Crim-code and such

Started by Reiloth, July 10, 2014, 09:40:20 PM

where else do you think northern templars are going to go to train their unarmed skill? they can't beat down tuluki commoners. that's not subtle.

It'd be nice if there was a tiered more nuanced crim code based on social status.

0 Guba the Foreigner
1 Amos the Grebber.
2 Grunter the low level Kadian employee.
--------------------------------------------------------------------IMPORTANCE LINE
3 Malik the Kadius Agent/Kilam the Salarr Agent/Guardie the Fale Guard
4 Molesto the Kadius Senior Agent
5 Fancypants the Fale Noble
6 Templar Tinydick

Anyone below the importance line who engages in crime is still arrested
automatically for crimes. Anyone attacking any law enforcement is still
arrested automatically for their crimes. If Kalim attacks Grunter he is arrested since
they are too close in social status. If Kalim attacks Amos then the guards
are uneasy and just report it. The report gets put on the templar desk as an
actual scroll by a clerk.

Scroll reads.
-Guards report Agent Kilam of Salarr attacking  some grebber in the streets.

Tinydick reads the report. Calls in Kilam and gets his bribe, gives a sterner
warning, etc.

Also, if you are in the same clan and you are guarding/following  someone in your clan you
get the benefit of the higher rank between you and whoever you are guarding. So
Grunter calls Fancypants a bitch and he has Guardie (who is guarding him) attack
Grunter. Guardie has the benefit of Fancypants' status so the NPCs look the other way
and a report is filed. Tinydick investigates and the noble explains and it is shrugged off.

Of course status adjustments for citizen/noncitizen, where the importance line is, and how
big of a gap allows you to beat on someone would have to be decided.PC soldiers could
still make their own decisions to arrest whoever. It might make templars lives more interesting
or maybe not. The could smirk and crumple up scrolls as a waste of time?

February 23, 2015, 12:59:41 PM #54 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:03:13 PM by Delirium
A hardnosed, blue-robed templar gets a thin leather scroll from his dragon-embossed carrying-case.

A hardnosed, blue-robed templar gets a thin leather scroll from his dragon-embossed carrying-case.

A hardnosed, blue-robed templar says, in southern-accented sirihish:
    "Now, Malik, you haven't been behaving too well, but I've been turning a blind eye to it... but after today's nonsense, I require a donation of 1,000 obsidian to help ensure that I continue to ignore the contents of these scrolls. Or you can simply go to jail for a month. Up to you."

Templars could also forge infraction scrolls if they're annoyed enough at someone. Or just to fuck with their day.

I love the idea of a more robust crimcode. The way things are has always made me feel like I'm way too important as a nobody grebber or breed or whatever. The shoulders should not care if someone punches me in the face outside the Gaj, nor should they care if some southern noble wants to carry spice through the gates.

February 23, 2015, 02:30:37 PM #56 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:33:53 PM by KankWhisperer
Yeah and add a wow style dueling system, at least in the South.
Amos: challenge Malik
Malik: accept Amos

When they fight, there is no crim code intervention as long as no one interferes in that room. Once someone flees then it is over and crim code returns while they live with the shame.

Of course the victor will have to live with the consequences politically of killing their opponent. If soldiers see it and one of the people is above the importance line, templar gets a scroll.

Combining it with my previous idea dueling a noble (or anyone of higher rank) could still be a bad idea since they could call their minions for aid which would trigger crim code. However it would likely only result in a report scroll.

Quote from: Beethoven on February 23, 2015, 01:02:33 PM
I love the idea of a more robust crimcode. The way things are has always made me feel like I'm way too important as a nobody grebber or breed or whatever. The shoulders should not care if someone punches me in the face outside the Gaj, nor should they care if some southern noble wants to carry spice through the gates.
Southern nobles don't get searched at the gates, iirc. Noble players should test this without spice first just to be sure though.

They do get searched at the gates though, or at least they definitely get the echo that they are being searched.

It could be that some Houses do and some don't, on account of some perhaps archaic code that only takes certain noble clans into account.

For all we know, maybe some nobles are immune to crimcode??? The obvious solution is for every southern noble to go attack the nearest commoner and report back with results.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on February 23, 2015, 12:50:59 PM
If Kalim attacks Amos then the guards
are uneasy and just report it. The report gets put on the templar desk as an
actual scroll by a clerk.

And scrolls can be stolen! Yes!
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

I just want to reiterate that I absolutely LOVE the scrolls idea.

I don't believe the current writing code allows for automatically generated readable items.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Add this idea to the long list of reasons why the writing code needs fixing, then.

I could be wrong, but I believe in the past, what was said was that 'rewriting crimcode' was an incredibly daunting and messed up task, because it's woven into a bunch of different places and so on and so forth.

Being that I'm learning programming now, I think I am starting to understand what that means, so if they say they don't wanna mess with it, I don't really blame them.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

*clenches fist* They're AFRAID

count scroll table
There are 65 scrolls on the table.

A hardnosed, blue-robed templar sighs, looking back and forth after staring at the stack of scrolls.

get scroll table
junk scroll

get scroll table
junk scroll

<3 pages of spam>

Quote from: KankWhisperer on February 24, 2015, 10:04:56 AM
count scroll table
There are 65 scrolls on the table.

A hardnosed, blue-robed templar sighs, looking back and forth after staring at the stack of scrolls.

get scroll table
junk scroll

get scroll table
junk scroll

<3 pages of spam>

Well duh. No one likes paperwork! :D

That said, I think its a cool idea.

I've killed people publicly before.

Live your dreams.