Artifact Caches (AKA "Booty call")

Started by Tiernan, February 17, 2014, 10:32:21 AM

February 17, 2014, 10:32:21 AM Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:54:35 AM by Tiernan
Announcing a new feature in the 17 Feb 2014 release, which adds artifact caches to the world.

Want to bury your spice stash before entering Allanak?   Yes, you can!

Want to seek your fortune scavenging the wastes for profit?   Yes, you can!

Want to find a use for that antiquated 'search' skill?   Yes, well... okay that one's mostly on us.  But you get to enjoy the benefit!

Key aspects of this feature:

• PCs can bury items in a room, creating / adding to an artifact cache.  This is of course based on sector type, as you cannot bury things inside buildings and city streets, etc.
  • PCs can discover artifact caches using the 'search' skill.
  • PCs using 'forage artifact' will use the cache first before auto-generating code kicks in (where allowed).
  • Corpses will decay and deposit their contents into an artifact cache in certain sectors.

Associated helpfiles:

Notes:

• Buried items are only retrievable through the use of the 'forage artifact' skill.
  • Buried items do not persist over reboots, with the exception of anything buried in a room identified as a 'Save' room.
  • Bury items at your own risk! There are no guarantees against discovery by real or virtual characters of your artifact cache.
  • Do not taunt Happy, Fun Cache. *
  • If Happy Fun Cache begins to smoke, seek shelter and cover head. *

* Still legal outside both city-states.   Accept no substitutes.   Facetious comments apply where required by common sense.

OMG.  Thank you!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I was trying for a poetic reply to this, but instead I'll just put on my silt-hat, grab my skimmer and say:

"YAAAAARRRRR!!!"
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I've wanted this forever. Thank you very much.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Can you bury containers with items in them?

Quote from: Desertman on February 17, 2014, 10:52:12 AM
Also, can you bury corpses?

Yes you can (if you can pick it up)!

Update: Tiernan totally beat me to it!

This is completely glorious.

Won't them pesky elves attempt to grief artifact-foragers by burying hundreds of pebbles? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Will there be more save rooms added to allow the burying of artifacts and neat stuff for people to find?

Quote from: Saellyn on February 17, 2014, 11:04:25 AM
Will there be more save rooms added to allow the burying of artifacts and neat stuff for people to find?

No additional building is planned to retrofit the world.

Wow thank you, this is amazing.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

One other note, is this going to allow search skill to be part of more guilds/sub/extended subguilds? For instance with this new feature I can think of a few of those that would naturally have the search skill.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on February 17, 2014, 11:13:10 AM
One other note, is this going to allow search skill to be part of more guilds/sub/extended subguilds? For instance with this new feature I can think of a few of those that would naturally have the search skill.

No, we're not adding it to Ranger, Outdoorsman or any other guild/subguild.   I think it's fine being part of the Scavenger subguild for anyone who wants to take up a career scavenging the wastes for booty.

Could it possibly be added to the Ext Subguild Grebber?  Unless it already is.

Wow, this is the best code addition ...  Ever.  I always thought it was a cool idea on the forums, but I never thought I'd see it!

Wow, this is a really cool concept that I have been kind of secretly hoping for forever.  Thanks staff who worked on this!
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Very neat! Thanks for the hard work!

- Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Really love this concept but sorta sad that it doesn't exist through reboots.  Is there any way for us to put requests to get something more permanent with a cache?

Also, what happens if I bury a chest with a ton of stuff in it that I can't lift?  Does the item show up on the ground or go into my inventory? 
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on February 17, 2014, 11:48:43 AM
Really love this concept but sorta sad that it doesn't exist through reboots.  Is there any way for us to put requests to get something more permanent with a cache?

Also, what happens if I bury a chest with a ton of stuff in it that I can't lift?  Does the item show up on the ground or go into my inventory? 

From what was posted earlier, it seems to me that if you can't lift it, you can't bury it.

And things do persist through reboots..but, like everything else, only in save rooms.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

This is so amazing!!! This code addition opens up so many doors.

Damn it. I love this game. Great job guys!!

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Really love this concept but sorta sad that it doesn't exist through reboots.  Is there any way for us to put requests to get something more permanent with a cache?

Currently, we do not have a persistent world that's backed by a transactional DB.  If we did, we'd also have a decay model so that things would spoil, rot, break down and all that good stuff over time.  I explored ways to add persistence to caches and came to the conclusion that it wasn't feasible given the limitations of our current engine.

Also, what happens if I bury a chest with a ton of stuff in it that I can't lift?  Does the item show up on the ground or go into my inventory?  

Same thing that happens now when you try to forage something and it doesn't fit into your inventory, it'll be on the ground but visible.

Is it necessary to search and find the cache before you can forage its contents?

February 17, 2014, 01:32:33 PM #27 Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:04:20 PM by James de Monet
So awesome. Let the poop burying begin!

Edited to add:
In seriousness, I have been wanting this change for a long time. Should make the wastes far more habitable and interesting!
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

February 17, 2014, 01:50:16 PM #28 Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:07:03 PM by Riev
So, you can use "search" to discover the secret cache... or you can randomly "forage artifact" to pull from it (if it exists)?

Or does Search just let you know that, indeed, there is a secret cache there?

Edit: Clarification:
Can you randomly forage artifact in an area, and it will pull from a cache, if it exists? This would give high-forage PCs a reason to just randomly dig in the ground, at times.

If so, then the Search skill's only use (so far as burying items) is to determine, for a fact, there is a cache without wasting the forage attempts?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Kankman on February 17, 2014, 01:29:23 PM
Is it necessary to search and find the cache before you can forage its contents?

Quote from: Riev on February 17, 2014, 01:50:16 PM
So, you can use "search" to discover the secret cache... or you can randomly "forage artifact" to pull from it (if it exists)?

Or does Search just let you know that, indeed, there is a secret cache there?

So we're venturing into what you'd consider good use of the code here versus code abuse.  For someone to go back and fetch what they left, they need to be able to forage it up without being reliant on the search skill.

However, I  cannot and will not condone using brute force "forage artifact" in every room you walk around the wastes in as proper and good use of the code.    It would be as bad as using brute force on "open" with every conceivable door keyword to find a hidden exit in a room.  Just because the code allows something doesn't always make it the best option to use.  You can expect the staff's position on brute force foraging to be consistent with our code abuse policy.

Okay. One more tiny clarification.

Anyone can forage artifact, that is proven.

So, let me just go off on a slight tangent.

I'm Joe Grebber warrior/hunter, and I bury myself a chest full of stuff in a save room. If I forage artifacts, will it eventually skill-roll to find THAT CHEST with all its contents? Or will it forage for the chest, or its contents one piece at a time?

We already covered that you can bury containers with items in them.  By the same logic, you can forage out containers with items in them.

This is very neat, thanks.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

If I bury a chest..
and someone else buries a chest..
and someone else buries a chest..

and an hour later I return to retrieve my chest..

do I retrieve my own chest by default? Or do I retrieve the most recently buried one, regardless of whose it is?

or do I retrieve the least-skillfully-buried one, regardless of whose it is...

or

are multiple caches not buryable in the same room?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

February 17, 2014, 03:56:43 PM #36 Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:14:22 PM by Tiernan
One cache per room.  Forage results may vary based on the real and virtual environment.  No semblance of ownership is maintained.  Once you bury it, it belongs to Zalanthas.

EDIT:  Signing off the long AMA about Forage Cache thread here.  I think we've reached a point where you can experiment with it IC and suss out the answer.

Any plans to add city-based caches to the game? I'm sort of in love with the idea of dead drops in an alley somewhere.

I can't wait to bury all of you.
Whatever happens, happens.

I am now, ICly, renting out the entire square of space just north of each Allanaki Gate, for you to bury your chests and boxes of spice. I'll even TELL YOU I can guarantee their security, even if I can't! Come on down to Trader Amos' Silly Spice Sacks, today!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Tiernan on February 17, 2014, 02:11:24 PM
However, I  cannot and will not condone using brute force "forage artifact" in every room you walk around the wastes in as proper and good use of the code.    It would be as bad as using brute force on "open" with every conceivable door keyword to find a hidden exit in a room.  Just because the code allows something doesn't always make it the best option to use.  You can expect the staff's position on brute force foraging to be consistent with our code abuse policy.

2 questions :

1. What method other than brute force should I to use when searching an area for a possible, randomly-placed cache?

2. What code abuse policy?  Can I see it?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

This makes me want to quit my rl job and become a treasure hunter.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Dalmeth on February 17, 2014, 05:06:46 PM
Quote from: Tiernan on February 17, 2014, 02:11:24 PM

2 questions :

1. What method other than brute force should I to use when searching an area for a possible, randomly-placed cache?

It really depends on the scope of what you are intending.  If you are a dwarf with the focus "dig up all of the things," it is reasonable to place an emphasis on this in your character's life.  Would it be reasonable to do this the entire time your character is logged in?  No, it would not--just like sparring constantly or doing any other coded pursuit constantly would be unreasonable.  If you are suspicious that there might be a cache in a certain area and you're looking for it, search an area methodically, sure.  But if you don't find it in a reasonable amount of time or you start spanning the entire Known World in search of something you are "sure" is there...maybe it's time to take a step back and not do that.

2. What code abuse policy?  Can I see it?

Don't do stupid stuff.  The things Tiernan mentioned are stupid things, gaming the game itself in order to achieve an end that has little to do with roleplay and a lot more to do with "winning."  On the same list would be traveling from one corner of the Known to the other because you can codedly do so, or sleeping to recover from wounds in a really stupid area because HP regen is more important than RP.  Things like that.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Has it been considered to add something to this effect in rooms for a certain time period?

A Room in the Desert [N, E, S, W]
     There is a lot of sand here, it is hot and dry, and something really nasty is probably about to eat your face.
The ground has recently been disturbed.

After a couple days of good weather, the disturbance in the force would disappear.
In a harsh sandstorm, it might disappear after only an in-game hour.

This would make buried cashes a little more risky for the the hoarder and a little more accessible for the scavenger.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Thank you.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Also..... OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG this is so f-ing awesome!!!!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I think more numerous rooms in more obscure places would really help with this.

I mean, maybe a few dozen, so there will be more places to go, "Aha, maybe this will be a good place to dig."

Add a couple of dozen in places close to the city states, a dozen or so in mid-outlying regions, and a half dozen to a dozen in "shit, you're either a maxed ranger, sorcerer or polymorphed to get here, dude" places.

The more places there are to hide and dig for loot, the more badass this will be.

...why you do this -now-?  Now must play more.  Must lose characters to thirst because I cannot...stop...foraging.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Another question since it isn't mentioned in the forage help file:

Can things be buried in the same spot that "artifacts" exist? If they can, and I'm really and truly trying to find artifacts and -not- buried caches... how does the code handle that? Is there a special command for if you're trying to find only the same kind of artifacts as has historically been forageable?

Quote from: Lizzie on February 18, 2014, 06:20:23 AM
Another question since it isn't mentioned in the forage help file:

Can things be buried in the same spot that "artifacts" exist? If they can, and I'm really and truly trying to find artifacts and -not- buried caches... how does the code handle that? Is there a special command for if you're trying to find only the same kind of artifacts as has historically been forageable?

Quote from: Tiernan on February 17, 2014, 10:32:21 AM

• PCs using 'forage artifact' will use the cache first before auto-generating code kicks in (where allowed).

Grebber - One who grebs.

I missed that line, thanks. As long as I can keep foraging for my humanoid pinky bone in the ruins of Steinal without having to do something "special" I'm happy.

Quote from: Kronibas on February 18, 2014, 02:46:01 AM
I think more numerous rooms in more obscure places would really help with this.

I mean, maybe a few dozen, so there will be more places to go, "Aha, maybe this will be a good place to dig."

Add a couple of dozen in places close to the city states, a dozen or so in mid-outlying regions, and a half dozen to a dozen in "shit, you're either a maxed ranger, sorcerer or polymorphed to get here, dude" places.

The more places there are to hide and dig for loot, the more badass this will be.
TO clarify, you are referring to save rooms, yeah?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: manonfire on February 17, 2014, 04:14:50 PM
Any plans to add city-based caches to the game? I'm sort of in love with the idea of dead drops in an alley somewhere.

Ahem, take a closer look at those allies dude....
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Are rooms that are marked only with [quit] rather than [save, quit] safe to bury things in? I'd imagine not, but I just wanted to be sure!

Tiernan for president!

(OF MY HEART.)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on February 18, 2014, 05:01:32 PM
Are rooms that are marked only with [quit] rather than [save, quit] safe to bury things in? I'd imagine not, but I just wanted to be sure!

It must explicitly be a save room.  Quit-safe is not enough.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Can you cache it up in the 'rinth? That's the kind of place where you'd want to hide your valuables, not carry them on you.
Quote from: Agameth
Goat porn is not prohibited in the Highlord's city.

Wtf. Awesome. This is just amazing, and while I know some of the generalities have been suggested before, whoever figured out how to code and implement this, kudos to you good Sir/Madam.
Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

Hmm. I return to see this. Very cool!  8)
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on March 13, 2014, 03:09:42 PM
Hmm. I return to see this. Very cool!  8)

Welcome back.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen