Newbie here, quick question "Language and You"

Started by rodic, January 31, 2014, 12:05:53 AM

Does 'JESUS H. CHRIST' not remind anyone else of Jagged Alliance 2?

Also don't do the whole fake cockney accent just because you're a ranger or some shit. It gets tiring quick.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

As long as I've been playing the game I've never seen someone talk as bad as the examples they tend to provide on the GDB.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 01, 2014, 04:10:21 PM
As long as I've been playing the game I've never seen someone talk as bad as the examples they tend to provide on the GDB.

I  will admit, in the few hours I have had to actually play, I over heard two characters one time... and another character wandered a bit in the territory, but it wasn't -has- bad, but there was a few phrases/words that gave me pause, mouthing/saying them out loud helped, although it caused my wife to kind give me a weird look (although that is normal... I do play MUDs after all).

At this rate I think we are having fun with it in the thread.  I highly doubt any person with reasonable sanity could maintain it for extended periods of time... Their apostrophe key would demolished.

Main reason I brought it up, I was wondering if the player base had a unwritten or defacto convention or style for it that I hadn't seemly caught on to.

So far I've noticed dropping the "g" is popular, and makes clear sense.  words like "something" become "sum'tin"  for example, aren't so bad.  Mainly its for my own role play. I don't want to be the only commoner running around with perfect speech and pronunciation.  I know its no crime to be a newbie or new, or unfamiliar, but I also don't want to interrupt the play or be too out of place that it is jarring to other players. 

From memories long past, and to the ones I'm experiencing now. This perhaps the most engaging game I ever played/play, I just want to join in the fun, and get a hang of the world, the culture, and the setting.

Coded stuff, and procedures on how to do certain actions are easy.  Talking to other players, role playing correctly, and being actually a part of the world in a meaningful way, takes not only time, but a tad bit of study and dedication.
"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority."
"Sir?"
"That's practically zen."
― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

I try to come up with a different manner of speaking for each character, it's difficult, and sometimes I have to go to extremes. I'm not sure there's anything set in stone, I'm likely doing it wrong, but I just take some shit I've read IG and cram it together with other shit and run with it. I don't know, it's just an odd habit of mine, I don't want any character t feel too much like the last one. Emotes, however, can be habitual and bleed over, those I find more difficult to change.

If there is a guide for speech patterns and such, I would be most interested to see it, so maybe I don't look like such a honking dumbarse when I start typing.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Some people use accents with commas, some people don't. It's entirely up to you and there isn't any standard.

Definitely not an indicator of being a noob.

QuoteI don't want to be the only commoner running around with perfect speech and pronunciation.

I haven't altered my written accent much because I'd still find it awkward. I try to watch my vocabulary and speech style eg for a Rinthi kid, I'd stare hard at my screen before I used a three syllable word, and I'd try to keep my  grammar sloppy.
I have to say, for long life characters, this tends to bleed over into RL at times.   :(

Yeah, when you're playing a character that might have a written accent, like a Rinthi, it's far more important that you act like a dirty alley rat than use apostrophes.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

I've said local dialect stuff that got other people's attention without my noticing it.

I always hear rinthis as sounding like down-on-their-luck 18th century british folk for some reason. Orphans, beggars and whatnot from that period.

Quote from: long live miley cyrus on February 02, 2014, 03:23:41 PM
I've said local dialect stuff that got other people's attention without my noticing it.

I always hear rinthis as sounding like down-on-their-luck 18th century british folk for some reason. Orphans, beggars and whatnot from that period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPGRUrvuNGk

RIP Jack Wild
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"