I've noticed a trend . . .

Started by Kryos, April 19, 2014, 08:57:56 AM

Quote from: Clavis on April 21, 2014, 09:49:30 PM
People always hunting, or going out to raise skills, mudsex, and yet not seeking to get to know more about your pc, his likes, dislikes. Why he is the way he/she is, wtf  does that tattoo mean if at all anything. yadda yadda.

Not to be an asshole, but maybe it's not their fault.

Quote from: spicemustflow on April 22, 2014, 05:35:39 PM
Quote from: Clavis on April 21, 2014, 09:49:30 PM
People always hunting, or going out to raise skills, mudsex, and yet not seeking to get to know more about your pc, his likes, dislikes. Why he is the way he/she is, wtf  does that tattoo mean if at all anything. yadda yadda.

Not to be an asshole, but maybe it's not their fault.

grrr what what! How dare you say it's not their fault what do they have a frigging life or something outside of arm! *pants heavily* /k

yeah, I know I suck at rp'ing but I am trying. Still for me it's about learning about other characters, their stories, wants and likes, and also about developing my own, and sharing it. That to me is roleplaying, not just going out to smash a four hundred and ninetieth gortok, or whatever. It's about how everything effects your pc, how they grow, if they become attached to someone else, if they grow to hate another. Yet I see a lot of damn she's hooooot, kank kank kank kank, pant pant uuuuugggggg, aaaaand done. That grow into 'matings' I've always just considered that kanking. How are you to mate with someone, anyone without knowing if they are going to stab you while your sleeping one night or not. Zalanthians are about survival, that just seems odd that you claim a complete stranger as a mate? Cause in reality that's what they are a complete, utterly delectable, and ooooh so kankable stranger. imo

can I have your boots please mwister?
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

Quote from: Desertman on April 22, 2014, 11:57:33 AM
I did see one guy actually say something like this once, "You should fail a few times and then wait a few hours and try again. You will learn better.", or something so obviously geared towards twinking the coded system for skill advancement I wanted to rip my eyeballs out.

I've had to say this a few times. Generally, you will get some players who want their skill to go up so bad that they will spam the hell out of it. This is likely a bit of carry-over from games without a skill timer. Does it seem twinkish to go into a long speech about how "Mistakes are life's greatest teachers. You can only learn so much in a day, however. When you have made a few mistakes, it's time to go off and do something else, and think about what you've learned, makes sense, right?". I find it encourages this particular kind of player to flesh out their PC in other ways, rather than simply making use of the code, while teaching them an effective means of actually learning things.

It's either this or watch them skill-spam forever, in some cases. I'd rather go with the lesser of two evils.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Don't feel that you "have to" say that to anyone, ICly.  I've been on the receiving end of that - and it was very unpleasant. They assumed I was a noob because I wasn't complying with the "most efficient use of the code." The fact of the matter was, I wasn't trying to make efficient use of the code. I wasn't trying to branch, or gain skill. I was trying to make a particular thing, and I had failed a few times, and had plenty of raw material available to try again til I succeeded. I would've stopped once I a) made this thing I wanted to make, or b) attempted for long enough that it would make sense to take a break (like a game-hour).

I was interrupted by someone instructing her to only try until she failed, and then not try anymore for another day. And when I told them ICly that I was fine, I just really wanted to make this thing - they actually went OOC to explain the code to me, because clearly I didn't "get" the IC "hint."

I've also been instructed to use a tool that I avoid using, even though codedly it does what it needs to do, because it makes no IC sense to use it for certain things. For instance (hypothetically) - a hedge-clipper to cut a silk gown. Yes, it's a scissors. And yes, it can be used to cut stuff. But it makes no sense for someone who wants to learn how to sew a silk gown to use a hedge-clipper to cut the silk. So don't tell me I need a hedge-clipper, just because codedly it gives a boost to cutting stuff. The actual situation was similar to that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'd probably have sent a player complaint if -anyone- ever went OOC to start explaining "how the code works" to me like that, and just added a note that I would like staff to inform them that going OOC to explain game mechanics like that is probably detrimental to fostering a good RP environment. Or just plain bad form.

April 23, 2014, 04:15:57 AM #55 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:24:40 AM by Fujikoma
EDIT: Don't feed the trolls.

I've never been able to figure out how to tell people not to go through an entire warehouse full materials on day one. Sorry, I know that's phrased inelegantly. You all see what I mean though, right?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on April 23, 2014, 08:19:05 AM
I've never been able to figure out how to tell people not to go through an entire warehouse full materials on day one. Sorry, I know that's phrased inelegantly. You all see what I mean though, right?

If they are ic'ly wasting a ton of materials at no gain they should be ic'ly punished for it.

That seems perfectly in character with no need to figure out a way to explain to them how to most efficiently use the code.

"Why are you costing us so much sid with your stupidity? Be less stupid or get the boot."
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on April 23, 2014, 09:18:33 AM

If they are ic'ly wasting a ton of materials at no gain they should be ic'ly punished for it.

That seems perfectly in character with no need to figure out a way to explain to them how to most efficiently use the code.

"Why are you costing us so much sid with your stupidity? Be less stupid or get the boot."

True, but it's a little hard to come up with an IC way to explain that it's not okay to waste all the materials in the warehouse in a single day, but if they want to gradually waste all of the materials in the warehouse over the course of a few weeks, that'd be kosher.

I suppose you could just order them to do it and tell them not to ask questions, but your character should at least be thinking something that makes sense to your when you do it.

It's a matter of supply/demand and common sense economics. Don't use up more than we can replenish in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes, we have 100 shards of obsidian. But our employees can only bring back 50 per RL day.
So if you use 60 every RL day, we'll have none for you to work on before the RL week is over.

This isn't even something that -should- need to be explained ICly - but if you're dealing with a spam-crafter, just tell them - simply - don't use up more than we can replenish in a reasonable amount of time.

If they aren't getting it, or if they're not caring that you just instructed them this - then either toss them out of the clan for insubordination, or send a player complaint. Or both if it's combined with other twinkish behavior.

"Look buddy, those materials are for everyone to use. If you keep tearing through them at that rate, nobody else will have a chance to go at them. Pace yourself and give other crafters the opportunity to have a go at the stockpile. Don't use more than ___________ a day, alright?"
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: Quell on April 23, 2014, 10:45:43 AM
Quote from: Desertman on April 23, 2014, 09:18:33 AM

True, but it's a little hard to come up with an IC way to explain that it's not okay to waste all the materials in the warehouse in a single day, but if they want to gradually waste all of the materials in the warehouse over the course of a few weeks, that'd be kosher.

I suppose you could just order them to do it and tell them not to ask questions, but your character should at least be thinking something that makes sense to your when you do it.

"You are out pacing our hunter's ability to pull in materials, and you aren't producing anything. Slow down what you are working on. You are working too fast and not carefully enough and it is costing the House sid."

"Furthermore, laying down on a cot to do your crafting, without using any tools at all, shows me that you're not really interested in producing anything for the House. You have one day to get your ass in gear, or get your ass out."

"Henceforth, I shall call you, "Slappy McWorthlessFingers", until you do something to show me you are worthy of a less insulting moniker."

Crafting isn't the only thing this can be done with. There are other skills too, some it's not so easy to explain to people why they shouldn't simply be spamming the skill. Nudging someone and saying "You know, there's more to this game than skill gains." in some IC form or fashion seems fine to me.

Hahah. Don't use OOC for that dude.

Quote from:  OOC Documentation
Think before you use ooc. It is not intended for conveying IC information, nor for discussions of the game mechanics, nor for extended roleplaying debates, nor for getting around language barriers.

Try to use the ooc command as little as possible, preferably never. Imagine what a movie would be like if the actors and actresses kept breaking out of their roles all the time--the movie would be awful. Never ever use the ooc command to convey IC information. This is looked upon very poorly by staff members.

OOCing me to criticize my play is liable to get you told to go fuck yourself.

I hate seeing people spamming certain combat skills, eight hundred failed attempts at rescueing! wtf really! Get your ass in the fight and worry about killing this thing, person, or place, and hope he/she is smart enough to run. The same goes for kick, and the other skills.

*hangs head* I do it when I'm not thinking about it but still, it annoys me to be pressured into it by someone. Yes I know we should be practicing the techniques of saving one of our comrades, but seeing a scroooooll of failed rescues, kicks, bashes, tralalalala's, broken bones, cracked stones, etc.... just irks me to no end.

Okay so maybe sometimes I should take of my little girl dress, and put on my big boy pants, but I don't want to! I like the pink flowers, and baby blue silk of my dress!
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 19, 2014, 05:32:13 PM
Quote from: Patuk on April 19, 2014, 05:18:57 PM
Why exactly is typing his rather than ^me or whatever bad? Surely the only person to notice is the one doing the typing?

Before I played a noble I used to use her/she/blah/blah/blah for my own character, feels different now that I use the right symbols. I can't tell if someone is using his/her for their own character, it's the hers/his when it should be directed at YOU that I really dislike.

Just wanted to touch on this as it DOES make a big difference when there's more than one other person in the room.

If I type "emote takes ^bob hand and smacks !amos ass with it"

bob will see you've used his hand to smack amos' ass
and amos will be able to tell too

but if I type "emote takes your hand and smacks his ass with it"

they will both get the same message and think that you've used their hand to slap the other one... which will confuse the hell out of the situation.

Anyway just thought I'd bring that up, the glorious code is there for us to use.  USE IT
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

But how does ^me factor into that?

Quote from: perfecto on April 28, 2014, 11:43:45 PM

If I type "emote takes ^bob hand and smacks !amos ass with it"

bob will see you've used his hand to smack amos' ass
and amos will be able to tell too

Actually no, Bob will see:

The yellow man takes your hand and smacks him ass with it.

Amos will see:
The yellow man takes his hand and smacks you ass with it.

You (Malik) will see:

The tall hooded figure takes his hand and smacks him ass with it.

To make it make sense you'd do:

emote takes %bob hand and smacks %amos ass with it.

Of course it has nothing to do with the current subject, which is the use of first-person possessive - %me #me !me ^me.

There is no difference in what anyone sees, *except* for the person typing it out, between using %me and using his/her (depending on the person's gender).

And, when you use "his" or "her" instead of %me, it actually makes more sense. To wit:

emote takes his hand and smacks %amos ass with it.

Malik sees:

The yellow man takes his hand and smacks the blue-eyed man's ass with it.

if you use the ^me - emote takes ^me hand and smacks %amos ass with it.

The yellow man takes your hand and smacks the blue-eyed man's ass with it.

(after a good long chuckle)

Well I'm glad somebody cleared that up.. I was totally confusing myself

Do as I say! Not as I do!  (he screams to himself)

To get back to the OP

I really enjoy a player that starts a character with a certain theme and sticks with it their whole life through.  It can be easy to switch sides or turn tail when you realize something isn't going your way, or that the masses are against you.  Those certain PC's that have the gumption to carry out their plans regardless of the outcome are my favorites.  Regardless of play style, if you stick with what you're going for, it makes more sense to me than being a wishy-washy character.  I guess those ones are my pet peeves. That being said I know this game is all about corruption and betrayal.. and murder.. but it's not all about that.  Anyone who's played more than five RL days knows that's not the be-all, end-all of this game.  There's so much more to it, and those who keep true to their characters are my heroes.

Alright I'll shut up now, lets talk about something else.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

QuoteThis trend relates back a bit to the post I made regarding the state of Armageddon, in that, there's a diverse number of player styles out there, most of which are fairly complicated but not inherently against the concept of an RPI.

I will confess.  I did not read most of the thread, because I wanted to reply immediately when I read the above line, due to...irony?  It may be an improper use of the word.

I say this because as I recall, your thread about the different types of players was very heavily leaned -against- one type of player, even down to the name of the archtype:  The Griefer.  You essentially asserted that most of those who involved themselves in PvP aspects of the game did so out of enjoyment of removing another player's progress, like there was diabolical laughter every time a player killed another player.

While I do not think the above does -not- exist, I also think you were running along a trend all it's own, which is that calloused players do not belong in an RPI.  This trend has gone so far as to have a large portion of the playerbase assert that killing another player was wasteful and plot ending, as if each player did -not- have their own plots, and as if deaths of characters did not start other plots anew.

I, quite frankly, think that player deaths are a necessary, and even essential, part of this game.  Even if that player is a leader, or a major player in some clan plot or another, deaths are what keep the cycle turning in the game.  New plots spring out of them.  Characters that were close to the recently deceased have a sudden catalyst for change.  The plot of the one who did the killing is advanced, even if that plot seems more meaningless to you, the deceased.  So on and so forth.  The idea of appealing to a player's humanity in a game that is strongly leaned against such behavior is counterproductive to me...and I found myself somewhat recently disenchanted by the fact that I could no longer engage in such behavior without a pang of guilt due to such discussions and knowing others took such offense to the action.

That is a trend I saw, much as you saw this one.  I just thought it was...worth pointing out.  Particularly since I am now without games in my summer job and have nothing to do but crawl along the GDB in my spare time. XD
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on May 07, 2014, 02:51:04 AM
QuoteThis trend relates back a bit to the post I made regarding the state of Armageddon, in that, there's a diverse number of player styles out there, most of which are fairly complicated but not inherently against the concept of an RPI.

I will confess.  I did not read most of the thread, because I wanted to reply immediately when I read the above line, due to...irony?  It may be an improper use of the word.

I say this because as I recall, your thread about the different types of players was very heavily leaned -against- one type of player, even down to the name of the archtype:  The Griefer.  You essentially asserted that most of those who involved themselves in PvP aspects of the game did so out of enjoyment of removing another player's progress, like there was diabolical laughter every time a player killed another player.

While I do not think the above does -not- exist, I also think you were running along a trend all it's own, which is that calloused players do not belong in an RPI.  This trend has gone so far as to have a large portion of the playerbase assert that killing another player was wasteful and plot ending, as if each player did -not- have their own plots, and as if deaths of characters did not start other plots anew.

I, quite frankly, think that player deaths are a necessary, and even essential, part of this game.  Even if that player is a leader, or a major player in some clan plot or another, deaths are what keep the cycle turning in the game.  New plots spring out of them.  Characters that were close to the recently deceased have a sudden catalyst for change.  The plot of the one who did the killing is advanced, even if that plot seems more meaningless to you, the deceased.  So on and so forth.  The idea of appealing to a player's humanity in a game that is strongly leaned against such behavior is counterproductive to me...and I found myself somewhat recently disenchanted by the fact that I could no longer engage in such behavior without a pang of guilt due to such discussions and knowing others took such offense to the action.

That is a trend I saw, much as you saw this one.  I just thought it was...worth pointing out.  Particularly since I am now without games in my summer job and have nothing to do but crawl along the GDB in my spare time. XD

Like so many things in life, both things can be true at once. Sometimes someone has to die. Sometimes people die in a way devoid of rp and in a way that makes no sense.
I'm rushed and on my way and hopefully this will make sense:

My pc walks into a bar,  looks at a the people seated (lets say for the sake of argument not spam looks but regular old, looking to see who's there) and some asshole gets up from where he's been having a happy conversation pulls a knife kills my pc. Gets arrested and says Yeah, uh... she looked at me. It's just stupid.

While lets say same thing, only this time the killer guy is sitting there seething. He's been pissed on, pissed off and he's decided he's had enough. He kills my pc, he gets arrested and goes to jail and says: I'd had enough. Someone had to die.

My pc is still dead. I don't know the difference. But for the sake of the game there is a difference.

A further difference is if the player of the someone had to die guy plays that guy all the time. I don't think we should look for reasons to or not to kill. I think that there should be deaths and they should be organic to the story line.

Sorry. I hope that made sense. I'm a half hour late for work and a slow typist.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Zalanthas is a harsh place and murder is very much a (common) part of it. In some places of the world it is rather public and it isn't even the worse crime that you can commit, depending on who you kill and your social status versus theirs. An elf kills an elf? Good, one less elf...hardly worth a Templar's time. A human kills an elf? Here is a free ale for saving the militia the trouble.

This is a place where people will slit your throat for a drink of water, snap your neck for a handful of 'sid, or poison you to get ahead in their house. There is no reason too minor to kill someone for.

You should not allow OOC reasons to influence if your PC will kill someone or not. Sure, it might suck to end someone's long-lived character and you might not like the idea because you, the player, are a nice guy/gal but chances are your character won't give two turds. Your PC also shouldn't kill someone just because you, the player, wants to. It has to go both ways.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra