Confusion between slings and slingshots

Started by Eyeball, June 14, 2014, 11:49:32 AM

An item described as a "slingshot" in its sdesc can be found available for purchase fairly easily in the game.

However, its desc describes it as what would properly be called a "sling". Namely, it implies that the entire item consists of cloth and a pocket to nestle the shot in.

A major component of a slingshot is a piece of wood (or possibly bone), with a handle and two branches between which is an elastic strand of some sort.

A slingshot:

A sling:

Thanks for pointing this out, it's always been a peeve of mine too. Furthermore that item has the keyword sling already, so why not change the sdesc?

Brings up an interesting question as to whether there are any materials elastic enough in Zalanthas to make a slingshot as you've defined it possible.

Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Pretty sure both types of those items in the OP exist in-game. One needs to looks at the item's mdesc and not just the sdesc or embarrassing mistakes may occur.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 14, 2014, 12:43:26 PM
Pretty sure both types of those items in the OP exist in-game. One needs to looks at the item's mdesc and not just the sdesc or embarrassing mistakes may occur.

Slingshots shouldn't exist though. Without rubber how could they? A rubberless slingshot is a sling.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2014, 12:56:08 PM

Slingshots shouldn't exist though. Without rubber how could they? A rubberless slingshot is a sling.

The video in Barzalene's link indicates that slings could have existed before rubber was invented (which was only fairly recently in world history - back in the mid 1800's)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 14, 2014, 01:06:22 PM

The video in Barzalene's link indicates that slings could have existed before rubber was invented (which was only fairly recently in world history - back in the mid 1800's)

Yes. Slings. Not slingshots. The defining factor of a slingshot is rubber.

Then idea it in-game, typo/idea/bug the items in-game, or send a request.

The thread was about saying that slingshots are misnamed due to the false assumption that only one slingshot item is in-game, when in fact there's more than one and they're all readily purchased in many common places. (Or were the last time I bothered to look for them.)

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2014, 01:09:08 PM

Nah.  You can make a rubberless slingshot by using a material with some spring (like sinew) and twisting the ropes.  It ends up looking kind of like a bow rather than like a Y-shaped "slingshot" and you probably couldn't kill anything larger than a squirrel, but it does work.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

June 14, 2014, 02:48:19 PM #9 Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 03:05:57 PM by Eyeball
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 14, 2014, 01:11:21 PM
The thread was about saying that slingshots are misnamed due to the false assumption that only one slingshot item is in-game, when in fact there's more than one and they're all readily purchased in many common places. (Or were the last time I bothered to look for them.)

My current character is in possession of a "slingshot". Its desc describes it as a sling. A slingshot is not a sling, and vice versa. This post is to help people understand there is a difference. No "false assumption" about what is in the object database and what isn't is being made.

EDIT: Why don't I just typo it, is the inevitable reply? Because sometimes the problem isn't a typing error, it's a misconception fixed in someone's mind.

A good example of this would be on Whira's Way. At the entrance to the plaza, the plaza is described as "rubble-filled". I didn't notice any sign of any rubble in any of the four rooms of the plaza.

rub·ble noun \ˈrə-bəl\ (Merriam-Webster)

: broken pieces of stone, brick, etc., from walls or buildings that have fallen

I suspect the person who wrote it meant "rabble":

rab·ble noun \ˈra-bəl\ (Merriam-Webster)
: a disorganized or disorderly crowd of people

I've typoed this at least five times to no avail. In fact, I even think it changed to rabble once, then back to rubble again (not sure though).

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2014, 01:09:08 PM

Sorry, I meant slingshots, I mistyped. Again, that video demonstrated a sling-shot device that didn't use rubber. It worked as a sort of ballista with twisted hemp, and hand-held similarly to a crossbow. You hold the stem, pull the ball/rock back, and when you let go the hemp untwists and the device hurls the projectile forward.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I suppose it's semantics, but I would never call that thing a slingshot.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2014, 03:14:46 PM
I suppose it's semantics, but I would never call that thing a slingshot.

Don't be a shrewd.  ;D :-*

Eyeball is right though...

Quote from: musashi on May 27, 2011, 06:24:12 AM
No no you see, by date Ghost means "chased his wife around the house with his penis till she cried".

Eyeball there's a reason that room you're describing has rubble in it.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: path on June 14, 2014, 03:23:06 PM
Eyeball there's a reason that room you're describing has rubble in it.

It's not a room, it's a four room plaza, and none of their descriptions make any mention of stone or fragments of building lying around!

Quote from: Eyeball on June 14, 2014, 02:48:19 PM
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 14, 2014, 01:11:21 PM

My current character is in possession of a "slingshot". Its desc describes it as a sling. A slingshot is not a sling, and vice versa. This post is to help people understand there is a difference. No "false assumption" about what is in the object database and what isn't is being made.

EDIT: Why don't I just typo it, is the inevitable reply? Because sometimes the problem isn't a typing error, it's a misconception fixed in someone's mind.

A good example of this would be on Whira's Way. At the entrance to the plaza, the plaza is described as "rubble-filled". I didn't notice any sign of any rubble in any of the four rooms of the plaza.

rub·ble noun \ˈrə-bəl\ (Merriam-Webster)

: broken pieces of stone, brick, etc., from walls or buildings that have fallen

I suspect the person who wrote it meant "rabble":

rab·ble noun \ˈra-bəl\ (Merriam-Webster)
: a disorganized or disorderly crowd of people

I've typoed this at least five times to no avail. In fact, I even think it changed to rabble once, then back to rubble again (not sure though).

As path says, there is rubble in those rooms for a reason, and there doesn't need to be coded rubble items for it to be present.
Also, it seems you're using a very narrow dictionary.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slingshot?s=t&path=/
Try to remember that not all staff (and players) is/was(/are) from the USA and may not necessarily be using US English all the time. Likely, whoever built that particular "slingshot" wasn't.

June 14, 2014, 03:34:04 PM #16 Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 03:39:54 PM by Eyeball
There doesn't need to be coded rubble but there should at least be mention of some rubble. Far from being "rubble filled", there is none! Why mention invisible rubble at the entrance to the square? Good grief, I can't believe I even have to say this.

EDIT: Blah, you all go think what you like. I should know better by now. I could post 1+1=2 and get grief for it on this board.  :D

Yeah, if the entrance to a place say it's filled with rubble, then when you go into that place none of the description describe rubble, that's pretty weird.

Quote from: Eyeball on June 14, 2014, 03:34:04 PM
I could post 1+1=2 and get grief for it on this board.  :D

Now you're just being pedantic and whiny.

1+1 = 10 and every programmer knows it.

;)
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.