New Additions to the Character Generation process!

Started by Nathvaan, January 13, 2014, 10:23:19 AM

January 13, 2014, 10:23:19 AM Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:03:50 AM by Nathvaan
As of this morning, we have implemented a new section of the character generation process described below.  In short this means you will be able to indicate where your character is from and choose a different starting location.  Tuluki tattoo locations are now part of the character generation process instead of a bolt on after you point to Tuluk.

There are also a few other changes, including the ability for human tribal clans (Arabet and Al'Seik) to be able to point at the Hall of Kings, no longer needing very special staff attention to get setup.

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss and let me know of any issues that anyone finds.  Enjoy!

UPDATE TO ADD:
You can now choose 'A nomadic location' as your origin location.  This means you aren't from any city and you could expect accents to reflect that case.

Origin
You will now be asked to provide an origin for your character.  The origin of your character is where they were born or where they grew up.  This is not necessarily where you actually start playing the character; that detail will be chosen after you enter the game for the first time.  The location your character is from will determine your accent.  In some cases, this will determine your citizenship.  Be aware that there may be in-character consequences for being from one location and starting in another, as relations between different locations in game change from time to time.  (For example, Tuluki characters may not be very welcome in Allanak and vice versa.)  Should you choose a character from Tuluk, you must also select where to put your citizenship tattoo in order to proceed to the next step.

For your first character, we highly recommend that you choose to play a character from Tuluk in Tuluk, or a character from Allanak in Allanak.  You are much more likely to encounter other players in these locations.
http://www.armageddon.org/intro/chargen.php

Quote from: Desertman on January 13, 2014, 10:26:23 AM
I like it.

Thanks for the addition.

Me too!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Brilliant!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I love the idea for people who have at least a passing understanding of the game world. For sparkly brand new players though, I think it might be more prudent to not have this option until after their first character.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 13, 2014, 10:44:03 AM
I love the idea for people who have at least a passing understanding of the game world. For sparkly brand new players though, I think it might be more prudent to not have this option until after their first character.

Can you elaborate (both on why you feel this is the case and on what you feel the alternative should be for first-time characters)?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

This has been an idea bouncing around on the GDB for a while - I'm glad to see it was put in.

I think as long as that recommendation about picking a Tuluki in Tuluk or an Allanaki in Allanak shows up in the character generation process then it should be fine. I'm not so much more worried about new players ignoring that recommendation as I am about other hang-ups newbies might encounter in the old system, like getting the six-pronged star stamped on their left ankle or forgetting to get one entirely, that could make things more difficult for them in Tuluk. (There isn't really an equivalent to this problem in Allanak.)

What I am curious about is if it is possible to pick a tribal origin, or if players should still be picking the Nomad subguild for that.

Thanks for putting this in!

As an example, here's what you'd get if you were picking an Allanaki:

The origin of your character is where they were born or where they grew up. This
is not necessarily where you actually start playing the character, that will be
chosen after you enter the game for the first time.  The location your character
is from will determine their accent and in some cases it will determine citizenship.

Pick your character's origin.
a) Allanak.
b) Tuluk.
c) Luir's Outpost.
d) Red Storm Village.
e) The Labyrinth.
f) A nomadic location.

What is your character's origin location?
a
Origin set to Allanak.

On the lines below you must enter your character's background. This
will provide the staff with insight into your character's motivations
and actions.  If your background is too long to fit into the standard
length, please provide a thumbnail version and add a new one once the
character is approved.

Here's what you'd get if you wanted to roll up a Tuluki:

QuoteThe origin of your character is where they were born or where they grew up. This
chosen after you enter the game for the first time.  The location your character
is from will determine their accent and in some cases it will determine citizenship.

a) Allanak.
b) Tuluk.
c) Luir's Outpost.
d) Red Storm Village.
e) The Labyrinth.
f) A nomadic location.

b
Origin set to Tuluk.

As a character from Tuluk, you would have been marked with your Tuluki
tattoos at a young age.  Follow the link below to see more detail on the
Tuluki caste tattoos.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Tuluki%20Caste%20Tattoos

You can get your Gol Krathu citizen tattoo on your choice of:
a) Your neck.
b) Your throat.
c) Your face.
d) Your right shoulder.
e) Your left shoulder.

Where is your Gol Krathu tattoo?
a

character is approved.

Possibilities now available that were more difficult for players to arrange on their own:

PC is from Allanak and starts in Tuluk.  (has southern accent, no tattoos, and won't get tattoos; instant conflict if desired)
PC is from Tuluk and starts in Allanak.  (has northern accent, tattoos; instant conflict if desired)
PC has tribal origin and starts in a non-tribal location if desired (has tribal accent, bendune; able to be a tribal without using nomad subguild if that is not appropriate to the concept)

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Cutthroat on January 13, 2014, 11:00:03 AM
What I am curious about is if it is possible to pick a tribal origin, or if players should still be picking the Nomad subguild for that.

Yeah, we were so stoked about the rest of what this change meant that we forgot to make it a point to mention that...Nathvaan is updating that post now.

Woohoo.....too bad this did not go in ages ago...Ah well, fits with my next PC concept.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Awesome addition, particularly the tribal part.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

January 13, 2014, 11:51:01 AM #12 Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:05:10 PM by Lizzie
Quote from: Nyr on January 13, 2014, 10:48:20 AM

Can you elaborate (both on why you feel this is the case and on what you feel the alternative should be for first-time characters)?

I feel that the learning curve is already steep enough, when you limit new players to "being from their starting location." I feel that eliminating that limit, steepens the learning curve further and creates OOC stress on both the new player, and on the more seasoned players who now have to work even harder to help the new player understand that yes, we're really serious about the Tuluk ink on your face having a significant impact on why our characters are treating your character like shit. Or why your NOT having an ink showing that you're a Tuluk citizen is having a significant impact on why our characters are excluding you from our fun, and not letting you get past points A, B, and C in Tuluk even though you live here (unless that's already been codedly addressed?).

I feel the alternative should simply not provide the option to pick your location of origin. Let new players be "from" the place they gen in. Tulukis born in Tuluk and genning in Tuluk with the appropriate inks, Nakkis born and genned in Nak, etc. etc. Same as it was for all of us before the change.

A lot of new players I've noticed, will jump into the game, some of them with preconceived expectations based on their experiences in other games, or based on information given to them by (probably Ex-) players. As such, they show up already rping in a world that isn't really what they thought it was, or what they were told it is. It just makes it that much harder for them to adapt to the learning curve, and it makes it that much harder for the rest of us to help that new player adapt.

That's my only objection, but I feel it's an important one.

Edited to add further suggestion: another alternate "new player" idea - instead of letting them pick a location of origin after their first character - make it so that after they've had a minimum of 2 hours played total - no matter how many characters that takes - they can then pick a place of origin on their next character. So if they have a character and only play it 5 minutes - they still can't pick a location of origin on their next character. But if they have three characters - one with only 5 minutes on it, one with an hour, and the very next one with an hour - well that's over 2 hours total, and their NEXT character can have a location of origin that's different from their gen location.

Help file on "accent" needs to be changed, currently says you can't start out with an accent from a place you didn't gen in, without special apping the role.

I see your point.  Unfortunately it would require more coding to do this; we have only now gotten to the point where we have the feature available, period.  If we are going to make assumptions for new players and their first character and assume that they just can't handle figuring out that you can be from somewhere and start somewhere else with IC effects on that, we have other assumptions we'd want to review making at the same time based on data (restriction of first PC to starting in Allanak or Tuluk, possibility of generic pre-generated PCs, etc).

Quote from: Lizzie on January 13, 2014, 11:58:56 AM
Help file on "accent" needs to be changed, currently says you can't start out with an accent from a place you didn't gen in, without special apping the role.

Actually looks to be correct as you still cannot choose to be from Allanak, start in Tuluk, and start with a northern accent.  However, it might need to be reworded regardless.

Nice. It's sort of been a tiny want of mine. Current hate offsets free trip.

I have always wanted exactly this.

Always.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know you did it just for me

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I love this change and have been wanting it for years. Awesome. Thanks.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: solera on January 13, 2014, 12:48:55 PM
I hope there are gloves in the starter shops.  ;)

The game would be a lot funnier if Tuluki tattoos were required to be placed on your buttcheek.

Also, great change, thanks!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Kudos for the hard work.
Death is only the beginning...

I have wanted something like this for years!
My favorite addition to the game in a VERY long time.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 13, 2014, 07:14:52 PM
I have wanted something like this for years!
My favorite addition to the game in a VERY long time.

It's good, yes, but I don't think they're ever going to beat Quit OOC

Automated Extended subguilds/skill bumps into character generation will be the greatest code implementation ever.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 14, 2014, 12:52:57 AM
Automated Extended subguilds/skill bumps into character generation will be the greatest code implementation ever.

+1
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on January 14, 2014, 01:01:16 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 14, 2014, 12:52:57 AM

+1

+1

Also, I am happy to see the new change as well. Thank you staff!

Do we still need to put in a role app for tribal characters, then? Or has that already been answered?

Siek/Arabet Tribals.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

That's pretty damned cool.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Those are very specific tribal clans, and like any very specific tribal clan, yes you still need to send in a request to make sure that the tribe isn't full of space - otherwise you're going to face some heartbreak when Staff tell you that your character is outside of its bounds.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

This is a great feature, thanks guys!

Some day I'll play a character from Luir's who wakes up from a spice-filled haze naked in Red Storm, with no idea how she got there. Or a Tuluki runaway in the labyrinth.

How does this affect gemmed characters? If I select my origin as Allanak, can I still get myself a gem, even if I want to start elsewhere?

Quote from: ale six on January 14, 2014, 11:31:00 AM
How does this affect gemmed characters? If I select my origin as Allanak, can I still get myself a gem, even if I want to start elsewhere?

Nope, this would not work with the automated system.  This is because you get access to putting on the gem as you point to Allanak to go to the starting area, not based on the character's Origin location.

Omg! This means we can use the Allanaki starter rooms as a rinthi character. >.> Schweet. Am I right in this assumption that this would be an okay means to use this new addition?
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: Nyr on January 13, 2014, 11:02:18 AM

The origin of your character is where they were born or where they grew up. This

a) Allanak.
b) Tuluk.
c) Luir's Outpost.
d) Red Storm Village.
e) The Labyrinth.
f) A nomadic location.

a
Origin set to Allanak.

character is approved.

QuoteThe origin of your character is where they were born or where they grew up. This

a) Allanak.
b) Tuluk.
c) Luir's Outpost.
d) Red Storm Village.
e) The Labyrinth.
f) A nomadic location.

b
Origin set to Tuluk.

Tuluki caste tattoos.

a) Your neck.
b) Your throat.
c) Your face.
d) Your right shoulder.
e) Your left shoulder.

a

character is approved.

Possibilities now available that were more difficult for players to arrange on their own:

PC is from Allanak and starts in Tuluk.  (has southern accent, no tattoos, and won't get tattoos; instant conflict if desired)
PC is from Tuluk and starts in Allanak.  (has northern accent, tattoos; instant conflict if desired)
PC has tribal origin and starts in a non-tribal location if desired (has tribal accent, bendune; able to be a tribal without using nomad subguild if that is not appropriate to the concept)

In regards to the specific tattoo locations, will this effect Tuluki born citizens to not be able to pass the tattoo checkpoints? As the code stands right now, I know for a fact if the tattoo's are anywhere but on the right location, the guards won't let you through the east or both south gates, as well as other various places within the Ivory.

Quote from: Chronicle on January 14, 2014, 01:38:30 PM

a) Allanak.
b) Tuluk.
c) Luir's Outpost.
d) Red Storm Village.
e) The Labyrinth.
f) A nomadic location.

a
Origin set to Allanak.

character is approved.

a) Allanak.
b) Tuluk.
c) Luir's Outpost.
d) Red Storm Village.
e) The Labyrinth.
f) A nomadic location.

b
Origin set to Tuluk.

Tuluki caste tattoos.

a) Your neck.
b) Your throat.
c) Your face.
d) Your right shoulder.
e) Your left shoulder.

a

character is approved.

In regards to the specific tattoo locations, will this effect Tuluki born citizens to not be able to pass the tattoo checkpoints? As the code stands right now, I know for a fact if the tattoo's are anywhere but on the right location, the guards won't let you through the east or both south gates, as well as other various places within the Ivory.

And the opposite is a concern - especially to new players. Maybe an additional line to both the chargen option description, AND to the help file:

Warning: If your character was born in Allanak, and you choose Tuluk as your starting location, your character will have only limited access to the city of Tuluk.

Or something to that effect.

Quote from: Chronicle on January 14, 2014, 01:38:30 PM

The locations you're allowed to put your citizenship band are the locations that the tattoo checker checks.

Quote from: titansfan on January 14, 2014, 12:09:09 PM
Omg! This means we can use the Allanaki starter rooms as a rinthi character. >.> Schweet. Am I right in this assumption that this would be an okay means to use this new addition?

Yes, you are right in that assumption.  If we see any reason that it needs to be changed in the future it will be announced!

Very well updated Staff. Thank you for these additions. Especially the tribal origin -not needing nomad sub-. All brilliant and all game enhancing.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Thanks staff.  We've been wanting this for years!

As great of an option as I think "A nomadic location" is, to flesh out your nomadic tribal characters persona without having to pick Nomad as a subguild... I think "A nomadic location" would also be a sweet addition to the pointable starting locations on the board in the Kings Hall.  It could randomly generate you into any room in the game that isn't within a city or town! (or the silt sea) With the addition of the pre-game shops you might even have a fighting chance of getting yourself somewhere safe; think of it as hardcore mode for all diehards! ;)

Aside from that crazy idea, thank you for this new fantastic blessing!  Ginka smiles upon us once again!
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Wow, that really makes two character ideas I've had floating about in my head possible now! Thanks!
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

This is super awesome. =D

If you choose the nomad location without taking the subguild though, it changes the accent to reflect it, but does it also change your language skills as well to reflect that you grew up as such? Or should one expect to be a nomad incapable of speaking their native tongue?

Quote from: Hicksville Hoochie on January 16, 2014, 03:51:51 AM

If you choose the nomad location without taking the subguild though, it changes the accent to reflect it, but does it also change your language skills as well to reflect that you grew up as such? Or should one expect to be a nomad incapable of speaking their native tongue?

In the real world different tribes speak different languages. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say the native tongue of a few of the tribes is a dialect of sirihish (dialect change being representing by accent)

Quote from: Narf on January 16, 2014, 03:57:53 AM

In the real world different tribes speak different languages. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say the native tongue of a few of the tribes is a dialect of sirihish (dialect change being representing by accent)

Completely agree! Still hoping to know in the case of creating future PCs and knowing whether or not I'd need the subguild if I intend for my character to have the language.

Quote from: Narf on January 16, 2014, 03:57:53 AM

Just gonna quote something Nyr said.

Hmmmm, leaves one to wonder whether they will start with sirihish or not.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on January 16, 2014, 08:24:01 AM
Hmmmm, leaves one to wonder whether they will start with sirihish or not.

Your origin adds an accent and any appropriate starting skills.  It does not remove anything.

Quote from: titansfan on January 14, 2014, 12:09:09 PM

This right here makes me super happy. I think there's more gross common peasant clothing available in the Naki starter shops than there is in the Rinth.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Actually, how does the directions command interact with this? Do you get directions for your origin or your starting location?
Part-Time Internets Lady

Quote from: QuillDipper on January 16, 2014, 06:50:19 PM
Actually, how does the directions command interact with this? Do you get directions for your origin or your starting location?

Great question!  You know your way around the city you are from (origin), not the city you start in.  So directions will work based on where your character was born and raised, not where you choose to start your epic tale!

So with this in mind, should characters who choose a different origin than their starting city generally make backgrounds that state "has recently arrived" rather than "has lived here for years"?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on January 16, 2014, 09:57:15 PM
So with this in mind, should characters who choose a different origin than their starting city generally make backgrounds that state "has recently arrived" rather than "has lived here for years"?

I still think this option is going to just make things more confusing than ever, for new players. Case in point: typical situation -

New player shows up, knows nothing about the city he's in OR the city he's from. His character background: "I just showed up to Tuluk, but I've lived in Allanak my whole life."

He gets hired by Kadius. Two RL days later - Kadius decides it's time for a trip to Allanak.

The "character who lived his whole life in Allanak, and just moved to Tuluk" is now in Allanak and doesn't know diddly about the place he lived his whole life. So much for using that as an excuse to not know anything about Tuluk.

This happens often - among new players and not new. You get hired by a GMH, and move to the other city for a visit, or get assigned there when your city's sergeant gets killed..or whatever other reason. But now, it's coded that you really ARE from that city. Except you live in the OTHER city. Except now you're back in the city you're from. But if you're new, you don't know anything about it - which is typical - except now it's coded that you're from here, and not there, but you live there, except now you're here.

I don't know what else you can do to make it MORE confusing than that.

The situation in the above post may happen, but it's vastly outweighed by the cool scenarios made possible by the option, so it's moot.
This is magnificent, and it's true! It never happened, yet it is still true! What magic art is this?
Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadowtruths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. Sandman

Quote from: Lizzie on January 16, 2014, 10:18:50 PM

I still think this option is going to just make things more confusing than ever, for new players. Case in point: typical situation -

New player shows up, knows nothing about the city he's in OR the city he's from. His character background: "I just showed up to Tuluk, but I've lived in Allanak my whole life."

He gets hired by Kadius. Two RL days later - Kadius decides it's time for a trip to Allanak.

The "character who lived his whole life in Allanak, and just moved to Tuluk" is now in Allanak and doesn't know diddly about the place he lived his whole life. So much for using that as an excuse to not know anything about Tuluk.

This happens often - among new players and not new. You get hired by a GMH, and move to the other city for a visit, or get assigned there when your city's sergeant gets killed..or whatever other reason. But now, it's coded that you really ARE from that city. Except you live in the OTHER city. Except now you're back in the city you're from. But if you're new, you don't know anything about it - which is typical - except now it's coded that you're from here, and not there, but you live there, except now you're here.

I don't know what else you can do to make it MORE confusing than that.

It's moot, because staff JUST said the new directions command will work for their original city.

Quote from: Nathvaan on January 16, 2014, 08:37:20 PM
You know your way around the city you are from (origin), not the city you start in.  So directions will work based on where your character was born and raised, not where you choose to start your epic tale!

I really don't think it's as bad for new players as you seem to think it is. Give them a little credit.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I sense a lot of short-lived Allanaki's starting in Tuluk as a swathe of players play southerners in the Ivory, and... then one day, vanish.

I am in love with the tribal schtick, though, that opens up huuuuuge options.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

It is up to you when creating your character concept as to when you want to start your story in your character's life.  Maybe you just arrived or maybe you have been there a while and never spent enough time around the locals to learn their ways?   It's true you won't speak like the locals and may (or may not) know your way around (directions command), but that story is up to you!

This is, in no way, meant to dictate the storyline of your character but rather to give you some tools to make more interesting and varied characters!  :)

Quote from: QuillDipper on January 16, 2014, 06:50:19 PM

Directions only work in your origin.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff