Newb Questions

Started by roobee, July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

Quote from: icewindsong on August 27, 2014, 08:53:56 PM
I know I can't plan everything out.  And at a certain point you need to lock your inner-strategist in a closet and get moving.  :)    I  sent my application in shortly after my last posting. 

I think its mostly reaction to the permadeath aspect - I want to try to avoid mistakes.  Because I'm excited :) and usually I'm on the other end of the spectrum with a game, don't read stuff like instructions and jump in and poke thigs with sticks til I figure them out.  And get eaten a lot by poking things with big teeeth.  But here that means starting over, so I was over-planning.

Yes, poking most things with sticks on this game will... end very badly. On the plus side, good luck!

Quote from: Saellyn on November 18, 2014, 11:14:38 PM
Quote from: icewindsong on August 27, 2014, 08:53:56 PM
I know I can't plan everything out.  And at a certain point you need to lock your inner-strategist in a closet and get moving.  :)    I  sent my application in shortly after my last posting. 

I think its mostly reaction to the permadeath aspect - I want to try to avoid mistakes.  Because I'm excited :) and usually I'm on the other end of the spectrum with a game, don't read stuff like instructions and jump in and poke thigs with sticks til I figure them out.  And get eaten a lot by poking things with big teeeth.  But here that means starting over, so I was over-planning.

Yes, poking most things with sticks on this game will... end very badly. On the plus side, good luck!

Depends on what kind of stick you're poking them with, and your skill level. I've had PCs get paid coin and/or water or food for it.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Can you get multiple tattoos in one tattoo location?

Quote from: aeglaeca on November 25, 2014, 06:14:56 PM

No because you already have a tattoo there.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

November 25, 2014, 06:19:37 PM #106 Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:21:18 PM by bcw81
Quote from: aeglaeca on November 25, 2014, 06:14:56 PM
You can, however, send in a request to get those tattoos already there moved to your mdesc if you're out of room and want more room to codedly buy more tattoos.

Forget where it says that, I think it's somewhere under the Tulukie helpfiles.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Oh, okay, cool! Thanks.

In the requests area, there's a slot for 'skill change'. Can this be used to request skills your character normally wouldn't be able to learn, or, well, what's the appropriate usage for it?

Typically, 'skill change' requests don't just happen in a vacuum. Usually you are already working with Staff in some direction, or say your character has been secretly learning literacy or they've really been practicing hard at rescuing people but it's not on their skill list.

You always have to provide logs of your RP'd effort to gain skills, and usually when you gain a skill, you lose one or two others.

It's not something I recommend you do often -- I think it's probably best to submit a question about it first and start a discussion with Staff, before going through the effort of gathering logs and just lumping it all into a skill change request, if that makes sense.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Okay, good to know!

Also, is there a way to change how much effort you're fighting with? Or pull punches, so to speak, other than having mercy on?

Afraid not.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: aeglaeca on December 11, 2014, 05:55:48 PM
Okay, good to know!

Also, is there a way to change how much effort you're fighting with? Or pull punches, so to speak, other than having mercy on?

'nosave combat' will stop your character from hitting back.  Remember to turn it off when you're done using it though. :)
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Is there a quick reference somewhere with what house/org has what heraldry?

Quote from: aeglaeca on December 16, 2014, 09:23:30 PM
Is there a quick reference somewhere with what house/org has what heraldry?
Closest thing you'll find to a cheatsheet is on this page: http://armageddon.org/original/type/Documentation

Under "Commonly Known Clan Equipment". There isn't one for heraldry as far as I know, you just have to look through the house docs.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Sometimes when I attempt to send a say or a psi, the command seems to not go through. I'm kind of wary about spamming my commands since I don't want to repeat says or especially psi commands so it ends up throwing my pacing off a little bit in some scenes. Is this normal or do I have some sort of client side error?

Possibly client-side.  This seems to happen with Mudlet, for example.
Murder your darlings.

Check that you're not holding shift or something like that when you press enter to send these commands.  If you're holding shift, your client might do something other than what you're expecting.

If that's not the problem, let us know what client you're using (or if you're using the connector that comes with the web page) and we can sort you out.  That sounds gamebreaking to me.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Mudlet 2.1 on OSX 10.10.1. I do sometimes play from a phone/tablet, but it's rare. I do not hold shift when I input commands. In Mudlet, this simply adds a new line to whatever is in the command line, which is noticeable to me. As well, it is usually 2-3 repeated commands that get eaten before one goes through.

Right, but if you do something like look or move or something it will start working. This so sounds like that old problem when they were making changes to the Armageddon code to make it compatible with some sort of new technology with MUDs... But they reverted the code and the problems stopped happening. Try the suggestions I made in the Mudlet topic and let me know what happens.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I swapped away from Mudlet to Mushclient because of that issue. It seems that it was only happening on Mudlet for me.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

For some reason, it was happening on me but it seem to stopped for me.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

It happens to me on Savitar, as well.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf