Skill Training Suggestions

Started by Zoltan, June 20, 2014, 09:28:30 PM

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 23, 2014, 04:54:35 PM
Teach has an echo?

Only to the person using it and the recipient.

June 24, 2014, 11:49:22 AM #28 Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:59:10 AM by Reiloth
meh.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

June 24, 2014, 03:58:33 PM #30 Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:00:26 PM by Twilight
There are two issues:

• I am so good, I will always fail to learn, because I am too good to fail.  This really only impacts certain combat skills.
  • I rarely get a chance to use this skill, so when I do and it succeeds, I die a little inside.

First, let me say that I am against having any skill go up without someone having used the skill.  So I am against automatic skill bumps after a certain amount of time (skilled nobles anyone?).  Any change should be additive, and thus small, and target folks with the above problems.  My suggestion would be:

Add a timer on to characters.  This timer would reset to zero whenever they had a learnable fail (i.e. excludes things like fails from skills already at max) from any skill.  The timer would go up 1 every RL minute in game, saving over quits but not going up when someone is offline.  After the timer reaches a number, lets say 600, there is a chance the character will learn (lets say timer/10,000).  This could be implemented as a chance to learn on success, or simply a critical fail that forces a fail that can be learned from.  It would not apply to skills already maxed, learn chance would be 100%, any multiple skill fails would have an even chance to raise any of the skills going into the calculation, and the timer would reset to zero once you learned.

If people are busy having fails and learning skills, the above would never kick in.  It would only kick in if they reached a level they were not gaining any more skill, at all, in any skill.  This could be from being a badass, or to a lesser degree from not using skills much (could potentially shift chance to learn on a fail to 100% chance to learn on a fail, I guess?).  At above suggestion, it would be 2.4 skillups per RL day of play, at a maximum.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."