Modification to "Reroll" command

Started by Incognito, August 03, 2014, 05:12:35 AM

August 03, 2014, 05:12:35 AM Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:18:24 AM by Incognito
Can we have the "reroll" command slightly modified as under:

reroll - will reroll your PC according to the stat order / or random order chosen during char creation - as it works right now.
reroll (stat1, stat2, stat3, stat4) - will reroll your PC according to the new stat order you choose.
reroll random - will reroll your PC with random stats - ignoring the stat order you chose during char creation.

There are times, when you've chosen a particular stat order during char creation, and then, when you do enter the game, you might want to change priorities. Or, simply have the stat order ignored and opt for a random roll based on race/guild/age. This will allow a greater freedom to do so. Will be especially useful if you've just spent some chargen points to have a spec-app approved, and want to fine-tune your stats.

I agree - its not a HUGE necessity, but it will definitely give some more freedom to tweak your stats on your 2nd and final reroll, once your PC is in the game.

Edited to add:
If you've stat ordered during char creation, and find your initial starting stats aren't as good as you expected, then chances are your reroll's not gonna be "that" different either. This will allow you to cancel the initial stat order, and roll random stats, which is what you really want sometimes.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I'm Quirrilicious and I approve this message.

Paid for by the Commission for Arm Improvements.

this suggestion doesn't bother me at all so I guess that means i approve of it also.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I'm not sure I really understand the need.

Is it just in case you change your mind  on how your stats should be ordered after your character gets accepted? Not sure I've ever done that before.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 03, 2014, 11:54:59 AM

Is it just in case you change your mind  on how your stats should be ordered after your character gets accepted? Not sure I've ever done that before.

I've done it a few times. My solution to it has been to just stop prioritizing altogether and accept a random roll (and/or reroll and/or reroll-undo)

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 03, 2014, 11:54:59 AM

I didn't feel the need for this earlier too. But lately, I've been experiencing that the initial roll as well as the second roll when you've ordered your stats - sometimes go bad - both times in a row.

Its just dependent on the race/guild/age you picked.

If this doesn't get implemented - I'm inclined to go with Lizzie's solution - not stat order at all, and just go with the random rolls.

Since we have limited opportunities to apply for special apps, this is something I felt would help. But like I said in my initial post - its not really a top priority issue. Just something that would be immensely helpful to have.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I don't dig this, but I dig Lizzie's suggestion.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think having another option would be great. That's why I posted how I've been doing it. Because - lacking any other option, I've found that not prioritizing at all, is better than prioritizing, regretting the priority you made, and not being able to unprioritize with the reroll.

Sorry, I like my stat priorities just like they are. It's why I set them that way. I don't see stat rolls being completely randomized as being healthy, say, like getting poor agi on a pickpocket. If I want to play that, I'll start as an old man and put agi last, I don't dig that at all.

You choose how your priorities are set, user error means, whoops! Did that with one of my first PCs, and you know what? I had -so- much fun with that one, despite being unable to use one of the highlight skills of that guild. Still, that was my choice. Take that choice away with me, and I get shit stats for my guild's primary stats, I'm going to be right pissed off. I mean, if I wanted shit stats for the skills I use, I'd pick a certain class that always seems to get bad rolls.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on August 04, 2014, 02:10:14 AM
Sorry, I like my stat priorities just like they are. It's why I set them that way. I don't see stat rolls being completely randomized as being healthy, say, like getting poor agi on a pickpocket. If I want to play that, I'll start as an old man and put agi last, I don't dig that at all.

You choose how your priorities are set, user error means, whoops! Did that with one of my first PCs, and you know what? I had -so- much fun with that one, despite being unable to use one of the highlight skills of that guild. Still, that was my choice. Take that choice away with me, and I get shit stats for my guild's primary stats, I'm going to be right pissed off. I mean, if I wanted shit stats for the skills I use, I'd pick a certain class that always seems to get bad rolls.

Hey Fujikoma, in all fairness, we're not in a concentration camp here - its a game - and people make mistakes. Just coz someone makes an error during initial app, doesn't mean they need to live with it! You're most welcome to stick to your initial choice - if you feel so strongly about it. There's really no reason your personal feelings on the matter need to be applicable to the rest of the players. The suggestion IS made, to help players who might've made a mistake in the first place!!

Quote from: Incognito on August 04, 2014, 04:29:32 AM
Quote from: Fujikoma on August 04, 2014, 02:10:14 AM

Hey Fujikoma, in all fairness, we're not in a concentration camp here - its a game - and people make mistakes. Just coz someone makes an error during initial app, doesn't mean they need to live with it! You're most welcome to stick to your initial choice - if you feel so strongly about it. There's really no reason your personal feelings on the matter need to be applicable to the rest of the players. The suggestion IS made, to help players who might've made a mistake in the first place!!

While I think it would be a nice change, some are suggesting doing away with prioritization entirely, or so it seems from what I've read, as a possible solution. I get what you're saying. Honestly, though it seems complicated, if the time and resources are there to code up the ability to reroll stats with different priorities, I certainly wouldn't object, but I think maybe I didn't express exactly what my concern was clearly enough.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

There is no call for nor the justification for removal of stat prioritisation at all!

That is a standard feature of the game, that should remain unchanged.

Fuji I'm not calling for the elimination of the option to prioritize (which is a relatively new feature that didn't used to exist).

I'm saying that I don't use prioritization, because I've used it in the past and didn't like how it turned out and was not able to UNDO that prioritization. So, since there's no option to UNprioritize, after the fact, I've chosen not to prioritize in the first place.

If there was an option to UNprioritize after the fact, I'd probably at least try to prioritize on certain occasions when I want my character's stats to be at least similar to the personality I've set up for her.

wtb point allocation system a la Fallout, pst

Oh hell no.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

If you make a mistake prior to getting into the game (you selected prioritization or not and wish to change priority or whatever BEFORE you have actually rolled any stats) you can put in a request to have this reviewed and we can take a look at it and fix it for you.  Having an automated process for handling completely rare player mistakes isn't needed for that.

However, once you have made the call and are actually rolling your stats, you must take some responsibility for the choices you made.  Either you prioritized or you did not and you are stuck with the results or two potential rolls.  If it is truly unplayable, you may put in a request to staff.  Of the stat change requests put in since we added reroll undo/stat priority, none of them have been filed because a player prioritized things and got something they selected at #1 too low.

Or maybe one of them.  I think they wanted exceptional and we told them "you got extremely good, that's...extremely good, literally."

If you prioritized your stats in a certain order, you know that whatever you put as the top one (probably even the top two) will not be shitty.  You prioritize because you feel that the top stat is important enough to your character concept that you really need to have it be as high as possible.  Example, you're rolling a warrior in the Byn and you want to play a brute strength human guy.  You would put strength high if your concept absolutely needs it.  Once you roll, you aren't going to see strength be shitty.  It may not be what you want (AI), but it will be playable and useful for your character concept.

Rerolling and stat priority are ways to reduce the unplayability of a character.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I never even knew you could put in a request for that.  8)

Oh.  I remember the days of no stat priority and no undoing rerolls.  Those were some moments of pure elation and dread that resulted in some crazy shenanigans to keep the character codedly relevant.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger