Did I ever tell you how I got these scars?

Started by Jherlen, October 30, 2013, 12:23:31 PM

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 03, 2013, 04:33:14 PM
But treating every person at 50% hp like they're half dead doesn't make any sense, if you got there by a whole bunch of nicks and light hits.

This is why you should defer to the roleplay involved when determining how dead/injured your character actually is.

Oh, well then yes, I agree. 50% hp from sparring nicks is different than 50% hp from one hit. But the point of this idea was only about the single hard hits anyway.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: Jherlen on November 03, 2013, 04:40:53 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 03, 2013, 04:33:14 PM
But treating every person at 50% hp like they're half dead doesn't make any sense, if you got there by a whole bunch of nicks and light hits.

This is why you should defer to the roleplay involved when determining how dead/injured your character actually is.

Oh, well then yes, I agree. 50% hp from sparring nicks is different than 50% hp from one hit. But the point of this idea was only about the single hard hits anyway.

Yeah I'm sort of doing a wandering-derail thing today. Not paying enough attention and need more coffee.

Quote from: 26 dollars on November 03, 2013, 02:03:33 PM
I've knocked a guy out with a padded sword.  It was PVC pipe covered with 1" thick foam padding, and wrapped with duct tape.  I'm probably "above average" strength in real life, only on the merit that I "work for a living."  I am not imposing or dangerous in a physical sense.  I gave this poor guy a concussion with a padded sword.  With intent, I could've killed him with it.

There's you some equivalent realism.  Training weapons being padded for training doesn't mean they're made of cotton candy.

What's the ratio of knockouts to normal sparring you have? 1:2, 1:3? Or is this a single occurence that happened just once or twice?

Because in Arm it happens all the freakin' time. Having a sparring injury every couple weeks is fine, but if you have one every two matches because the the code just happens to have that frequency of critical hits, it would get deeply obnoxious.

I wrestled for seven years, and played football for six. During those times I had a net total of 1 serious injury (from football). When I spar in Arm my character usually takes a "wound" every other match. To me it's not that people don't get injured in sparring matches, it's that the code doesn't distinguish much between sparring where you're not trying to even injure your opponent and out and out combat where you are trying to kill them which means you'd get injured some ridiculous amount if you based it on the coded responses.

November 03, 2013, 06:28:04 PM #28 Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:30:13 PM by 26 dollars
Quote from: Narf on November 03, 2013, 05:17:17 PM
What's the ratio of knockouts to normal sparring you have? 1:2, 1:3? Or is this a single occurence that happened just once or twice?

I will admit, that was an accident.  He walked into it.  Shit happens, though.  You say you only had one serious injury playing football, but then Bob Sanders could only play football in odd numbered years, and Brett Favre played every game for almost 20 years.  Different strokes for different folks.

As for combat on Arm, it's one of those realism vs. playability arguments.  I can understand not wanting to play off every "wound" as a real wound.  But if you take 30+ hit points damage a spar, you could reasonably expect that two more of those will put you down for good.  That hurt, and people shouldn't be shrugging those off because the weapon was padded with cloth.

If it was more than 50% damage to your health, I think a scar should be added, one that can be removed by vivaduan healing, and doesn't cover existing tattoos.  If that's possible with the code, I think we should do it.
"Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what [people] fear most."  --  Raskolnikov, Crime and Punishment

November 03, 2013, 06:46:25 PM #29 Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:49:16 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: 26 dollars on November 03, 2013, 06:28:04 PM
Quote from: Narf on November 03, 2013, 05:17:17 PM

I will admit, that was an accident.  He walked into it.  Shit happens, though.  You say you only had one serious injury playing football, but then Bob Sanders could only play football in odd numbered years, and Brett Favre played every game for almost 20 years.  Different strokes for different folks.

As for combat on Arm, it's one of those realism vs. playability arguments.  I can understand not wanting to play off every "wound" as a real wound.  But if you take 30+ hit points damage a spar, you could reasonably expect that two more of those will put you down for good.  That hurt, and people shouldn't be shrugging those off because the weapon was padded with cloth.

I'm not sure if you have ever played in a combat clan. But 20-25 dmg hits are actually really fucking common. Like once every other spar, common, if you're sparring with someone with high strength and more skill than you. 30+ is rarer for a human to accomplish, but it can still happen frequently enough that you would spend most your roleplay emoting how injured and useless you are for the next IC week. It would be ludicrous.

re:  30+ damage from a single hit ...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grievous

"1:  causing or characterized by severe pain, suffering, or sorrow <a grievous wound> <a grievous loss>"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grave

"c :  likely to produce great harm or danger <a grave mistake>"

I don't know, there, sir.  Maybe enforcing the wounds by scars is a great idea.  It would certainly cut back on those situations described where two people who are far apart in skill are hamming it up with the code.

On a lighter note, Zalanthas, as imagined by RogueGunSlinger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4
"Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what [people] fear most."  --  Raskolnikov, Crime and Punishment

Quote from: 26 dollars on November 03, 2013, 08:19:38 PM
re:  30+ damage from a single hit ...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grievous

"1:  causing or characterized by severe pain, suffering, or sorrow <a grievous wound> <a grievous loss>"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grave

"c :  likely to produce great harm or danger <a grave mistake>"

I don't know, there, sir.  Maybe enforcing the wounds by scars is a great idea.  It would certainly cut back on those situations described where two people who are far apart in skill are hamming it up with the code.

On a lighter note, Zalanthas, as imagined by RogueGunSlinger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

Or it would make it worse because those same guys who aren't always hamming it up and only do it every now and then are suddenly FORCED to deal with the injuries in roleplay regardless of how it affects their training/playability of their character.

Essentially, it would put people who occasionally RP their injuries into a situation where they RP every spar, every time, as having a terrifying number of broken bones and blood gushing and scars. From -padded weapons-.

You don't get SCARRED by a padded weapon.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I guess nobody gets injured in your spars ...  but for what it's worth, I played a 2-year, 100-day warrior who was second tier command in a militia clan, very high in skill, exceptional strength and agility, and I routinely sparred 3-5 people at the same time, and didn't let anyone get below "does not look too well."  Grievous wounds (30+ damage) in a spar was rare.  I handed out unspeakables in the field on the daily, routinely, but maybe only ever twice in sparring.  I suspect, padded for her pleasure or not, that those weapons left a neat little scar.

On the other hand, if you're a human and sparring demi-humans with absurd strength values, it's your own fault for being routinely wounded.  You're hamming it up.

Quote from: 26 dollars on November 05, 2013, 07:05:08 PM
I guess nobody gets injured in your spars ...  but for what it's worth, I played a 2-year, 100-day warrior who was second tier command in a militia clan, very high in skill, exceptional strength and agility, and I routinely sparred 3-5 people at the same time, and didn't let anyone get below "does not look too well."  Grievous wounds (30+ damage) in a spar was rare.  I handed out unspeakables in the field on the daily, routinely, but maybe only ever twice in sparring.  I suspect, padded for her pleasure or not, that those weapons left a neat little scar.

On the other hand, if you're a human and sparring demi-humans with absurd strength values, it's your own fault for being routinely wounded.  You're hamming it up.

So we're attacking me for hamming it up?

How about instead of beginning an offensive against somebody who's played characters with just as great a strength score as yours, you probably understand that they probably routinely do the 20-30 hp hits -fairly regularly- in spars, with sparring gear?

Your argument is kind of void, in that sense. I've been on both ends of that receiving and delivering, and it was mostly humans who were delivering those massive attacks. If you were routinely sparring 3-5 people at a time and nobody got below "does not look well" is irrelevant. We're talking about the singular force associated with a blow, not the combination of multiple blows. Even if I crack somebody upside the head with a club in a spar and do 30+ hp of damage, it was a sparring weapon, it's padded, the chance of delivering a scarring blow is extremely unlikely.

If you're a human sparring demi-humans with absurd strength values, it's not always your fault, either. There are situations where you might not even have the chance to spar against anything -but- a demi-human, in which case you're kind of left with the only option on the table:  spar the stump. Get hut.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Not you, the ambiguous "your".  In my experience, "grievous" wounds are rare in sparring.  It's been awhile, and I could slog through two years of logs, but to be honest, I don't care that much.

I changed my mind.  Roleplay a snowflake, I gives a fuck.

I'm sorry for this derail. I think the idea of scarring on grievous wounds is okay. I honestly wouldn't mind it, especially if it took into account the type of weapon use.

Just keep the current method of being able to add scars in tact, to supplement other roleplay opportunities.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 05, 2013, 07:22:07 PM
I'm sorry for this derail. I think the idea of scarring on grievous wounds is okay. I honestly wouldn't mind it, especially if it took into account the type of weapon use.

Just keep the current method of being able to add scars in tact, to supplement other roleplay opportunities.

It's a necessary derail.  Few good ideas come to fruition without zealous debate.

If there were a rare level of damage that left you with scars, I'd really dig the shit out of this.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870