Sleight of Hand / Stealth update

Started by Tiernan, May 04, 2014, 08:39:25 PM

I do like the ability to open doors silently. Breaks the whole 'one room apartments are safer' thing.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I assume that latch/unlatch will be appropriately difficult depending on the object and skill of the thief, like every other skill IG, so I don't think abuse is going to be an issue nor is it something to be afraid of. This change actually makes pickpocketing a viable choice of crime now, instead of relying (mostly) on the players to be "charitable" and leave valuables in open pockets and their inventory. By extension, it makes the pickpocket guild more appealing to those that haven't tried it, or tried it but were disappointed with it. It actually puts worn containers at a more appropriate level of risk and incidentally makes finding a safe storage area for your PC's stuff more important. So I think this is a nice change that will have an interesting, if maybe slight ripple effect.

Awesome additions to make those roguish types more viable. Kudos!
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Now this, this I like.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Delirium on May 05, 2014, 12:01:48 AM
I think it's fantastic that mundane skills are getting some love.

Me too!  I'm very excited for this.  Especially because I love command emotes.  Command emote all the things.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

As a frequent sneaky type player, I like this change, but holy shit no keyring will ever be safe again.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

You guys act like people get robbed all the time BEFORE they're dead!

I haven't been mugged, pickpocketed, or burgled in years.

Bring it, bitches!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

We need a like button... I like this.
Death is only the beginning...

Quote from: Reiloth on May 05, 2014, 04:40:05 AM
if you are made, you are made. It is impossible to come back from that.

Sure you can.  Store and roll up another just like it.

Should be a coded skill that allows non-stealth PCs to hack the sticky fingers off the thieves and explain to the guards they they had it coming without being crim-coded too.  ;D
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Hey now, that is a question.

How does the crime code work on sleight being used on others packs/containers?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I was wondering how exactly this might work on doors.... Normal way is that you see so and so open such and such door... If you're sitting in a room that has a door and someone opens it I don't care how quietly they do it you could be staring at the door and you would see it open even if you don't HEAR it open. How exactly does this work for people in rooms? Please don't say find out IG.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on May 05, 2014, 10:19:36 AM
I was wondering how exactly this might work on doors.... Normal way is that you see so and so open such and such door... If you're sitting in a room that has a door and someone opens it I don't care how quietly they do it you could be staring at the door and you would see it open even if you don't HEAR it open. How exactly does this work for people in rooms? Please don't say find out IG.

Be nice if this were handled by "watch north." Then there'd be an actual command that people would have to use rather than forcing people to infer that they were watching some door or other. But I've never really paid attention to what the watch skill actually shows you.

Quote from: Quell on May 05, 2014, 10:40:39 AM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on May 05, 2014, 10:19:36 AM

Be nice if this were handled by "watch north." Then there'd be an actual command that people would have to use rather than forcing people to infer that they were watching some door or other. But I've never really paid attention to what the watch skill actually shows you.

General watch skill should take care of it. I mean if your sitting in a room near a door there are many chances that your going to look over at the door at some point in time. It's inevitable... In RL if I'm in a strange place or a place I don't feel comfortable in I naturally sit facing the door. Sure call me paranoid, just what I do. I'm just asking how this will be handled... If its not handled that you see the door opening then there should be a chance when you open a door even without the skill that people in the room won't see the door being opened, much less who is opening the door. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I'm trying to be realistic here.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

May 05, 2014, 12:04:30 PM #38 Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:08:27 PM by X-D
I am hoping that doors is handled so that, successful unlatch, you still see the door open, but it does not break hide, or if not hidden you do not see who opened it.

IE

Hidden.
The door opens.

Not hidden.
Someone opens the door.

Given the room size stated in pretty much every apartment, the idea that a panel of wood/bone whatever could be swung open without notice is silly.

Will they be able to use unlatch on other peoples cloaks? If so, I see myself filing many complaints.

OH, and I like this addition, I just have concerns.
In RL if I'm in a strange place or a place I don't feel comfortable in I naturally sit facing the door.

Same here.

Also, in my house, all furniture is arranged so I can see the door at all times...most people end up doing this without thinking simply because you do not want to block a door.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I figure unlatched doors are the equivalent of cracking the door just slightly to slip inside.

May 05, 2014, 12:09:20 PM #40 Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:12:45 PM by X-D
That would be fine, but unless they changed the code, doors only have 2 states, open or closed. So, even if you take it as opened a crack, does not matter, you can still walk in. As to the "slip inside" What, are you a mouse?  Wearing normal gear and pack, you still have to open it all the way...or at least a foot or more, this is not some kind of peeking crack here.

Sitting in my normal apartment in a 8 cord by 8 cord room...call it 10X10' The door opens and a leather clad figure wearing a hooded cloak and a pack manages to open the door AND "slip" through it without notice....RIIIIGHT.
Lizzie:

Now not only will the mudsexers be doing their dirty deeds with all their armor still on BUT they'll be standing as well just so they can watch the door!

And guys, really, how is being able to open a door and sneak in quietly unseen any different than being able to hide in one room apartments (or booths) unseen while there's people in it?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

the only people allowed to twink are X-D's characters, by golly

I like that this means you could actually slip through a curtain... instead of a closed curtain suddenly being instamagic ultraforce barrier against sneakies.

Quote from: Malken on May 05, 2014, 12:12:49 PM
Now not only will the mudsexers be doing their dirty deeds with all their armor still on BUT they'll be standing as well just so they can watch the door!

Fortunately you can still watch (at a disadvantage) while sitting down, now.

I foresee a lot more scanning being done.

More scanning? Literally everyone with scan is scanning at all times, everywhere. Who are you kidding?

May 05, 2014, 12:18:46 PM #46 Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:27:21 PM by X-D
Keep in mind, to a stealthy PC, even the door being seen open 100% of the time, BUT the opening of the door not breaking hide is still JUST as useful.

So you saw a door open...Alright now you know...well, a door opened...Did the person opening it enter? Did he leave? Is he standing in the hall waiting for you to come check?
Even if you do run out or something, or call the militia whatever, what are you going to report...you don't even have the type of cloak/hood mask.

As to the twink jab, I play stealthy types with the required skills rather often...as I said, I like this addition, I have wished for such and idea'd it many times...but that does not stop me from thinking that a big ass panel covering a big ass hole in the wall in a tiny room moving in the least bit would not be noticed.

Remember, almost all rooms with doors have doors large enough for a HG to enter...so, they need be at least 8 feet tall and 4-5 feet wide. :)
Lizzie:

Man, pickpockets have suddenly became the #1 trolololol class in the game.

If we could just have a playable elf clan in the rinth now I don't think I'd play anything but elf pickpockets  ;D
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: boog on May 05, 2014, 08:25:25 AM
You guys act like people get robbed all the time BEFORE they're dead!

I haven't been mugged, pickpocketed, or burgled in years.

Bring it, bitches!

You shall be stripped naked and planted with mass amounts of spice within the week.

All this without your knowledge. :)
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

No but seriously:

Quote from: Delirium on May 05, 2014, 12:01:48 AM
I think it's fantastic that mundane skills are getting some love.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
The rest of you, if you see a blingy, buff brunette-blonde pair hanging out together pretty soon at your local bar, just...it's nothing. Move along. (Do not hit on them.)