Author Topic: How to RP a sneak  (Read 2046 times)

nauta

How to RP a sneak
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
Hi,

I'd like to see more instructions on how to RP a sneaky character, and in particular, what sorts of things people SEMOTE/HEMOTE/EMOTE when they are sneaking, hiding, shadowing, about to club someone over the head, failing to steal, stealing, etc.  I know there is the documentation on the main armageddon website (Thief's Bible), but that doesn't really cover RP but more NPC interaction and how not to be a douche.  For a lot of other things (like RPing spar damage, RPing virtual babies, RPing interaction with NPC shopkeepers, etc.) you can find out IG based on how others do it.  But this is just something you can't quite do that with.

In particular, I find HIDE hard to figure out how to RP.  I think I finally figured out how STEAL works, but I'd like to see how folks RP failed steal attempts.  The problem is that when people are hiding, I can't just "see" what they are emoting or how they are RPing IG, so it is something I haven't been able to figure out IG.   (I've always thought there should be a special room with a mirror [like locdesc] where you can practice out emotes on yourself just to see what the other person would have echo'd to them, so you can flesh out the RP accordingly, esp. when I was, and still am, trying to remember the difference between # and @ and all that jazz.)

* If someone notices you hiding, does that mean EVERYONE then will have noticed you?  Or do you just SEMOTE winks at ~tall.muscular, raises a finger to ^me lips, and remains trapped in the closet.

* I assume you can either be hiding in a closet or just "blending into the crowds" and so you should SEMOTE which of those you are you doing, e.g., SEMOTE slips through the crowds like a slippery slip or SEMOTE ducks into the closet and stands there like a dress.  But if I'm moving from room to room, should I continuously do an: SEMOTE walks west.  SEMOTE walks east.

* Should you SEMOTE every few hours, e.g., shifts from one foot to the other?

* And there's just a WHOLE bunch of questions about what breaks HIDE that I don't even want to go into, but I just wanted to say that "find out IG" is often a frustrating answer to these, since a lot are arbitrary, granted that hiding includes the concept of "blending into the crowds", and there is no good way to figure it out IG other than: Hey, Bub.  I'm gonna hide then SNEEZE.  Did you see me? In particular, there are things like: EMOTE, HEMOTE, WHISPER, RAISE HOOD, DRAW, SHEATH, SNEEZE, YAWN, SIT, STAND, ok ok you get the idea.  When one SHADOWs one is set to WALK... does that break HIDE?  Anyway, I figured out a lot of them IG after a long while, but I just thought I'd toss that out while I'm at it, that is, that it might be nice to document that aspect a little better somewhere.

Thanks for listening.   

tl;dr: It might be good to have more information on how to RP a sneak, and it is hard to find this out IG.  Obviously we'll have different opinions, but examples of SEMOTE would be really nice.

(Originally placed in the original logs forum, but now put here.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Clavis

Re: How to RP a sneak
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
There are a lot of differences in sneaking and hiding, wether it's daytime, night time, dawn, dusk, inside the walls, or outside the walls. All should be taken into consideration, before emoting/hemoting/semoting.

I tend to look out a window and try to figure out how I'd want to move if I don't wanna be seen at various times of day. These would fall into the hemotes that I would use while sneaking/actively moving even if it's in the same room as the one I'm currently in. If I want to interact with someone then I usually use an emote, but put in why the can't see me. ie using someone else to block line of sight, I'm behind them what have you. If it makes sense to do it.

hide is a little bit different I feel that I'm not moving so I try to think of things to hide/blend in with, shadows, groups, things like that.

Also take into consideration the room description, and things that are in it. Crowds, tables, trees, tall grass use them to crouch behind, and hemote it. Also you can hemote the way your walking, or how close your following behind that lumbering wall of a half-gaint your using to keep out of other peoples sight.

Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

The Lonely Hunter

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
This may not be exactly what you are looking for but I hope that it helps.

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Thief's%20Bible
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »
Check out these logs, they made me want to play my first sneaky:

Scroll down and expand Best Laid Plans (Parts 1 and 2).
Templars are basically if judge Dredd was a Cardassian

nauta

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »
Hey, those logs are great!  So some more narrow questions:

1. Are all those emotes performed while that character is hidden from the logs SEMOTES or HEMOTES?

2. Since you as a player can't tell if you are hidden or not (you just know you tried), should you use SEMOTE for all of your emotes while hidden?  If I read the help files correctly, this means that if I'm not in fact hiding, it will get translated as an emote, otherwise it just won't show up...  Hence, is this correct:

(a) SEMOTE winks.

If successfully hidden: Nobody will see this.  If you merely think you are hidden (i.e. you failed your hide), it will echo: The hairy gith winks.

(b) HEMOTE winks.

Attentive people will see (if you are successfully hidden): You notice: Somebody winks.  If unsuccessful: You notice: The hairy gith winks.

(c) EMOTE winks.

If successfully hidden: Somebody winks.  If not: The hiary gith winks.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
It looks like you have it right to me.  I think the that log was made and submitted before you could have hemote/semote show to yourself in echos, so they were almost certainly all semotes.

If I was a sneaky, this is how I would do it: semote if my emote is silent; hemote if it would involve quiet but possibly noticeable noise; emote if it would involve a lot of noise, and probably vis or get out of the room immediately.  I have never much fancied just straight emoting while hidden, but other people have different opinions on that.
Templars are basically if judge Dredd was a Cardassian

Bogre

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 11:59:50 AM »
I'm always a fan of Hemote and Emote to give other players some spooky environmental surround sound.

Regarding using sap/backstab/etc. You can prewrite an emote, trigger the sap/backstab, and then trigger the emote in the short delay time so it comes out soon or right after.

I use change ldesc a -lot- when hiding.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.