Know who is Waying you.

Started by slvrmoontiger, March 03, 2014, 03:13:07 PM

I asked a question to the staff a while back on if there is a IG reason why you can't figure out who Way's you or if that's just how things were coded. The answer was that's just the way it was coded.

I remember way back when a time when you didn't even get the A foreign presence reaches your mind or whatever it is. In fact one of the stories recently showed shows this. Well I'm wondering why it just can't be coded to said "The green-skinned breed reaches your mind". I'm not sure how much work this would involve codedly speaking, but I think it would be a nice thing to have.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 03, 2014, 03:13:07 PM
I asked a question to the staff a while back on if there is a IG reason why you can't figure out who Way's you or if that's just how things were coded. The answer was that's just the way it was coded.

I remember way back when a time when you didn't even get the A foreign presence reaches your mind or whatever it is. In fact one of the stories recently showed shows this. Well I'm wondering why it just can't be coded to said "The green-skinned breed reaches your mind". I'm not sure how much work this would involve codedly speaking, but I think it would be a nice thing to have.

There is already a huge thread that I don't feel like searching up where all of this is covered. You should be able to find it.

With that being said, the meat and potatoes you will want from it is this.

Staff already said they have been working on/throwing around a project that would require people to know your exact sdesc in order to find your mind. Basically, they would have had to have met you IC'ly at one point to find your mind with the Way. (If they are already in the room with you, they can "contact figure", of course.)

This will/should get rid of all of the randoms who hear your name in a bar finding your mind just to sniff your sdesc.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on March 03, 2014, 03:27:34 PM

There is already a huge thread that I don't feel like searching up where all of this is covered. You should be able to find it.

Staff already said they have been working on/throwing around a project that would require people to know your exact sdesc in order to find your mind. Basically, they would have had to have met you IC'ly at one point to find your mind with the Way. (If they are already in the room with you, they can "contact figure", of course.)

This will/should get rid of all of the randoms who hear your name in a bar finding your mind just to sniff your sdesc.

This will also present even more limited opportunity for sponsored roles/leadership roles to hire people, because potential employees might need to actually MEET their prospective employer, but the employer doesn't know that they're looking for them, and since the candidate hasn't ever met the leader, he is no longer codedly able to way him to say "hey - I exist, Grumpy told me to find your mind to see if you'd interview me, I'm at Trader's."

I think a change like that won't solve any problem than a minor annoyance, and has the potential to be a game-breaker for new players who are trying to meet this week's Byn Sergeant, who spends most of his time in the compound, whose mind is totally available for contact, but you no longer are able to contact him unless you've already met him.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Or worse...It will lead to even more of one of my pet peeves, people going, "Yeah, you know, Sergeant Amos. He's, like, a tall, muscular man. Can't miss him!"

Quote from: Lizzie on March 03, 2014, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: Desertman on March 03, 2014, 03:27:34 PM

This will also present even more limited opportunity for sponsored roles/leadership roles to hire people, because potential employees might need to actually MEET their prospective employer, but the employer doesn't know that they're looking for them, and since the candidate hasn't ever met the leader, he is no longer codedly able to way him to say "hey - I exist, Grumpy told me to find your mind to see if you'd interview me, I'm at Trader's."

I think a change like that won't solve any problem than a minor annoyance, and has the potential to be a game-breaker for new players who are trying to meet this week's Byn Sergeant, who spends most of his time in the compound, whose mind is totally available for contact, but you no longer are able to contact him unless you've already met him.

If he's doing it right, he himself and his people should be readily available enough to get newb A and B to an interview in short order. I see what you are saying, I just don't necessarily agree it is as much of a game breaker as you think it might be for new players.

I'm willing to admit in this disagreement about hypotheticals there exists the possibility I am wrong.

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on March 03, 2014, 03:46:47 PM
Or worse...It will lead to even more of one of my pet peeves, people going, "Yeah, you know, Sergeant Amos. He's, like, a tall, muscular man. Can't miss him!"

This is what the request tool/report function is for. I always report these people. I haven't seen it this blatant in a while though, which is a good thing.

I had a previous character that was once told IG by another character that thieves and assassins use the way to contact you and leave and contact and leave to throw you off your guard.

I've had characters in the past that were directly Way'd over and over again by people (I'm sure just to upset my character). Personally I think this should be labeled as abuse, however its not considered that way. There are other ways IG IC'ly to upset, frighten, scare, terrify, etc another character. I just think that Waying to do it is OOC'dly a childish way of doing it and personally speaking poor RP. I think knowing the sdesc of whoever contacts you would put an end to this.

I don't think you should be unable to contact someone you haven't met perse I just think they should know who you are if you are contacting them, at the time the minds link.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 03, 2014, 04:10:49 PM
I had a previous character that was once told IG by another character that thieves and assassins use the way to contact you and leave and contact and leave to throw you off your guard.

I've had characters in the past that were directly Way'd over and over again by people (I'm sure just to upset my character). Personally I think this should be labeled as abuse, however its not considered that way. There are other ways IG IC'ly to upset, frighten, scare, terrify, etc another character. I just think that Waying to do it is OOC'dly a childish way of doing it and personally speaking poor RP. I think knowing the sdesc of whoever contacts you would put an end to this.

I don't think you should be unable to contact someone you haven't met perse I just think they should know who you are if you are contacting them, at the time the minds link.

Them contacting you and leaving your mind repeatedly is a perfectly IC way of annoying you IC'ly. The IC counters are barrier and expel. The fact you let it annoy you OOC'ly is probably just a bonus to them.

When this...step back...breathe...remember only a game...chuckle...react IC.

Quote from: Desertman on March 03, 2014, 04:44:53 PM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 03, 2014, 04:10:49 PM

Them contacting you and leaving your mind repeatedly is a perfectly IC way of annoying you IC'ly. The IC counters are barrier and expel. The fact you let it annoy you OOC'ly is probably just a bonus to them.

When this...step back...breathe...remember only a game...chuckle...react IC.

Like I said this seems petty and childish for anyone that would sink to this low of a level when there are other ways. Plus its potentially dangerous for very REAL OOC reasons depending on how often its happening. Lets say 15 times in 30 minutes. I find that a little excessive and it shouldn't be allowed. Something like that is really petty and childish. Luckily for the character of mine in the past that happened to he wasn't anywhere dangerous and I could just laugh it off as someone being petty and childish.

Didn't you put in a complaint about that?  Didn't we tell you it wasn't what you thought it was?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on March 04, 2014, 09:29:32 AM
Didn't you put in a complaint about that?  Didn't we tell you it wasn't what you thought it was?

If complaint response =/= desired response, make GDB post to try and get complaint against another player validated. Let the butthurt begin to heal, unless you get told you are being a herp-derp by the community, then, pretend to not care.

Near, u so newb, u dnt understandz teh fermulas.

I am HUGELY against anyone knowing who ways you just because you're contacted. I find that it's perfectly IC for people who are hunting you or wanting to annoy you even to be jumping in and out of your mind. Some of my characters hate it, usually the ones who have something to hide. Others don't even care.

Changing the code for an ooc annoyance is silly, especially with the amount of us who reach people by sdesc alone.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I just feel there is no IC reason why you shouldn't be able to know who is contacting you. If there is someone kindly explain it.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 10:48:12 AM
I just feel there is no IC reason why you shouldn't be able to know who is contacting you. If there is someone kindly explain it.

I'm much more interested in you explaining the IC reason behind your feeling that you SHOULD be able to know who is contacting your mind.

Please, your RL experience with psionic activity will no doubt lend valuable insight into why it is not IC for magical mind powers to not function the way you think they should.

Quote from: Desertman on March 04, 2014, 11:26:30 AM

I'm much more interested in you explaining the IC reason behind your feeling that you SHOULD be able to know who is contacting your mind.

Please, your RL experience with psionic activity will no doubt lend valuable insight into why it is not IC for magical mind powers to not function the way you think they should.

And I suppose your RL experience with psionic activity tells why you wouldn't know.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 11:34:38 AM
Quote from: Desertman on March 04, 2014, 11:26:30 AM

And I suppose your RL experience with psionic activity tells why you wouldn't know.

I'm not the one with a complaint about the way it functions currently in this regard. I don't claim to know or feel that it should work one way or another.

You are the one who believes you know something more than I do. I just want you to explain what RL experience you have that gives you the below opinion you have already publically stated.

Oddly enough there's no IC reason why you should be able to know who is contacting you either.  Or maybe there are IC reasons and we just don't know.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

According to a question posed in Ask The Staff there is no IC reason its coded that way.

March 04, 2014, 11:40:08 AM #19 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:42:30 AM by manipura

The IC reason is because it's the way it is?  It's the way staff intends it to be?  
Why should you immediately know -who- is in your mind just because they've reached you but haven't said anything?  When someone finds your mind, you feel a foreign presence.  It's a -foreign- presence because you don't know who it is.  Once they speak, then you know and it isn't foreign anymore.  It's like back in the day before caller ID.  Someone would call and you wouldn't know who it was, unless they said something.

Maybe I'm off with this, but I sort of see the Way like this:
* Someone, a foreign presence, finds my mind.  
Maybe this means I feel something in my head, a little bit of a fuzziness for a moment or a blip or a little wave or whatever you want to call it to describe it.  There's some indication in my head that my mindparts have been invaded by someone, someone has connected to me, but I don't know who.
* They linger and don't say anything.  
I don't continue to feel that strange feeling I had when they first slipped into my mindparts, this is why I don't get an echo of "You suffer from use of the Way", because they have exerted the mental energy to find me, not the other way around.  However, if I am relatively 'aware', I will know that they haven't left my head because I didn't feel the same fuzzy/blippy/wavy feeling when they broke their connection.
* They say something.
The presence in my head says something, yay!  Now I hear a thought in my mind, like someone else speaking in my head and I also have a bit of a mental image of them too because they have announced themselves to me.  So now I know that the little blip in my head is the tall, muscular man, because when he sends me a thought and I hear it in my head, the image flickering in my head is him.

It isn't the greatest explanation, but I think people sometimes want some sort of -visual- idea of how the Way works.  
That's the way that I personally think of it to come up with some sort of -how- this feels in my head and -why- it works the way it does.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 09:13:32 AM
Like I said this seems petty and childish for anyone that would sink to this low of a level when there are other ways. Plus its potentially dangerous for very REAL OOC reasons depending on how often its happening. Lets say 15 times in 30 minutes. I find that a little excessive and it shouldn't be allowed. Something like that is really petty and childish. Luckily for the character of mine in the past that happened to he wasn't anywhere dangerous and I could just laugh it off as someone being petty and childish.

Maybe it is petty and childish, but a lot of people (and therefore, presumably a lot of PCs) can be petty and childish.  It's the equivalent of that ten year old kid prank calling the kids in his class and hanging up without saying anything.  

I don't even know if I want to ask this, but I'm so curious that I can't -not- ask...How in the world is this "potentially dangerous for very REAL OOC reasons...?"

As well, SMT, I think you previously mentioned something about this behaviour being stopped by knowing the sdesc of someone in your head?  Also it would be stopped by having to have met the person before you can Way them?   I doubt this would stop anything.  I'd be willing to bet that the ten year old bully 'prank calling' your mind fifteen times in a half hour is someone that your character knows.  What would knowing the sdesc of the person in your head achieve anyway?  Does that mean your character would be constantly running to the Templarate/the Legion/the Arm/whoever and continually telling them "Amos keeps finding my mind and not saying anything!  Make him stop!"

Edited: Typo.  Meh.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 11:38:22 AM
According to a question posed in Ask The Staff there is no IC reason its coded that way.

That post said no such thing.

You wish it did. But it didn't.

QuoteBecause it is coded that way.

It does not say there is no IC reason why it is coded that way.

Quote from: Desertman on March 04, 2014, 11:41:00 AM

Re-read the original question. It was asked if there was an IG reason for it. That was the answer received meaning that it is simply coded that way. If there was an IG reason it should have been answered that there was.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 11:43:54 AM

Re-read the original question. It was asked if there was an IG reason for it. That was the answer received meaning that it is simply coded that way. If there was an IG reason it should have been answered that there was.

You see, you saying, "If there is no IG reason it should have been answered the way I think it should have been answered." is not only inaccurate, it is comical.

The staff is not required to answer a question the way you believe they should answer it.

The Way is not required to work the way you believe it should work. (For reasons you have still yet to give btw.)

It does not say what you want it to say. End of story. The staff is not required to follow your answering rules, and they didn't.

Their answer could and probably did mean, "It is coded that way, for IG reasons we don't want to and will not tell you. We don't even want to confirm if there are IG reasons, for reasons we aren't required to tell you Silvermoontiger."

Sorry, thus is reality.

Quote from: Desertman on March 04, 2014, 11:47:39 AM

You see, you saying, "If there is no IG reason it should have been answered the way I think it should have been answered." is not only inaccurate, it is comical.

The staff is not required to answer a question the way you believe they should answer it.

The Way is not required to work the way you believe it should work. (For reasons you have still yet to give btw.)

It does not say what you want it to say. End of story. The staff is not required to follow your answering rules, and they didn't.

Their answer could and probably did mean, "It is coded that way, for IG reasons we don't want to and will not tell you. We don't even want to confirm if there are IG reasons, for reasons we aren't required to tell you Silvermoontiger."

Sorry, thus is reality.

Interesting Desertman... Really interesting. I'm sorry I thought this forum was to post ideas of what you thought would improve the code. To ask questions. Not to get a Final answer from another player just because they believe their way is right and yours is wrong.

March 04, 2014, 11:55:25 AM #24 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:57:15 AM by Desertman
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 11:52:14 AM

Sorry, thus is reality.

Interesting Desertman... Really interesting. I'm sorry I thought this forum was to post ideas of what you thought would improve the code. To ask questions. Not to get a Final answer from another player just because they believe their way is right and yours is wrong.

I don't believe you are wrong. I never said it shouldn't work the way you want it to work.

I just really want to hear your reasons for why it should work the way you want it to work. You have yet to give them. Perhaps if you gave your RL psionic experience tales that back why you feel psionic activity in game is not IC'ly accurate, I would be willing to jump on your change train.

Right now, I just see whining and complaining someone annoyed you with a thinly veiled desire to have the GDB back the fact you want to complain about another player, when the staff already shot you down.

Quote from: Desertman on March 04, 2014, 11:55:25 AM

Sorry, thus is reality.

I don't believe you are wrong. I never said it shouldn't work the way you want it to work.

I just really want to hear your reasons for why it should work the way you want it to work. You have yet to give them.

The Way - Mysterious and psionics. Thoughts are transmitted through this form of communication.

When someone reaches your mind you should be able to tell a little about who they are or what they are. Maybe not a full description. If its someone you have Way'd before there should be some sort of familiarity about the particular mind.

Akin to other things like if you hear a shout from the north. If its someone you know you should be able to recognize who it is because you've heard their voice before.
Akin to if someone has a cloak up and they whisper or talk to you and you've heard their voice before you should know who it is.
Akin to if you see someone's tracks in the sand and you've seen that persons tracks before and know who's they are you should be able to know.

All of these things in real life you would know about. I understand codedly how the above examples are probably impossible. However, knowing the mind that contacts you shouldn't be impossible. It might be. I could be wrong.

I agree with moontiger. You want to know why? Because it would be better that way. Arguing for the sake of arguing is fun and all, but D-man, you're really not helping with anything. You want to know why he want it this way? Because caller-ID is cool. It's useful in the real world, and it would be useful in the game.

That's all.

My new contribution, to try and keep up with the ongoing banter here:

Maybe you can recognize someone shouting a room away, maybe not.  That's sort of saying that any voice you have ever heard is going to be recognizable to you at any given time.  The code has no way of knowing how well you know a person, so by default you won't recognize their shouts.  Same with cloaked whispers.

Knowing who someone is because of their tracks?  How do you know that it was Bob the Breed who wears chalton boots that left these tracks, and not Betty the Breed who also wears chalton boots?

Meh.  Now we're on page two of this thread and my last post has been ignored.
*scrunchface*

Well for one, you aren't actually USING the Way when someone contacts you.

So it makes sense that the person expending stun knows who they contacted, whilst Amos doesn't get much of a picture as he's scraping salt.
"Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

"Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."

Ya'll really need to stop making "sense" of it. Unless you've got the staff's Psionicists documentation on hand, speculation is pointless.

Instead say why it would be good, or bad for the game.

Quote from: Knight of Knives on March 04, 2014, 12:14:23 PM

So it makes sense that the person expending stun knows who they contacted, whilst Amos doesn't get much of a picture as he's scraping salt.

Another Psionic skill that uses up some stun to identify who is in contact with you?
Part-Time Internets Lady

Quote from: QuillDipper on March 04, 2014, 12:18:23 PM
Quote from: Knight of Knives on March 04, 2014, 12:14:23 PM

Another Psionic skill that uses up some stun to identify who is in contact with you?

Might be beyond the reach of the average Amos.
"Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

"Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."

Quote from: manipura on March 04, 2014, 11:40:08 AM

The IC reason is because it's the way it is?  It's the way staff intends it to be?  
Why should you immediately know -who- is in your mind just because they've reached you but haven't said anything?  When someone finds your mind, you feel a foreign presence.  It's a -foreign- presence because you don't know who it is.  Once they speak, then you know and it isn't foreign anymore.  It's like back in the day before caller ID.  Someone would call and you wouldn't know who it was, unless they said something.

Maybe I'm off with this, but I sort of see the Way like this:
* Someone, a foreign presence, finds my mind.  
Maybe this means I feel something in my head, a little bit of a fuzziness for a moment or a blip or a little wave or whatever you want to call it to describe it.  There's some indication in my head that my mindparts have been invaded by someone, someone has connected to me, but I don't know who.
* They linger and don't say anything.  
I don't continue to feel that strange feeling I had when they first slipped into my mindparts, this is why I don't get an echo of "You suffer from use of the Way", because they have exerted the mental energy to find me, not the other way around.  However, if I am relatively 'aware', I will know that they haven't left my head because I didn't feel the same fuzzy/blippy/wavy feeling when they broke their connection.
* They say something.
The presence in my head says something, yay!  Now I hear a thought in my mind, like someone else speaking in my head and I also have a bit of a mental image of them too because they have announced themselves to me.  So now I know that the little blip in my head is the tall, muscular man, because when he sends me a thought and I hear it in my head, the image flickering in my head is him.

It isn't the greatest explanation, but I think people sometimes want some sort of -visual- idea of how the Way works.  
That's the way that I personally think of it to come up with some sort of -how- this feels in my head and -why- it works the way it does.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 09:13:32 AM

Maybe it is petty and childish, but a lot of people (and therefore, presumably a lot of PCs) can be petty and childish.  It's the equivalent of that ten year old kid prank calling the kids in his class and hanging up without saying anything.  

I don't even know if I want to ask this, but I'm so curious that I can't -not- ask...How in the world is this "potentially dangerous for very REAL OOC reasons...?"

As well, SMT, I think you previously mentioned something about this behaviour being stopped by knowing the sdesc of someone in your head?  Also it would be stopped by having to have met the person before you can Way them?   I doubt this would stop anything.  I'd be willing to bet that the ten year old bully 'prank calling' your mind fifteen times in a half hour is someone that your character knows.  What would knowing the sdesc of the person in your head achieve anyway?  Does that mean your character would be constantly running to the Templarate/the Legion/the Arm/whoever and continually telling them "Amos keeps finding my mind and not saying anything!  Make him stop!"

Edited: Typo.  Meh.

Manipura

It might be that way. Sure. Could also be that someone you've had contact with or are close to or are bonded with you would know their mind intimately when they contact you. Other's that you have Way'd before you would have a faint hint about who or what they are. People you have never Way'd before you wouldn't know...

Of course the code doesn't keep track of this. And to make it do so would take a LOT of coding and a LOT of time. Maybe this is just a dream and not something that could work out Codedly speaking. Does that mean I should have never broached the topic? I thought this forum was to express ones beliefs about code they think would be of a benefit. I don't remember anything saying that if its not possible you shouldn't even discuss it. I could be wrong there as well.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 12:00:24 PM
Quote from: Desertman on March 04, 2014, 11:55:25 AM

Sorry, thus is reality.

I just really want to hear your reasons for why it should work the way you want it to work. You have yet to give them.

The Way - Mysterious and psionics. Thoughts are transmitted through this form of communication.

When someone reaches your mind you should be able to tell a little about who they are or what they are. Maybe not a full description. If its someone you have Way'd before there should be some sort of familiarity about the particular mind.

Akin to other things like if you hear a shout from the north. If its someone you know you should be able to recognize who it is because you've heard their voice before.
Akin to if someone has a cloak up and they whisper or talk to you and you've heard their voice before you should know who it is.
Akin to if you see someone's tracks in the sand and you've seen that persons tracks before and know who's they are you should be able to know.

All of these things in real life you would know about. I understand codedly how the above examples are probably impossible. However, knowing the mind that contacts you shouldn't be impossible. It might be. I could be wrong.

None of those things have anything to do with psionic activity. Those are all audible/verbal representations of being familiar with someone through past dealings.

The Way is not a verbal/audible component. You are making the unfounded and unverified assumption that the Way works like talking, which has never been confirmed.

Those examples are not applicable to The Way.

What it boils down to is exactly what RGS said, which is what I have been trying to get out of you. I just prefer to let people think they have come to their own conclusions instead of me just "telling" them what they are thinking.

Basically, you WANT the Way to work this way because you would enjoy it more on an OOC level.

There is no justified IC reasoning, so your use of "IC'ly it makes no sense", is a failed and unsubstantiated claim in every way.

You just want it this way because you would enjoy it more this way and people would stop being able to rustle your jimmies by finding your mind and leaving your mind, which is the entire root of your complaint, as stated by yourself.

There is nothing wrong with that. You can want what you want. But, there is no IC reasoning or justification for it. Just say it's what you want if it's what you want.

March 04, 2014, 12:26:37 PM #34 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:33:52 PM by Molten Heart
Maybe the IC reason is that your character just isn't that skilled with the Way.  The Way is mysterious et al.

-James Brown

Whoops, double post.

-James Brown

Quote from: Molten Heart on March 04, 2014, 12:26:37 PM
Maybe the IC reason is that your character just isn't that skilled with the Way.  The Way is mysterious et al.

Kind of hard to say this when your character has master in both contact and barrier. Only thing more experienced would be a mind worm.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 12:33:11 PM
Maybe the IC reason is that your character just isn't that skilled with the Way.  The Way is mysterious et al.

Kind of hard to say this when your character has master in both contact and barrier. Only thing more experienced would be a mind worm.

Not being privy to the mysteries of the Way, I'd judge from the help file and say that there's probably more to the Way than just contact and barrier.  I'm not saying I know everything.  I am saying that I don't know everything.

-James Brown

Quote from: Molten Heart on March 04, 2014, 12:36:06 PM

Not being privy to the mysteries of the Way, I'd judge from the help file and say that there's probably more to the Way than just contact and barrier.  I'm not saying I know everything.  I am saying that I don't know everything.

Never claimed to know everything, however for purpose of this board and discussion anymore information about Psi skills beyond Contact and Barrier would be considered IC information.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 12:42:22 PM

Never claimed to know everything, however for purpose of this board and discussion anymore information about Psi skills beyond Contact and Barrier would be considered IC information.

Read Expel help file.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 04, 2014, 12:42:22 PM

I agree, this is probably something best discovered IC.

-James Brown

You can assume there is an IC reason behind contact working the way it does for mundane characters. Even with master contact, master barrier, and master expel, a normal person's mind is not attuned to the Way enough to sense specifics about who is or isn't connected with it.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Sorry, thus is reality.

This should be someone's sig.  Or maybe a nice sticky to put at the top of a display...  so much cutting and pasting...
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 04, 2014, 01:05:02 PM
You can assume there is an IC reason behind contact working the way it does for mundane characters. Even with master contact, master barrier, and master expel, a normal person's mind is not attuned to the Way enough to sense specifics about who is or isn't connected with it.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

The Rah hath spoken!

RAH RAH RAH!  ;D ;D ;D

(PS: I agree)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on February 22, 2014, 02:10:51 PM
I've looked over and maybe I'm missing a post that explains this. I remember the days when there used to be no notification of someone contacting you, you would just get the message. Could someone please state why it is that you don't know who contacts you? Is it due to coding or is there actually a IG reason for this?

Thank You!

Quote from: Nyr on February 22, 2014, 02:58:43 PM
Because it is coded that way.

To elaborate:  it is coded that way because staff coded it that way, intentionally.  You're reading into that response too much if you read it as "it's just that way because we have no idea and that's just the code."  Your interpretation of what the Way should be isn't the same as what staff believes it should be.  When that changes, the code or documentation around it will change.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

March 04, 2014, 02:30:11 PM #45 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:57:39 PM by Molten Heart
Quote from: Lizzie on March 04, 2014, 02:24:12 PM
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 04, 2014, 01:05:02 PM

So let it be written, so let it be done.

The Rah hath spoken!

Rah Rah ah ah ah ah!  ;D ;D ;D

(PS: I agree)

Modified slightly and added a clickable url for musical commentary.

-James Brown

To kind of add  a little of my own:

The fact that commonfolk get expel is a lot. That's literally an offensive mental (or defensive mental) ability to throw people out of your head.

That's the absolute 100% closest the average person gets to having real control over the Way. If you want to play somebody who knows EVERYTHING about the Way, and can manipulate it to their desires, then I suggest you get 8 karma and roll a Psionicist. They (I guess) would be the ones who could sense out who is contacting them, could blow their minds up if so desired, could possibly even tear the mind apart and create a new one (at that point you're probably some kind of Psionic God I would assume).

Knowing who is Waying you requires you to somehow backtrace the Way through all the other little tangents to pick out the one signal that is actually reaching you. That would require some pretty intense concentration (similar, somewhat, to ip-tracing someone connected to you).

In short, it's something that, ICly, is just beyond your powers the same way hurling molten lava at somebody is beyond the average persons powers. There's a reason only (insert elemental or sorcerer here) gets to shout words of power before blowing you up or ripping all the blood out of your body.

For some of you talking, if you seriously want OOC psionic experience I'll uh ... draw on a fair analogue and pretend it is actually psionics.  ;)

(Don't ask how I got this, but) In my OOC 'psionic' experience, being 'contacted' feels like a pressure against the head. The only way I can tell who's contacting me is which part of the head is experiencing this; and that is far from reliable, and takes some time to pin down. Once communication begins, it can involve auditory, visual, tactile, olfactory, thought, emotion. Visual gets stronger when approaching sleep. Communication is easiest but most jumbled by means of direct thought; language tends to be the preferable compromise ... with song being the absolute easiest form of it to use and receive.

So uh ... I suppose I don't envision the Way giving much information about who's contacting you unless you're quite often in contact with that person.

Quote from: Kalai on March 04, 2014, 06:53:19 PM
For some of you talking, if you seriously want OOC psionic experience I'll uh ... draw on a fair analogue and pretend it is actually psionics.  ;)

(Don't ask how I got this, but) In my OOC 'psionic' experience, being 'contacted' feels like a pressure against the head. The only way I can tell who's contacting me is which part of the head is experiencing this; and that is far from reliable, and takes some time to pin down. Once communication begins, it can involve auditory, visual, tactile, olfactory, thought, emotion. Visual gets stronger when approaching sleep. Communication is easiest but most jumbled by means of direct thought; language tends to be the preferable compromise ... with song being the absolute easiest form of it to use and receive.

So uh ... I suppose I don't envision the Way giving much information about who's contacting you unless you're quite often in contact with that person.

Now, now, everything's gonna be alright... put down the drugs and come with me.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on March 04, 2014, 07:34:04 PM
Now, now, everything's gonna be alright... put down the drugs and come with me.
Pure meditation, I assure you, I can't handle more than a cup of coffee a day's worth of drugs.

March 04, 2014, 10:43:40 PM #50 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:46:29 PM by FantasyWriter
....why you can't figure out who Way's you or if that's just how things were coded.

Because a -foreign- presence has just entered your mind.  The mind of another creature with whom you are not intimately familiar.
I -would- actually like to see a short desc appear once a certain level of psychic intimacy has been established.

For example:
psi contact 1 from Amos: A foreign presence contacts your mind.

psi contact after 1000 messages to and from Amos: A familiar presence contacts your mind.

psi contact after 5000 messages to and from Amos: The tall, muscular man contacts your mind.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I like that ...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870