness, I don't think I had any specific mentor during my first year playing. I remember ending up in a clan that was really quiet at the time, and fortunately the clan immortal (Ashyom) was really good about animating to help a confused newbie in a lonely crafting hall.

Once I joined Kurac about a year after I started playing, you couldn't swing a dead quirri without hitting a mentor. The clan was full of them. (Mentors, not dead quirri.)
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: flurry on September 04, 2014, 08:05:38 PM
In all seriousness, I don't think I had any specific mentor during my first year playing. I remember ending up in a clan that was really quiet at the time

I think that's what really happened to me, maybe that's why I don't remember having a mentor...
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I said 2 days because I don't think I played the first character longer than a day.  My first PC got into a clan, but it was a dead clan and I didn't have a mentor really.  But a Kadian dragged me out of a Kadian shop with my second PC and into awesome.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Damn those Helpers are helpful... so much we need in-game mentors.  :-X

Quote from: musashi on May 27, 2011, 06:24:12 AM
No no you see, by date Ghost means "chased his wife around the house with his penis till she cried".

I don't think I had a specific mentor. I would say I got a slow foothold into the game in different environments (the Labyrinth, Kurac, AoD, Salarr, and the independently run Hunter's Guild). There was wide array of excellent players in each clan that made me less of a noob and still influence how I play today. I think when you have a group of good players to play with, learning just automatically comes forth from that.

Quote from: Symphony on September 04, 2014, 08:16:31 PM

I hate to say this but I never used the Chat.  I mostly asked around here.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on September 04, 2014, 08:17:33 PM
Quote from: Symphony on September 04, 2014, 08:16:31 PM

I hate to say this but I never used the Chat.  I mostly asked around here.

Even the best solutions don't always have the advertising they need.

Quote from: musashi on May 27, 2011, 06:24:12 AM
No no you see, by date Ghost means "chased his wife around the house with his penis till she cried".

Quote from: Harmless on September 04, 2014, 05:54:58 PM
Quote from: Rahnevyn on September 04, 2014, 05:05:49 PM
Moved this from the New Player Questions forum to here, since it was neither posted by a new player nor a question.

Wasn't aware new players are the only ones allowed to start threads on new players forum, but noted.

It is in the little synopsis for the subforum, and the stickied post at the top...and it is also called New Player Questions.  That is actually what it is for, a recognizable spot for new players to come in and know it's okay to pop in newbie style questions.

QuoteAre you a new player with questions about the game? Feel free to ask questions here; they will be answered as soon as possible.

Quote from: Nyr on February 14, 2013, 08:55:11 AM
New players:  Ask your questions here, and don't worry whether or not they sound stupid -- we've all been in your shoes!  If you want to have a less public discussion of your questions, you can always seek out a helper here in our helper chat.

Everyone else:  Be courteous and helpful.  You've been here before, too!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

My first mentor was Pearl.  My PC tripped over a Borsail noble that was ready to kill me way back in 2002, and she convinced him to let me not be deaded.

I didn't quite grasp permadeath yet but it kinda hit me right in the face at that moment:  oh, the stupid thing I just did around a PC might have actually gotten me killed.

It still wasn't my first PC, though, it was my third.  I had to get used to being in a game that wasn't going to let me just murder mobs in the city to make my skills rise up all pretty-like.  I attribute most of the credit to me getting hooked on the game to Pearl, the rest to forcefully imposed RL boredom that comes from breaking bones.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Moved this from the New Player Questions forum to here, since it was neither posted by a new player nor a question.

Wasn't aware new players are the only ones allowed to start threads on new players forum, but noted.

This Use to be the "Ask the Players" folder instead of "New Player Questions."
It was the place where most polls like this ended up.  Old habits can be hard to break.  ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Well I misclicked my vote, but it was under 3 hours played. Horb I think his name was, got me a job for Tenneshi too.
3/21/16 Never Forget

September 04, 2014, 08:58:03 PM #36 Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:04:39 PM by Harmless
Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 04, 2014, 08:52:15 PM

This Use to be the "Ask the Players" folder instead of "New Player Questions."
It was the place where most polls like this ended up.  Old habits can be hard to break.  ;)

Niiiice save. I'm gonna go with THIS as my excuse...  ;)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

What's a mentor?  In-game, I mean?

out of game, my sister IRL.. she's been guiding me about some things to stay alive, and frustrating me in others by saying "go find out" :P  I mostly agree with that, but sometimes I think there's more we should know from just living in the world than the helpfiles tell in any detail.

A mentor is a PC that is willing to teach the new player and the PC of that player the ropes of the game.
Fredd-

ICly: A more experienced PC who takes less experienced PCs under their wing.

Damn you, Sookiebar! :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Ha!  I win this time!
Fredd-

I ran into one of LoD's awesome elves within a few hours of getting in-game and was pretty much hooked. He took what looked to be a couple other dumb newbies under his wing too and whipped us into shape a little bit.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

My first mentor was Mr. B, playing Murk the peg-legged Mul for Kadius. He was fucking fantastic. It took me maybe 3-4 in-game hours before I joined his clan(by way of forum advice) and he taught me a lot of shit.

Thanks Mr. B.

That character died, I played a few others, then I got my first ever special app, and Murk killed him after a day played and I wasn't even mad. Got Karma for that death.

flying_erdlu, back in the day....
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Ravan Ishil-Ravan. He was the Crew Leader for the Amber Wyverns at the time (wasn't terribly long ago, really). I remember that bitchin' name. Eventually I disappeared for a while, and when I came back a RL year later I figured a new character was the better option.

Quote from: Nyr on September 04, 2014, 08:31:03 PM
My first mentor was Pearl.  My PC tripped over a Borsail noble that was ready to kill me way back in 2002, and she convinced him to let me not be deaded.

I didn't quite grasp permadeath yet but it kinda hit me right in the face at that moment:  oh, the stupid thing I just did around a PC might have actually gotten me killed.

It still wasn't my first PC, though, it was my third.  I had to get used to being in a game that wasn't going to let me just murder mobs in the city to make my skills rise up all pretty-like.  I attribute most of the credit to me getting hooked on the game to Pearl, the rest to forcefully imposed RL boredom that comes from breaking bones.

It's hard for me to visualize you as a newb. Funny.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Stijn, the Krathi guard to the Nenyuk PC at the time (whose name I can't remember) took pity on me and led me to the Byn. He was played by Tlaloc who was Imming it at that time. From there:

Quote from: Desertman on September 04, 2014, 05:02:26 PM
Sergeants Amurac and Stevith, T'zai Byn. (Both Sergeants at the same time with my PC being a Runner/Trooper under them both.)

I even had a Nekrete latrine cleaning song that I made up to the tune of "Dixie".
They put up with so much of my stupidity. So...so...much.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I played under Stevith!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on September 05, 2014, 07:24:42 AM
I played under Stevith!

Stevith was only my third char. My first mentor was a Kuraci Agent who whisked me off to Luirs within ten minutes of starting the game.   Definitely helped me learn a few things, but unfortunately, nobody told me not to go outside alone... only lasted four days played. Wish I could remember his name.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

Bumped into a templar the first hour after chargen. Assigned to his aide to train for an assistant position and shown the ropes from that point on. The templar gave me a pair of purple pouched boots, I thought they were the awesomest item in the whole game.

This was back when the two buildings on Stonecarver's near the furniture shop were rentable through a Nenyuk PC agent. The templar had the one on the north side, and it had some amazing furniture in it including an enormous azure dragon couch and an oversized wardrobe or cabinets or something.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.