Newb Questions

Started by roobee, July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

Is it correct to, even if my PC is not very bright, when using the way, speak in perfect english (sirihish) assuming that you can get your thoughts across more perfectly. Or is that me misunderstanding how the way works.

He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on December 31, 2014, 07:48:16 PM
Is it correct to, even if my PC is not very bright, when using the way, speak in perfect english (sirihish) assuming that you can get your thoughts across more perfectly. Or is that me misunderstanding how the way works.

I personally tend to do this more often than not - especially with character's who's first language isn't Sirihish.

There is no real documentation on how this works, but from what we do have:
Quote from: HELP PSIONICSOnce psionic contact has been established, it is possible to send
thoughts directly to the person with whom your character's mind is linked.
It is convention to send emotions or images enclosed in sentinal
characters like *.  It is alright to do this so long as you are not
imposing any emotions on the contacted character.
I would imagine that you aren't really 'talking' with the person over a cell-phone, but relaying thoughts across the psionosphere.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

What Bcw81 said, also, if some kind of speech problem carries over the way, there may be something more to it.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Okay, I wanted to clear something up here. When Waying (ie mind chatting, etc) You are not speaking a language at all.. You're mind is directly connected to the other person's. Thus, you're thoughts flow through. If you have an orderly brain that has clear thoughts you can have it come through as that. If your brain is a jumble of thoughts and feelings you can include those (usually feelings or emotions are expressed in between astericks, example: *a mingling of confusion enters with the thoughts*. So basically you should be thinking of how your character thinks when waying.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Speech and thoughts are very closely linked to one another. For the most part you think in the same words you use in speech. I'm not sure it would really make sense for your character to think their communication any clearer than they can say it.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 31, 2014, 11:02:50 PM
Speech and thoughts are very closely linked to one another. For the most part you think in the same words you use in speech. I'm not sure it would really make sense for your character to think their communication any clearer than they can say it.
My only thought on this is when Sirishish, the main language of civilized cultures, is not your normal language. You're not a nincompoop when speaking Bendune, but you just can't grasp Sirihish. So your Ways are fine, but when you try to speak the common it's something akin to:

"I am not being the knowing of how you are today, is well?"

But you actually mean:

"How are you today?"

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Completely agree with bcw81 on this one. Thoughts would be much clearer than speaking a second language. Of course this also depends on how long you've been speaking that second language. With time you get better at understanding how to correctly speak it. Even if you have a master in sirihish you could speak it awkwardly. But say you were a tribal who learned bendune then sirihish, but stayed in the tribe despite having a master in sirihish you would probably still be speaking bendune most of the time. But then say you went to Luir's where everyone is speaking sirihish all the time. Eventually you would pick up the correct way of speaking it including slang.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen a character with a stutter who also stuttered over the Way--I think it would have been niftier and more fitting if they didn't, but that's just me.

I totally agree.  But I recognize that sometimes it's hard to break your established speech patterns.  I had a dwarf who was awkward at sirihish and spoke really slangy mirrukim and sometimes her Way speech would be in her sirihish voice just because I was tired or whatever.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

January 19, 2015, 02:24:56 PM #134 Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:28:51 PM by dhorw
Hey. I just create ranger. And i Can't find useful bow, most of them are too strong. I saw one shortbow in starting location but it was too weak for me. Can I wish for reroll again? (strength after reroll was just slightly better)

And for future, how karma request works? Should I keep logs?

Edit: Is bolt crafting possible?

Quote from: dhorw on January 19, 2015, 02:24:56 PM
Hey. I just create ranger. And i Can't find useful bow, most of them are too strong. I saw one shortbow in starting location but it was too weak for me. Can I wish for reroll again? (strength after reroll was just slightly better)

And for future, how karma request works? Should I keep logs?

Edit: Is bolt crafting possible?

logs are not needed for getting karma. There isn't really a "karma request," but there is an "account notes request" which you should ask for in about six months since starting playing at the soonest, so that the staff have enough on your playing to know how you are doing. Logs are not needed for that request either, but keep logs if you want! :)

Bolt crafting is possible.

As for bows: Finding a good bow is a challenge because they are rare items in the game world. They are often expensive. If a bow is "too weak for you" you can still use it! You only "miss out" on the potential to be using an even stronger bow that would do more damage, have a longer range, etc. But there aren't any actual "drawbacks" to using a bow that is "too weak" except that you're capable of using harder-to-use bows.

You can only reroll once, which it sounds like you did; then you can choose to undo that reroll and go back to what you started with, and that's it.

Welcome to the game!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Which skill is required for bolt making?

You can also (apparently) use a bow that is slightly too strong for you, but it penalizes stamina.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if a bow is only slightly too strong for you.  In general, however, shortbows are typically weaker pull than longbows, so if you're feeling like gambling you could try buying a shortbow that's too strong for you and see how it goes.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: dhorw on January 19, 2015, 02:39:50 PM
Which skill is required for bolt making?

Yes, fletchery:

Skill Fletchery
(Skill)

Fletchery encompasses several different skills: the art of making arrowshafts from appropriate wood; the art of chipping arrowheads from shards of stone; and the art of combining these with feathers to create an arrow. Merchants are usually trained in this trade, and may combine it with skills such as dyeing to produce a wide variety of arrows. Other classes sufficiently skilled with archery may learn to produce their own arrows as well.
Syntax:
craft (item) (item2) into (desired result)
Example(s):
> craft branch into long arrowshaft

> craft branch feather into black-fletched crossbow bolt

> craft twig into small thornwood dart

> craft slender into bone arrowshaft

> craft shaft shard feather into black-fletched, obsidian-head arrow
See Also:
crafting, skill archery, skill feather working
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

There's also the HELPER CHAT which, again, I just want to give a big Thank You to everyone on it: it's amazing.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Also crossbows aren't strength relian, aand are easier to use.

Quote from: MeTekillot on January 19, 2015, 04:58:30 PM
Also crossbows aren't strength relian, aand are easier to use.

This is not necessarily true. Crossbows require strength to draw back and load.

Helper chat? How can i connect to that?

www.armageddon.org has a link on the right just above the news section. It's labeled "GET LIVE HELP!".
Alea iacta est

January 20, 2015, 05:04:31 AM #144 Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:33:31 AM by dhorw
Thank you! Well, my character died. I hunted goudra and... Kryl appear, when i just run to village I met fucking yompart. Short life. And i cant do new character now because account bug... Forced to break :(

Commiserations on your loss. Hope you find your way back soon.  :)

Welcome to Armageddon dude. There will be tears, sweet, sweet tears. Ginka thanks you.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

I hope that this is not a stupid question! I am new to Armageddon, love the game, love the story and want to jump in. But, I noticed something. My character doesn't seem to have tattoos. I thought that I picked tattoo locations in the setup. Did I make a mistake?

Quote from: megp on February 12, 2015, 02:27:10 PM
I hope that this is not a stupid question! I am new to Armageddon, love the game, love the story and want to jump in. But, I noticed something. My character doesn't seem to have tattoos. I thought that I picked tattoo locations in the setup. Did I make a mistake?

You might have, but it will be difficult for players to advise you on whether you did or not. However, if you put in a request to staff, then staff can look at your PC in game and see if there is a problem, what might have caused it, and can fix it for you.

And it's not a stupid question, our chargen system is pretty complex and even veteran players frequently make mistakes.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on February 12, 2015, 02:35:56 PM

You might have, but it will be difficult for players to advise you on whether you did or not. However, if you put in a request to staff, then staff can look at your PC in game and see if there is a problem, what might have caused it, and can fix it for you.

And it's not a stupid question, our chargen system is pretty complex and even veteran players frequently make mistakes.
[/quote]

Actually, I was just coming back here to edit this question! I looked at myself in a different way and have the tattoos - I am very sorry for that!!

Thank you so much for helping me! :)