Adrenaline

Started by TheWanderer, July 12, 2014, 07:38:52 PM

Typed it in the search bar, skimmed the first page, found it lacking in topics, shrugged, and now I'm here. Let's do this.

CHARACTERS gain a boost of adrenaline during a prolonged combat encounter.

If SexyMcgee the Bynner (or anyone, for that matter) has been in continuous combat for five minutes, he/she gains an adrenaline boost. A percentage of health/stamina/stun/magick is returned, and stats are given a -slight- increase.

I haven't given much thought to specific numbers, but those could always be tweaked. It's just the idea I've become infatuated with. So... no?

Whatever happens, happens.

July 12, 2014, 07:41:54 PM #1 Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:43:35 PM by QuillDipper
I had a character concept once for a warrior who got tougher the closer he was to death. This sounds similar enough that I'm all for it.

Though making it time based seems weird. Really it SHOULD be based on HP. Fighting for a while makes you tired, nearly dying not so much
Part-Time Internets Lady

I agree with the HP part, other wise I dig this idea.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

The way I'd like to see it (keeping in mind I have no idea how coding works)....

At some point under 50% HP (A fixed value, or possibly a shifting threshold. High Endurance = Higher percent?) you hit your adrenaline point. Your ST and MV would go up (not sure about Mana, but thats just cuz i dont really know what mana is in Zalanathas) and you'd gain a noticable increase to your stats. Not enough to suddenly make the scrawny teen a jacked beserker, but enough to give them a bit more of a chance. Once they hit that threshold they have a limited time before it wears off, and they lose the bonus ST and MV and then some (to represent the crashing from the high) and their stats return to normal. they have to heal up back up full before they could pull another one of these, so they aren't always running around 1hp away from roiding out at all times for the sake of the minor stat boost.
Part-Time Internets Lady

No thanks. If anything, I'd like to see stamina and combat proficiency go down the more injured you are. Nothing worse than seeing someone at 10%hp after taking some grievous blows to the legs suddenly sprint away at full speed. Or that gith who is near death and bleeding from multiple heavy wounds suddenly fighting like he's at 100%.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 12, 2014, 08:46:05 PM
No thanks. If anything, I'd like to see stamina and combat proficiency go down the more injured you are. Nothing worse than seeing someone at 10%hp after taking some grievous blows to the legs suddenly sprint away at full speed. Or that gith who is near death and bleeding from multiple heavy wounds suddenly fighting like he's at 100%.

Quote from: TheWanderer on July 12, 2014, 07:38:52 PM
stats are given a -slight- increase.

I haven't given much thought to specific numbers, but those could always be tweaked.

I'd suggest asking staff to introduce a tick mechanic if you want stamina and combat proficiency to go down. Right now, during combat, you only lose stamina when a skill is activated. You could have two swordsman fight for fifteen hours straight and never lose a single point of stamina. A point every 3-7 seconds might be nice, and a trickling loss to stats that could only be recuperated through resting to max HP/ST (or both), but this is about adrenaline, dammit.

Quote from: QuillDipper on July 12, 2014, 07:58:25 PM
The way I'd like to see it (keeping in mind I have no idea how coding works)....

At some point under 50% HP (A fixed value, or possibly a shifting threshold. High Endurance = Higher percent?) you hit your adrenaline point. Your ST and MV would go up (not sure about Mana, but thats just cuz i dont really know what mana is in Zalanathas) and you'd gain a noticable increase to your stats. Not enough to suddenly make the scrawny teen a jacked beserker, but enough to give them a bit more of a chance. Once they hit that threshold they have a limited time before it wears off, and they lose the bonus ST and MV and then some (to represent the crashing from the high) and their stats return to normal. they have to heal up back up full before they could pull another one of these, so they aren't always running around 1hp away from roiding out at all times for the sake of the minor stat boost.

See... that makes me feel like I should've titled the thread "Second Wind"

time is harder to manipulate for gains in combat than set HP, doe.

Well, I mean... Adrenaline just doesn't function like that. If anything it would kick in before the fight ever started, or the first time you slipped and let a blow past your defenses. And even then, despite popular beliefs, it's not going to suddenly make you significantly stronger/more agile/less exhausted. Regardless of how many times you've heard that story of a person lifting a car off of a person crushed underneath.

Having experienced adrenalin, I beg to marginally differ. I can't say I could lift a car, but I was never able to dunk while playing basketball, and yet, towards the end of a game we were losing, I stole the ball and took off down the court. And I dunked it. I did it another time the play after getting blocked. I went at the same guy and dunked on him. I've dunked twice in my life on a legal-height rim, and both times I experienced adrenalin.

Yeh, it enhances things.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 12, 2014, 09:27:09 PM
And even then, despite popular beliefs, it's not going to suddenly make you significantly stronger/more agile/less exhausted.

Operative word bolded there. Odds are you're not as far away from your ability to dunk as you think. Have you tried replicating it since without it being a live game? I have no doubt that adrenaline can be the difference between dunking and not dunking, but the difference is likely a couple centimeters in your jump, not some unattainable gap that a week or two of practicing wouldn't overcome. How are you going to translate that into stat boosts and stamina gains? It's just too small a difference.

Even if it wasn't such a small difference that still doesn't change the fact that In a fight adrenaline is pumping no matter what. Not at some specific point where you're injured just enough for your brain to realize "bone swords hurt."

The main thing that adrenaline affects is the fight-or-flight response. Among other things that leads to an increased heart-rate and energy levels, muscle contraction, and a general sense of focus (via dilated pupils and tunnel vision, temporary loss of hearing, etc.). In the game setting it would likely not affect strength, but could affect stamina/endurance, agility, offense, and the flee skill.

As RGS stated though, it's something that would most likely kick in at the start of a fight, when the threat was perceived. And it would likely kick in for the defender more than the attacker. One could potentially argue that for a seasoned war veteran it might only kick in after significant HP loss, since someone with that sort of training might not perceive every combat as a threat unless it actually came to life-or-death. But it's debatable, and I'll also agree with RGS on how minimal the effect would be either way in terms of realism and coded effects.

All that's justification though. I'm personally just wondering what this would add to the game, besides something new and shiny.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Right, So, in game, such a thing would improve str slightly, And Even endurance...But it would also drastically lower AGI and wis along with perception skills.

Why, because that is what it really does.

Oh, I am against any such idea..as it would add nothing good to the game.

..As to ticking stam down...jeez, you really think warriors need yet another major nerf?

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

July 13, 2014, 08:23:37 AM #11 Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:27:56 AM by RogueGunslinger
PSh. Warriors should be buffed if anything.

Give them Execute: Any pc subdued(by someone else) or below a certain hp(25%) can be executed for a command-emotable insta-kill. Make it branch from a weapon skill.

Also a Hogtie skill, for binding people up doing with them what you will, dragging them behind your mount and whatnot.

Obsidian-clad mountain attacks obsidian-clad boulder

115hp 120mv 100st

Mountain kills boulder

75hp 120mv 64st

Mountain attacks forest

After a lengthy battle, mountain is victorious -- oh, but what's this? Mountain used disarm during the conflict!

50hp 112mv 65st
---------------------
You should have more of an incentive to rest than, "hey, I'm bleeding from every orifice, I should sit down."

Currently, everybody can get up in terrible condition and fight like they're 100%. That's lame. I just cut you up into ribbons. Feel the fatigue of blood loss, bro.

I'll admit to not having played a buffed up warrior since, like, 2013, but I don't think this would break them, just remove some of the "after thirty rounds of combat, slaying five members of the Byn, Amos sprints off into the sands, a bounce to his step." Another reason to prioritize endurance.

Trickling effect to stats and stamina s'all I'm sayin' to slowly whittle down combat profiency as the battle draws on, and the burst of adrenaline to regain some of what's lost for a set amount of time.

You'll fully recharge after resting/sleeping, young man.

Quote from: X-D on July 13, 2014, 08:12:06 AM
Right, So, in game, such a thing would improve str slightly, And Even endurance...But it would also drastically lower AGI and wis along with perception skills.

Actually strength would be unaffected for the most, while agility would increase, not decrease. With you on wis and perception skills lowering though, yes. All of which is just arguing semantics really.

The only viable and practical use I could see for this, since minor boosts and hinders to stats should be too negligible to even bother coding if implemented realistically, would be a small boost to the flee skill for the first 2-3 rounds of a fight. Likely followed by a lowering of it for 4-6 rounds after that, both to offset the boost and illustrate that you've chosen to fight instead of flee. The effect itself could be triggered at random at the start of every fight that you're a defender in, with a "You feel a rush of adrenaline" cluing in the defending player that the effect kicked in.

That would at least simulate the effects of fight-or-flight somewhat, while offering a tactical choice with some meaning. Unlike just a small increase and/or decrease in stats, which seems like it would be just adding complexity for complexity's sake.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.  Also, adrenaline happens at the beginning of a fight, not in the middle.  At least in the couple fights I've ever been in in my life.  Also it's not uniformly beneficial.  It makes your hands shake and it screws with your thought processes and perceptions.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

QuoteActually strength would be unaffected for the most, while agility would increase, not decrease. With you on wis and perception skills lowering though, yes. All of which is just arguing semantics really.

The only viable and practical use I could see for this, since minor boosts and hinders to stats should be too negligible to even bother coding if implemented realistically, would be a small boost to the flee skill for the first 2-3 rounds of a fight. Likely followed by a lowering of it for 4-6 rounds after that, both to offset the boost and illustrate that you've chosen to fight instead of flee. The effect itself could be triggered at random at the start of every fight that you're a defender in, with a "You feel a rush of adrenaline" cluing in the defending player that the effect kicked in.

That would at least simulate the effects of fight-or-flight somewhat, while offering a tactical choice with some meaning. Unlike just a small increase and/or decrease in stats, which seems like it would be just adding complexity for complexity's sake.

Actually, Adrenalin cause a MARKED loss of fine motor control....Now, I know that is more dex then Agi, but since Arm combines the two, you would lose on that. It increases heart rate, blood flow, etc and maximizes blood flow to the large muscles while decreasing it to other areas, also lessoning fine motor control, also increases how glucose is used, thereby increasing strength and endurance.

Many people also experience the shakes during high adrenalin periods, further decreasing agility and dex.

Again, if arm had agility and dex separate We would be agreeing...But it does not.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

July 13, 2014, 12:31:41 PM #16 Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:34:01 PM by Dresan

Yeah, I think this is what morgenes was leaning more towards when someone posted something about hating having to fight certain things for 1 hour before it died, because they couldn't kill you through heavy armor and you couldn't hit them.

I kinda agree. In fact I rather see all fighting abilities begin to drop under 50% hp, then then some more under 25% hp, and again at 10% hp. I like the idea that under 10 % you probably shouldn't be running away on your own legs at full speed. You should be considering running under 50% hp anyways . basically if you get stabbed in the back, you are bleeding all over the place, you probably shouldn't really stand up and destroying your assailant without any effort unless they really suck and you are really amazing.  

Then again I'm one of those people that believes there should be stamina drain during a fight and it should affect your performance as well eventually.

The only reason I could see something like this helping is when two near-max'd warriors face off with each other, it comes down to silly things like landed kicks, or lucky disarms, etc. It'd be interesting if there were factors beyond the PC's control (Adrenaline boost, or stamina drain from prolonged encounters) to end combat quicker at those late stages of skill.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: X-D on July 13, 2014, 11:57:49 AMAgain, if arm had agility and dex separate We would be agreeing...But it does not.

Point. I just chose to side with agility over dex since it's actually called agility. If we had both though, yes, it'd be increased agility and decreased dexterity. Still semantics though, as I think whatever boost this would give realistically should be too small to even warrant coding.

Warriors have plenty of stam drain during a fight...more then any other class.

And that is without certain things that they for some reason cannot turn off sapping stam.

And since I know people are going to be like "No they don't and neither do other classes!"

All I have to say to that is...least I know which of you are safe to fight.
Lizzie:

It's interesting that no one thought to mention to negative implications of adrenaline. You'd be so fired up that you'd not notice you're bleeding critically from a wound, and just pass out and die.

Let's keep this stuff RP'd as it's just asking for a world of complications otherwise.

The problem right now is people REFUSING to Role-Play during PvP and such encounters because they prefer to just watch a wall of text appear on their screen. Adding something like this will just add to the problem of people bouncing up in their seats, checking their stats/prompts constantly for changes, while their characters just slug it out without any animation whatsoever.

Nope, don't like this codely at all.
Have a Skeeteriffic day!