Feedback sought: Brief Prompt

Started by Morgenes, November 21, 2013, 10:28:40 AM

I'm using this quite regularly in wilderness areas to help with movement spam and can tell already that I'm going to use this a ton when playing a merchant or sneaky type.

Again though that > is annoying me. Stupid client wont get rid of it.

I'll pull it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Tried it for awhile and while interesting, don't think I'll use it.
I like knowing the day and time, encumbrance and such at a glance.

I'm really thankful for the many options of the prompt command, though, thank you!

I don't know if I'm a typical user though - I have a 5 line prompt which uses client-side triggers to sculpt many status messages into more friendly phrases, sometimes abstracting encumbrance levels (using unencumbered, encumbered, over-encumbered and "DROP SOMETHING PLEASE" for example), bolding and capping words like UNARMED or SNEAKING (as well as changing colors) so I know when I've been disarmed in combat (with a combat character) or if I'm still sneaking (with sneaky types).

But - it's a nice option, the brief prompt. 

Yeh, I think it's an awesome option, Morg. I don't know that it will be used a lot, but the option for it is awesome. Thanks.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

What Venomz said. Thanks for your time.

November 29, 2013, 12:46:55 AM #30 Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:48:45 AM by LauraMars
I have been using brief prompt as I said I would, and here is my feedback.  Even as a sighted player, I have a lot of use for brief prompt and would encourage people to give it a try.  The complete lack of prompt (i.e. using an infobar), is something that I have not been able to get used to using.  I dislike that I have absolutely no history about what has gone on with my character.  Sometimes, being able to scroll back up the screen and note that Sergeant Talia took off 50 stun with that unspeakable bludgeon to the neck during sparring can be important, but using infobar leaves no trace of what has happened with your character - all infobar tells you is what is currently going on with your character. Having a prompt is nice for analyzing death logs as well (if you're into that sort of thing - which I am).  When using infobar, it has been tricky to train my eyes to glance at the bottom of the screen during high stress situations (this indirectly led to a death in one case.)  So basically - infobar doesn't work for me, though I absolutely love how it cuts down on screen clutter.

Having a prompt on EVERY line is often just annoying, unneeded screen spam, especially for a more social role - not to mention it clutters my logs up unnecessarily!  Being able to have the prompt appear conditionally is useful, and it's a good compromise between the spam-reducing infobar and the ubiquitous, non-brief prompt.  When I see my prompt, I know something has changed, so it's time to pay attention!

To sum things up, I like brief prompt a lot and am pleased with this addition - I think it is a great tool for sighted and visually impaired people alike.  Thanks, Morgenes!

edit: Oh, and to those who like to see what's going on at a glance (like DustMight), you can always type "prompt" by itself to display your prompt.  The mud auto-accepts the abbreviation "pro" - but I aliased it to "pr" because I can type that more quickly.  This might not be what you want to do, but just in case you didn't know - that's an option.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I've recently tried this out, and it is awesome.

I do agree with the suggestion about letting someone configure their 'brief' prompt not to return anything.  The ">" keeps psyching me out, especially since it's normally at the END of my regular prompt, but I'm not sure this suggestion is critical.

However, I do find this aspect more annoying: if you type "prompt" to display your prompt, but something in the prompt has changed, it returns your prompt twice.  It would be nice if it would recognize when typing "prompt" will cause the prompt double up, and only display the prompt once.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on November 30, 2013, 12:45:17 PM
I've recently tried this out, and it is awesome.

I do agree with the suggestion about letting someone configure their 'brief' prompt not to return anything.  The ">" keeps psyching me out, especially since it's normally at the END of my regular prompt, but I'm not sure this suggestion is critical.

However, I do find this aspect more annoying: if you type "prompt" to display your prompt, but something in the prompt has changed, it returns your prompt twice.  It would be nice if it would recognize when typing "prompt" will cause the prompt double up, and only display the prompt once.
I've removed the '>' for no prompt already, next reboot should fix that for everyone.

I hadn't thought of the last bit, thanks for catching that.  I should have it fixed so you don't get a double prompt.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Awesome  ;D
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Mm. Not having that > there is such sweet, sweet emptiness. Love how that looks, actually.

I can even have fun spacing out my logs now. If someone says something important, I can scroll a few blank lines for emphasis later... this is cool. Thanks again morg.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2