Newb Questions

Started by roobee, July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

Do yourself a favor and stop planning what happens to your character, before you even get in-game. Your goal is for your character to become a known master chef, and your plan is to become that. That's all you really should be focusing on. Your character knows that Kadius has lots of cool foods. So whichever city your character starts in, he'll gravitate toward Kadius. Whether or not he actually ends up working for Kadius is another matter entirely. It's possible that the boss already has a master chef working in his direct employ and doesn't need another one right now. It could be that the Kadian boss in that city was killed yesterday and it'll be another RL month before you even see one who wants to hire crafters. It could be that the current Kadian boss and you have completely opposite play times and though he plays often, you will never get to see him. It could be they are looking for a chef, but they feel your character is the right one for the job.

In other words, don't try to reconcile the plotline before the character exists. There are just way too many variables in-game that would just prolong your non-playing if you had to consider each one prior to character generation.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on August 27, 2014, 06:53:44 PM
Do yourself a favor and stop planning what happens to your character, before you even get in-game. Your goal is for your character to become a known master chef, and your plan is to become that. That's all you really should be focusing on. Your character knows that Kadius has lots of cool foods. So whichever city your character starts in, he'll gravitate toward Kadius. Whether or not he actually ends up working for Kadius is another matter entirely. It's possible that the boss already has a master chef working in his direct employ and doesn't need another one right now. It could be that the Kadian boss in that city was killed yesterday and it'll be another RL month before you even see one who wants to hire crafters. It could be that the current Kadian boss and you have completely opposite play times and though he plays often, you will never get to see him. It could be they are looking for a chef, but they feel your character is the right one for the job.

In other words, don't try to reconcile the plotline before the character exists. There are just way too many variables in-game that would just prolong your non-playing if you had to consider each one prior to character generation.

This.

Quote from: manipura on August 27, 2014, 07:22:13 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on August 27, 2014, 06:53:44 PM

This.
+1

Most of my characters did NOT end up in the clan I thought they would when I made them.

Same here.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I know I can't plan everything out.  And at a certain point you need to lock your inner-strategist in a closet and get moving.  :)    I  sent my application in shortly after my last posting. 

I think its mostly reaction to the permadeath aspect - I want to try to avoid mistakes.  Because I'm excited :) and usually I'm on the other end of the spectrum with a game, don't read stuff like instructions and jump in and poke thigs with sticks til I figure them out.  And get eaten a lot by poking things with big teeeth.  But here that means starting over, so I was over-planning.

Quote from: icewindsong on August 27, 2014, 08:53:56 PM
  I  sent my application in shortly after my last posting. 

Dibs on her boots.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I know I can't plan everything out.  And at a certain point you need to lock your inner-strategist in a closet and get moving.  :)    I  sent my application in shortly after my last posting. 

I think its mostly reaction to the permadeath aspect - I want to try to avoid mistakes.  Because I'm excited :) and usually I'm on the other end of the spectrum with a game, don't read stuff like instructions and jump in and poke thigs with sticks til I figure them out.  And get eaten a lot by poking things with big teeeth.  But here that means starting over, so I was over-planning.

Congrats! You've leveled up already :)

Quote from: Cale_Knight on August 27, 2014, 08:57:15 PM
Dibs on her boots.

Hey, don't come in here and try sniping her boots from all of us that have been trying to get her in game SO WE CAN GET HER BOOTS! Dirty rinther.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

You're all boot addicts.. what are they made from spice?  Okay..  soon as I learn how, I'm making myself slippers instead. :P

Quote from: icewindsong on August 27, 2014, 10:01:49 PM
You're all boot addicts.. what are they made from spice? 

The Zalanthan economy is heavily dependent on a steady influx of boots from dead newbies.

Come do your part.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I think its mostly reaction to the permadeath aspect - I want to try to avoid mistakes. 

Don' t be too disappointed in yourself if your PC dies to a stupid mistake. It's like accidental death in real life.  Because of one very little mistake by "somebody"  or random juxtipostion.
                                         Your vision goes black

The code has its rough edges. Don't be afraid to Flee combat without any emotes.

Welcome to our story.  :)
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

You're all boot addicts.. what are they made from spice?  Okay..  soon as I learn how, I'm making myself slippers instead. :P

It's a running joke.
Fredd-

You should start a dwarf whose focus is aquiring other people's boots, restoring them to be as clean and well-repaired as possible, and defending his hoard.

Quote from: Barsook on August 28, 2014, 06:00:10 AM

It's a running joke.
Hah... Running... Joke.

I see what you did there!

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on August 28, 2014, 02:15:27 PM

It's a running joke.
Hah... Running... Joke.

I actually chuckle-groaned.

Yarrrr, look forward to meeting you IG! I'll be the one tugging your boots off before I deliver the killing blow.

Honestly, I'm nearly 100 PC's gone, there are people who've been playing twice as long as me who haven't had half as many PC's. Don't be afraid to die, after all, stories don't always play out the way we want to write them ;-)
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: bcw81 on August 28, 2014, 02:15:27 PM

It's a running joke.
Hah... Running... Joke.

Hmmm, didn't think there...;D
Fredd-

So in few days of playing I've discovered the joys of starving, getting lost, being chased by something (with teeth presumably), getting stuck in the wilderness (I suppose mounts must be important), and passing out in public places from experimenting with psi.  But I still have my boots :P  I can't say more, specifics are forbidden.

Did I miss any usual newbie experiences, besides dying in my first 3 hours?

Quote from: icewindsong on September 01, 2014, 10:52:30 PM
So in few days of playing I've discovered the joys of starving, getting lost, being chased by something (with teeth presumably), getting stuck in the wilderness (I suppose mounts must be important), and passing out in public places from experimenting with psi.  But I still have my boots :P  I can't say more, specifics are forbidden.

You didn't get nearly killed by a templar. Keep trying!
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

You have done well, young grasshopper.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

throw dagger newb e
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

On: conversation starters and general getting started.

I'm new. I've looked into joining a clan (which hopefully will happen soon but isn't a current happenstance for my character) and I definitely have Plans (of sorts, at least from my very currently limited knowledge of the game). From skimming the board it seems like a good place to meet people is in taverns, but I'll be frank in saying I have something of a hard time figuring out who is a PC, what type of PC they are, and how to get a conversational ball rolling. For reference, I'm playing in Tuluk and have a fighter character. I guess what I'm asking for is a little help with Tuluki small talk? Or... really any way to get involved in RP while I'm waiting.

Quote from: aeglaeca on November 03, 2014, 04:00:33 PM
On: conversation starters and general getting started.

I'm new. I've looked into joining a clan (which hopefully will happen soon but isn't a current happenstance for my character) and I definitely have Plans (of sorts, at least from my very currently limited knowledge of the game). From skimming the board it seems like a good place to meet people is in taverns, but I'll be frank in saying I have something of a hard time figuring out who is a PC, what type of PC they are, and how to get a conversational ball rolling. For reference, I'm playing in Tuluk and have a fighter character. I guess what I'm asking for is a little help with Tuluki small talk? Or... really any way to get involved in RP while I'm waiting.
Talk about how you love the Sun King, how you want to serve the Sun King, and how much the Sun King is sunny today.

Basically, all you've really got to do is say hello and start up smalltalk with people in the taverns. When one finds they like your company, they'll tend to take you in for some interesting Sun King tregil tree hugging goodness.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Could try looking at the rumor board too. If you see something relatively recent that would interest your character, try asking others at the bar if they know anything about it. Getting to talking about current events can let you know who's involved in those events (And who therefore might be hiring).

November 03, 2014, 04:16:23 PM #97 Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:39:12 PM by bcw81
I'll give it a shot, thanks! On the Sun King issue, is there a file with jargon referencing him? Basic stuff that would be inserted in regular speech. Like. 'Blessings of the Sun King' or something along those lines?

There's a few examples in here:

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,45627.0.html

General rule of thumb is that Tuluk plays up the solar tropes of Muk Utep (i.e. The Sun King) while Allanak associates Tektolnes with shadows and shade.

Is it possible for a character to put on weight and move up a weight class?