in-clan subdue attempts and crimcode

Started by Harmless, May 05, 2014, 10:16:24 PM

I think if you're in a clan with someone and they codedly outrank you, then they should be able to subdue you in any location without triggering crimcode.

nosave subdue clan   |  off

You will no longer resist attempts at being subdued from a superior in your clan.

nosave subdue clan    |  on

You will now resist attempts at being subdued from a superior in your clan. (But this still won't trigger crimcode. To trigger crimcode, type 'rebel' to leave the clan.)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I guess you guys aren't into this one. Well, there is the ability to just type "nosave subdue" before someone tries to subdue you. For events in public areas, I have been told by superiors in ooc to "nosave subdue please." With this idea then I could just toggle it so they can subdue my PCs without worrying about crimcode by default. Thought it'd save some trouble.

I'm with you. No labor laws If you're my subordinate I'll drag you around by the nose if I want to and its no one's business. The code should understand.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Ehh, I'm not feeling this one.

While I'm all for subduing subordinates, I don't think you should be automatically able to grab someone just because you're a higher rank than them. Having to deal with subordinates who can probably kick your ass is part of the game. I prefer to emote the attempted grab, followed by a >subdue. Giving the minion time to respond and possibly turn off nosave subdue on their own. But If they're going to get all up in your business, well, your chewing-out session is about to get a lot more interesting.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 06, 2014, 12:42:29 PM

While I'm all for subduing subordinates, I don't think you should be automatically able to grab someone just because you're a higher rank than them. Having to deal with subordinates who can probably kick your ass is part of the game. I prefer to emote the attempted grab, followed by a >subdue. Giving the minion time to respond and possibly turn off nosave subdue on their own. But If they're going to get all up in your business, well, your chewing-out session is about to get a lot more interesting.

Harmless isn't suggesting auto-success for subdue attempts by superiors. Harmless is suggesting that superiors should be able to attempt subduing their inferiors without triggering crimcode.

I think this makes sense. Is the Arm of the Dragon really going to leap forward and hack down Agent Kadius when he's leading a recruit crafter down the street by the nose? I think not.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Turn crim-code off of subdue all together. Add it to people who subdue someone who is actively trying to flee away.

Quote from: Thunkkin on May 06, 2014, 12:46:16 PM

Harmless isn't suggesting auto-success for subdue attempts by superiors. Harmless is suggesting that superiors should be able to attempt subduing their inferiors without triggering crimcode.

I think this makes sense. Is the Arm of the Dragon really going to leap forward and hack down Agent Kadius when he's leading a recruit crafter down the street by the nose? I think not.

No one is suggesting auto success
Everyone is suggesting crimcode is not triggered.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on May 06, 2014, 01:14:12 PM
Quote from: Thunkkin on May 06, 2014, 12:46:16 PM

No one is suggesting auto success
Everyone is suggesting crimcode is not triggered.

Guess I misread this, then: " I don't think you should be automatically able to grab someone just because you're a higher rank than them."
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Feel free to ignore.  I don't have a lot of experience with the clan code.  But I argue that the relative clan rankings of two PCs is too small a piece of the big picture for it to justify crim-code evasion.

Is the higher-ranking PC on a spice rampage, violently drunk, or otherwise possessed?

Is he or she a non-citizen?

Is the lower-ranking PC injured, calling for help, or better connected to the militia?

Is he or she a citizen?

I think the way it is now applies the same set of rules on all these interactions.  It's not perfect, but, in terms of playability it's fair to everyone.  Independents, clanned, etc.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

May 06, 2014, 02:21:17 PM #9 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:29:47 PM by Harmless
edited.. I made my points already. I agree with RGS too, that maybe subdue just shouldn't trigger crimcode, at least not after just one attempt. The idea of crimcoding the resistance and fleeing and so on is good, if that is possible.

Quote from: Harmless on May 06, 2014, 02:21:17 PM
edited.. I made my points already. I agree with RGS too, that maybe subdue just shouldn't trigger crimcode, at least not after just one attempt. The idea of crimcoding the resistance and fleeing and so on is good, if that is possible.

Certainly would give folks an out when they catch all the new pickpockets.  Did you just stick you hand in my pocket?  Let me hold you here until a guard comes...
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

With the way hide works while stealing, you'd just get "You feel someone's hand in your belongings, but are unable to identify the culprit." about five times.

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 06, 2014, 05:57:27 PM
With the way hide works while stealing, you'd just get "You feel someone's hand in your belongings, but are unable to identify the culprit." about five times.

While standing in a completely barren 10x10 room with a door made of a leather and a lock that doesn't utilize any metal, and the guy stealing from you is wearing a hood, a mask, and a cloak, all despite the fact that you can contact him to see what he looks like

#ZalanthasProblems
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I've never liked the idea of unarmed combat triggering the crimcode at all (at least in Allanak/Luir's).
Overt trouble makers of any kind should always be put quickly into their place in Tuluk and Redstorm, however.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.