An idea to help criminals and shadow artists in Tuluk...

Started by Malken, May 20, 2014, 05:45:43 PM

Quote from: long live miley cyrus on June 02, 2014, 01:11:52 PM
They will watch you a good bit though once those thinks get through.

Questionable.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I have to explain this?

Let's say in your initial background that you hate tribals and killed a whole tribe of twenty filthy humans with the help of a rogue magicker, who had their own personal vendetta against them. It was just on the border of allanaki lands, and both of you totally got away with it, then you and the gicker split ways never to see each other again. It is easily your fondest non-loved-one memory and you'd totally kill tribals again if given the opportunity. End initial background.

Enter game. You end up beginning to think about that particular event occasionally after about three or four RL days of play, thinking about random details occasionally. Maybe you make a friend and way them about it. People have started watching me for things like this. Not seriously, but they may keep tabs on you, making it more difficult to actually pull anything off later within the realm of the actual code Also its a little hard to ignore when you hardly know anyone, you codedly spill it somehow, and three people way you when the only two people who can remember your name are standing in the room.

If this isn't typical, then my bad. I tend to do something apart from "mundane currently upstanding human citizen" when I make these, which may have something to do with it.

Backgrounds do not transfer to what happens in-game, unless like, you do a special app. Totally irrelevant.

(I'm going "damn!" in the background, here.)

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 03, 2014, 02:27:14 PM
unless like, you do a special app.

Things make a little more sense now.

If we could change the way, well I don't know about the Legion but I know the Arm of the Dragon, the unit which pcs are entered into, is touted as the finest or one of the finest in the militia. If we could change that--- give the pc soldiers some room to be inattentive, lazy, a blabbermouth, a smuggler, an assistant to crime, and as long as they're not outright trading spice in the Gaj and talking about it openly, depending on how bad it is, they should be able to keep their jobs. I would think the soldiers of the city would have the freedom to be almost as corrupt as the criminals, if not potentially more so. Because--- I'm a three-year private in the Arm, citizen, and speaking of what you saw tonight constitutes a fee, for the city's expenses.

As of right now, can non-legal criminals and soldiers work together without being rooted out almost immediately and strung up? I'm not talking about diplomatic pacts with the Guild, I mean small-timers without protection who get lucky and find the right soldier to work with.

Quote from: long live miley cyrus on June 03, 2014, 02:40:43 PM

If we could change the way, well I don't know about the Legion but I know the Arm of the Dragon, the unit which pcs are entered into, is touted as the finest or one of the finest in the militia. If we could change that--- give the pc soldiers some room to be inattentive, lazy, a blabbermouth, a smuggler, an assistant to crime, and as long as they're not outright trading spice in the Gaj and talking about it openly, depending on how bad it is, they should be able to keep their jobs. I would think the soldiers of the city would have the freedom to be almost as corrupt as the criminals, if not potentially more so. Because--- I'm a three-year private in the Arm, citizen, and speaking of what you saw tonight constitutes a fee, for the city's expenses.

As of right now, can non-legal criminals and soldiers work together without being rooted out almost immediately and strung up? I'm not talking about diplomatic pacts with the Guild, I mean small-timers without protection who get lucky and find the right soldier to work with.

I'm pretty sure it can be like this now. You'd just need some PCs with an interest to play this way. I've certainly seen it in the past. There's no structural impediments to it in Allanak.

As an important point of notice though; Recruits in any organization can't get away with playing this way very easily. You have to wait until you're trusted before you start abusing that trust.

Backgrounds do not transfer to what happens in-game, unless like, you do a special app. Totally irrelevant.
Utter bullshit. What the hell are you talking about? I certainly hope you don't treat your background as totally irrelevant.

Quote from: long live miley cyrus on June 03, 2014, 02:40:43 PM

There plenty of room for lazy and uninitiated soldiers, I've seen them played, I've had my leaders have to deal with their shit. Yes, non-legal criminals and soldiers can and often in fact DO work together, if there's a benefit for that soldier in doing so. Problem is there usually isn't that benifit. There's usually much more benefit in being known as the guy who has catches criminals. After all that is your job description.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 03, 2014, 03:24:14 PM
Utter bullshit. What the hell are you talking about? I certainly hope you don't treat your background as totally irrelevant.

The issue at hand is, presumably, that the background is quite irrelevant except when it comes to defining personality and motives and such. It has no impact on such things as wealth, belongings, social status or skills - everybody starts out as a pauper with almost nothing to their name, unless they are playing a sponsored role (in which case they play an unskilled pauper with social status) or special app it (in which case they can get a mostly unskilled pauper). My first few days of playing any character are generally spent avoiding other PCs and getting them to a point where I want them to be where money and basic skills are concerned. If I don't, then there can be a strong dissonance between my character's background and actual status in-game.

I'm not understanding any distinction made here. How is a background that's backed up by staff through a special app any less valid than a background backed up by staff through a normal application?

IF your background deals with you slaughtering virtual tribes then yeah, expect anything related to that background to be virtual. IF, however, you have it in your background that the militia is chasing you down for those murders, then you can simply send an e-mail to the militia-staff and they'll make it a reality in game.

I think the point Delusion is making that is that whether your background is that of a seasoned merc or a kid who just bought a sword, you're going to have the same skills and funds starting out (i.e. none). Background as no effect on code. It can have an effect on personality, disposition, reputation etc.

I don't understand my own thread anymore.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Move the jail closer to the criminals. This will help!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: long live miley cyrus on June 04, 2014, 11:46:43 AM
Give soldiers moar money.

Then they won't have as many reasons to play corrupt lawmen. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.