Resizing armor/clothes to half-giant size

Started by Eyeball, January 09, 2014, 05:00:59 PM

Half-giants are much, much larger than other PC-playable humanoids. It's not just a matter of being twice as tall but also of having ten times the bulk.

In my opinion, taking a half-giant sized chitin breatplate to the tailor to have it resized for a man, or especially taking a man-sized chitin breastplate to a tailor and having it resized for a half-giant, doesn't make sense.

It's basically making an entirely new piece of armor, and in the later case, you're not even supplying the tailor with enough material.

I suggest that half-giant sized items and regular-sized items should not be interconvertible.

Quote from: Eyeball on January 09, 2014, 05:00:59 PM
Half-giants are much, much larger than other PC-playable humanoids. It's not just a matter of being twice as tall but also of having ten times the bulk.

In my opinion, taking a half-giant sized chitin breatplate to the tailor to have it resized for a man, or especially taking a man-sized chitin breastplate to a tailor and having it resized for a half-giant, doesn't make sense.

It's basically making an entirely new piece of armor, and in the later case, you're not even supplying the tailor with enough material.

I suggest that half-giant sized items and regular-sized items should not be interconvertible.

Unfortunately, at this point the code doesn't allow you to make half-giant sized gear which means that half-giants would all be naked until they killed other half-giants for their cloths. This would lead to a highlander style scenario as all the half-giants of the world gradually widdled each other away for the scarce clothing left in a world without appropriate tailoring.

Only the nudists would be safe.

It costs a -lot- to get armor resized to half-giant size.  I think this reflects the situation well enough while maintaining playability.

Quote from: Refugee on January 09, 2014, 06:03:30 PM
It costs a -lot- to get armor resized to half-giant size.  I think this reflects the situation well enough while maintaining playability.

True.

But Narf's answer is way funner.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Most giants I've ever seen in fantasy don't usually wear armor for this very reason. However playability > realism.