Special applications and opportunities

Started by Nyr, August 20, 2014, 09:36:51 AM

August 27, 2014, 04:28:37 PM #50 Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:13:55 AM by Barzalene
Quote from: Beethoven on August 27, 2014, 03:07:04 PM
Even as deeply-ingrained as the stigma against mutation is, I'd suspect that more than a handful of Zalanthans would swear that they would do exactly what you described and kill the infant freak, but might reconsider if actually put in that position. The parent-child bond, particularly the mother-child bond (since she has had a relationship of sorts with the child for months before its birth) is hardwired and primal, transcending reason. I suspect that a lot of Zalanthan parents, unable to slaughter their own babies, would abandon them in an alley instead, assuring themselves that the situation is out of their hands.

However, I'm inclined to think that there are many others who would be unable to do even that. I imagine that most of them would try to hide the child's mutation if possible, and if the mutation is too severe to hide, instead attempt to conceal the child's existence. Such children would almost certainly never be treated as well as any "normal" siblings, and would probably be expected to go out on their own as soon as possible, retaining only an uneasy relationship with the parents, if any.

I don't doubt that there would be Zalanthans who would smother the infant in an instant rather than be exposed to...whatever made it look that way. But I don't think that parents grudgingly raising a mutant child would be that off-the-wall.

When I played a family kadian, I had an awesome imm. She roled for pregnancy,  miscarriage, stillbirth, death in childbirth and birth defects. Had a child with an extra finger. Me and my cousin did what any good parent would do. We chopped that finger off and rode to Luirs and claimed an elf attacked us.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: HavokBlue on August 27, 2014, 03:46:43 PM
Unless the docs have changed significantly since or my memory is falling apart, the stigma against mutation isn't nearly as strong as some of you guys are making it out to be. Particularly in Red Storm, where they are mentioned to be more common, or Tuluk, where mutants have played a significant historical role (see: Thryzn).

I think the docs, for the most part, are referring to more subtle mutations than a tail that would require pants modifications.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 27, 2014, 10:51:41 PM
Unless the docs have changed significantly since or my memory is falling apart, the stigma against mutation isn't nearly as strong as some of you guys are making it out to be. Particularly in Red Storm, where they are mentioned to be more common, or Tuluk, where mutants have played a significant historical role (see: Thryzn).

I think the docs, for the most part, are referring to more subtle mutations than a tail that would require pants modifications.

You can expect the more severe the mutation the more sever the stigma. Someone with two heads, for example, would likely never survive in zalanthas past birth. Someone with a tail would likely be treated with some of the same contempt and disgust a breed would face.

August 28, 2014, 05:32:04 AM #53 Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:46:29 AM by FantasyWriter
Nod, RGS.

Also, Beethoven (RE: Parenthood), remember that selling children into slavery and leaving to die of exposure due to financial hardship or other social/personal reason is far from being a rare occurrence on Zalanthas.  Look at Earth: people STILL let children die of exposure, sometimes for no more reason than being born the wrong sex.  People still sell their own children into slavery (usually as sex slaves).
It hasn't been too long, since selling children into slavery was both legal common place in many counties.

Warm gooey feelings for your children don't happen for everyone at or before birth (otherwise late term abortion wouldn't be an issue at all). Sometimes, it doesn't happen at all.
Most people, even moderate pro-lifers, like myself feel that abortion is acceptable when a child will have mental/physical issues that will leave them with a poor quality of life.  Zalanthans are much less forgiven than Terran humans. Mutation is a social stigma, even in the best of cases. At worst, it is "evidence" of abominable magicks.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

That being said, playing a mutant can lead to some GREAT RP.
I am far from being anti-mutant, OOCly.

Proof, one of my OLD PCs:
Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 11, 2009, 08:11:06 PM
Thought I'd posted this is this thread before, but I guess not....

Dusaar (the clawed, razor-toothed mutant [dwarf])

Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 27, 2014, 11:02:20 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 27, 2014, 10:51:41 PM

You can expect the more severe the mutation the more sever the stigma. Someone with two heads, for example, would likely never survive in zalanthas past birth. Someone with a tail would likely be treated with some of the same contempt and disgust a breed would face.

Or maybe they become successful businessmen

Grobbuluk says hi
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I know selling one's child or letting them die is not rare on Zalanthas, and it has happened historically and continues to happen, sadly, on Earth.

I'm just saying that it isn't unrealistic to expect that parental instincts would take over in some cases. Doesn't seem crazy at all to me. Killing/selling/abandoning the mutant is not the only realistic Zalanthan reaction, IMO.

But all of this is off-topic, of course.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 28, 2014, 05:49:12 AM
That being said, playing a mutant can lead to some GREAT RP.
I am far from being anti-mutant, OOCly.

Proof, one of my OLD PCs:
Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 11, 2009, 08:11:06 PM
Thought I'd posted this is this thread before, but I guess not....

Dusaar (the clawed, razor-toothed mutant [dwarf])

No way he's a mutant. He looks like most Amosi.

For my last mutant's background I had the effects of his mutation (uneven scales that grew over old wounds instead of normal scar tissue) start in his early teens. In a sense his mutation manifested late.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2