New Additions to the Character Generation process!

Started by Nathvaan, January 13, 2014, 10:23:19 AM

Quote from: LauraMars on January 16, 2014, 09:57:15 PM
So with this in mind, should characters who choose a different origin than their starting city generally make backgrounds that state "has recently arrived" rather than "has lived here for years"?

I still think this option is going to just make things more confusing than ever, for new players. Case in point: typical situation -

New player shows up, knows nothing about the city he's in OR the city he's from. His character background: "I just showed up to Tuluk, but I've lived in Allanak my whole life."

He gets hired by Kadius. Two RL days later - Kadius decides it's time for a trip to Allanak.

The "character who lived his whole life in Allanak, and just moved to Tuluk" is now in Allanak and doesn't know diddly about the place he lived his whole life. So much for using that as an excuse to not know anything about Tuluk.

This happens often - among new players and not new. You get hired by a GMH, and move to the other city for a visit, or get assigned there when your city's sergeant gets killed..or whatever other reason. But now, it's coded that you really ARE from that city. Except you live in the OTHER city. Except now you're back in the city you're from. But if you're new, you don't know anything about it - which is typical - except now it's coded that you're from here, and not there, but you live there, except now you're here.

I don't know what else you can do to make it MORE confusing than that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The situation in the above post may happen, but it's vastly outweighed by the cool scenarios made possible by the option, so it's moot.
This is magnificent, and it's true! It never happened, yet it is still true! What magic art is this?
Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadowtruths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. Sandman

Quote from: Lizzie on January 16, 2014, 10:18:50 PM
So with this in mind, should characters who choose a different origin than their starting city generally make backgrounds that state "has recently arrived" rather than "has lived here for years"?

I still think this option is going to just make things more confusing than ever, for new players. Case in point: typical situation -

New player shows up, knows nothing about the city he's in OR the city he's from. His character background: "I just showed up to Tuluk, but I've lived in Allanak my whole life."

He gets hired by Kadius. Two RL days later - Kadius decides it's time for a trip to Allanak.

The "character who lived his whole life in Allanak, and just moved to Tuluk" is now in Allanak and doesn't know diddly about the place he lived his whole life. So much for using that as an excuse to not know anything about Tuluk.

This happens often - among new players and not new. You get hired by a GMH, and move to the other city for a visit, or get assigned there when your city's sergeant gets killed..or whatever other reason. But now, it's coded that you really ARE from that city. Except you live in the OTHER city. Except now you're back in the city you're from. But if you're new, you don't know anything about it - which is typical - except now it's coded that you're from here, and not there, but you live there, except now you're here.

I don't know what else you can do to make it MORE confusing than that.

It's moot, because staff JUST said the new directions command will work for their original city.

Quote from: Nathvaan on January 16, 2014, 08:37:20 PM
You know your way around the city you are from (origin), not the city you start in.  So directions will work based on where your character was born and raised, not where you choose to start your epic tale!

I really don't think it's as bad for new players as you seem to think it is. Give them a little credit.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I sense a lot of short-lived Allanaki's starting in Tuluk as a swathe of players play southerners in the Ivory, and... then one day, vanish.

I am in love with the tribal schtick, though, that opens up huuuuuge options.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

It is up to you when creating your character concept as to when you want to start your story in your character's life.  Maybe you just arrived or maybe you have been there a while and never spent enough time around the locals to learn their ways?   It's true you won't speak like the locals and may (or may not) know your way around (directions command), but that story is up to you!

This is, in no way, meant to dictate the storyline of your character but rather to give you some tools to make more interesting and varied characters!  :)

Quote from: QuillDipper on January 16, 2014, 06:50:19 PM
Actually, how does the directions command interact with this? Do you get directions for your origin or your starting location?

Directions only work in your origin.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff