Dig command?

Started by Forest Junkie, September 06, 2003, 10:10:16 PM

Is it all that and a bag o' Lays?

It's a nice addition. FJ deserves a malt beverage.
18 (69.2%)
It's doesn't really add much to the world.
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 16, 2003, 10:10:16 PM

So, any thoughts? Would it be feasible? Would it contribute to the game?

I figure, sometimes, there may be a valuable you have that you want to hide, or possibly, a valuable you may want to unearth i.e. an artifact. So, I propose a command that would allow you to make a hole to put items in, such as a body or an item. The hole could serve the same purpose as a "save room", in that during a reboot/crash, the item would not disappear from the hole.

Only required tool would be a shovel...or, in the case of sand, your hands...? :roll:

Possible syntax for code:

>dig hole ground
You begin to dig a sizable hole with your hands/spade.
>l i hole
In a large, sizeable hole you see: a thin, jagged shard of glass.
>get glass hole
You get a thin, jagged shard of glass from a large, sizeable hole.
>fill hole
You fill the hole back up with soil from the surrounding area.

What do you think?

QuoteThe hole could serve the same purpose as a "save room", in that during a reboot/crash, the item would not disappear from the hole.

That's the tough part, and I don't see that getting added anytime soon unless we make all the rooms save rooms.  Which involves a pretty major overhaul.

Cripes!!! I didn't even think of that...

Well, is it possible to make the dig command a "trigger" of sorts, so that if the hole is dug, it creates a save room on it's on? I don't even know if that is possible, as I'm not a coder, but if it could be, that might work. :?

But yes, you are correct. I would have to agree it would be a daunting task to convert all rooms to save rooms for the sole purpose of being able to dig.

I've seen it done in diku before without making any rooms save rooms, and just using scripts.

dig starts a script that makes a "hole" the hole is actually nothing, normaly the syntax is throw object hole, then if using scripts, the "hole" script makes an obj in a special save room, the obj works almost exactly like the ticket system for renting mounts or tailoring items, it keeps track of the room it was "buried" in what it was and how long ago.

Then, if somebody digs again in the same room the dig script runs a check for items in the save room with a matching room number.

Pretty easy really.

It keeps track of time because the longer it is buried, the harder it is to find again, and if enough time passes the "buried" item is deleted.

This would be fun for corpses too since somebody could add in varied stages of decay.

You could possibly even make a skill for finding buried items or simply make it easier for some classes or subs to find stuff and maybe find it after a longer period of time.

Add some pitfalls too, maybe dig up a pissed off scorpion or snake or whatever.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Or, you could dig a hole, then "trap" it X-D.

>l n
You see nothing special
>think Heh, nothing for miles. Safe tracks all the way to Luirs.
>n
As you make your way through the area, you step onto a brush covered hole, falling into a bed of baobab spikes.

*beep*

Watch your step, heh. :twisted:

Actually, this is a project I have been half-working on, on the side. The idea would be that you could dig holes, which would be, specifically, temporary. If a crash happened, it was my plan to just play it off as somenoe coming through and scavenging whatever you buried, or the sands shifting and buring it in the wastes forever.

So, my easy solution would be to make it so they aren't save rooms at all. If you leave something buried in the desert somewhere...don't be surprised if you loose it forever.

I shelved this temporarially because I got busy with other things, but I might could dust it off and tinker with it again. No idea when it would actually go in, though, and no garuntees.
Tlaloc
Legend

For what its worth, Tlaloc, I like your take on it.  Hiding something in the desert for too long is a good way to lose it forever.  One good sandstorm can move a small dune.

Absolutely, I think it would be ridiculous to bury something in the desert and expect to find it again.

Secondly I think rangers\scavengers? maybe should be able to walk into the room and notice some strangely bumpy ground or something. And anyone with good search skill could search down or something and figure out that theres a dug hole there.

Other than that just RP it out.

Drop steel is buried under the sand

A steel warsword lies here, buried under the sand.

And then pray no twinks walk by  :D
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Well...I suppose I only have one more question then. Where's my damned malt beverage!!! :P

First of all: Dig?

Now, this was on the gdb way back when, and I'll say the same thing now that I said then.

You don't need to make every room a save room. The rooms have numbers, right? Those numbers are values? How about a universal storage space, one single room-like "thing" (I don't code any more) that is nowhere in particular, but accessed at any time by the code. When you bury something, it goes into that place with the room number. Everything and anything that is under the sand in zalanthas is in that space, but nothing can be taken out unless you dig from the same room in which the item was buried. I don't know how to do that, and I don't know what to use for storage. But I know it can be done, so shush.

It would be good.

Dig?
Dig?

I'd just like to be able to hide bodies. ;)

Quote from: "Delirium"I'd just like to be able to hide bodies. ;)

Yeah, would make getting rid of the bodies of those cuddle-happy northerners much easier.

:twisted:
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]