Subguild Idea: a southern subguild

Started by Blur, October 30, 2013, 04:58:41 AM

October 30, 2013, 04:58:41 AM Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:17:58 AM by Blur
I was looking at subguilds and it rebel subguild seemed a bit outdated now. Also the north already hads another subguild that fit well with the area, the forester. However the south however didn't quite have anything like this so my suggestion is to possibly rework rebel subguild into something the south can use.

The salter

Salters often wander out of the city on foot to search for salt in the salt flats. Salters are often poor and thus have learned to reach the fields by foot cautiously. However equally they are comfortable reaching their destinations on mount.   They have a good sense of direction allowing them to get home if the weather turns bad. Since salting is a dangerous job most are good at fleeing from comfrontation.  Lastly, they also know how take advantage of any animal corpses they find along the way.

sneak/ride/direction sense/flee/skin

I like the idea, though surely forage makes more sense for a salter than skinning, since it's a foraging-based job.

Well the other idea I had was reworking the rebel guild into the scout:

The scout is often sent out to survey an area for larger forces. Thus he is comfortable and knows out to make his way around an area without drawing too much attention to himself. He is good at climbing up small terrian as well. Lastly due to the dangerous unpredictable nature of his job, he is good at escaping from confrontation.

sneak/direction sense/ride/climb/flee

Of course since this subguild would be a warrior's wet dream, its probably a bit too greedy. Sneak could be replaced with hunt I suppose, but still with ride/climb and direction sense even with its lower skill caps it would be too close to grebber unfortunately.   :'(

I sometimes feel that with changes to riding and especially with addition of direction sense, it narrows your subguild choices a bit if you want to leave the city and aren't a ranger. Assuming you don't or can't apply for an extended subguild.

And then what would you do about those of us that like the rebel sub the way it is?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

October 30, 2013, 07:06:52 AM #4 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:16:06 AM by Blur
Quote from: X-D on October 30, 2013, 06:24:45 AM
And then what would you do about those of us that like the rebel sub the way it is?

Direct you to the hunter subguild.  :P

Quote from: Blur on October 30, 2013, 07:06:52 AM

Which lacks a couple skills the rebel subguild has. The hunter subguild only covers covers direction sense, riding, archery, fletchery, sneaking, hunting and skinning.

Rebel covers direction sense, sneak, -knife and spearmaking-, and armor repair. It is a totally different subguild in that sense, because its utility abilities are more geared towards somebody who patches their own armor, and cobbles together their own weapons to fight with.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 30, 2013, 07:40:20 AM
Quote from: Blur on October 30, 2013, 07:06:52 AM

Which lacks a couple skills the rebel subguild has. The hunter subguild only covers covers direction sense, riding, archery, fletchery, sneaking, hunting and skinning.

Rebel covers direction sense, sneak, -knife and spearmaking-, and armor repair. It is a totally different subguild in that sense, because its utility abilities are more geared towards somebody who patches their own armor, and cobbles together their own weapons to fight with.

No kidding? Well I guess some people really like their armor repair skill.  :D

The hunter subguild doesn't have ride though. And yes I know why most people aren't too concerned with ride as a skill in their subguild, unfortunately.   :-\

... Oh. Shit. I thought I read that in hunter sub.

I was going to say, hunter is not even close to the same as rebel.

In fact, the only thing that is the same is direction sense and sneak. Rebel is also better to foil guild sniffers.

And yes, Some people do like to patch own armor...play a HG sometime and that is a skill you wish you have when you do not.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

October 30, 2013, 10:40:41 AM #9 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:29:03 AM by Blur
Quote from: X-D on October 30, 2013, 10:03:12 AM
I was going to say, hunter is not even close to the same as rebel.

In fact, the only thing that is the same is direction sense and sneak. Rebel is also better to foil guild sniffers.

And yes, Some people do like to patch own armor...play a HG sometime and that is a skill you wish you have when you do not.

I would but HG aren't my thing heck i don't really like playing half-elves that much either. I don't see rebel as much of a foil for guild sniffers but then again I've never had a problem with that. I can see some rangers missing the rebel subguild regardless though so I'll give you that. I would still love to see  a southern based subguild like forester and arguably rebel, preferably another one with ride/direction sense as a skills. What can I say, I guess I just don't have the same love for armor repair as everyone else does.  ;D

An alternate idea for the salter subguild:

direction sense/ride/forage/scan/flee

Forage instead of skin, for obvious reasons. I swapped out sneak for scan, because salters might have learned to look out for salt worms and other dangerous beasties on the flats. Nothing about being a salter implies being necessarily sneaky to me.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Everybody gets forage though. Unless you all mean food forage capability.

I was thinking just a boosted forage skill to start? Or is forage one of those skills that doesn't actually gain points? Its been a while since I was a grebber.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Don't understand why you don't just pick a ranger. Come on why suggest new subguilds when there are guilds and subguilds already out there that match are beat what you are talking about. And from the sounds of this subguild if it gets approved it would be more geared towards an extended subguild than just a subguild. Ranger/weaponsmaker gives you what you are looking for or ranger with the extended subguild version of weaponsmaker.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

October 30, 2013, 01:41:05 PM #14 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:45:04 PM by Blur
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 30, 2013, 01:03:13 PM
Don't understand why you don't just pick a ranger. Come on why suggest new subguilds when there are guilds and subguilds already out there that match are beat what you are talking about. And from the sounds of this subguild if it gets approved it would be more geared towards an extended subguild than just a subguild. Ranger/weaponsmaker gives you what you are looking for or ranger with the extended subguild version of weaponsmaker.

Because I want to enjoy playing a human assassin or burglar who can go out riding and doing a little hunting on the side. I have no idea why you are suggesting weapon maker though.  A subguild like this might also cut down on a certain race that should probably be rarer to see then it currently is in the game. However that might just be me.

It would be nice to do it without having to pick grebber assuming it even has skin. I think extended sub-guilds are really cool but they are still an over the top once in a while kinda thing to me.

It is good that we do not make changes to the game based on the whims of a single player

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 30, 2013, 01:43:41 PM
It is good that we do not make changes to the game based on the whims of a single player

Mmmkay. Backing away now. I made my suggestion anyways.

Quote from: Blur on October 30, 2013, 01:46:03 PM

Mmmkay. Backing away now.

This, plus your avatar had me laughing. :P

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 30, 2013, 01:59:49 PM
Quote from: Blur on October 30, 2013, 01:46:03 PM

Mmmkay. Backing away now.

This, plus your avatar had me laughing. :P

Man I got told to stop just posting with jokes. So now I post with jokes/witty comments AND my own opinion.

The moonwalking blur *tsssss*

Anyways, uhh... yeah. You could pick a ranger. Or the Outdoorsman extender sub. The Grebber extended sub. There ARE new choices, mate. There are LOOOOOOTS of options, many more than most games of this type get. Use em!

stone crafter. That's a southern guild, right?
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I like the idea of a Salter subguild. My wish list for it?

Forage bump to include food finding, ride bump, scan, wilderness sneak and hide.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on October 30, 2013, 07:19:38 PM

Forage bump to include food finding, ride bump, scan, wilderness sneak and hide.

+ direction sense to deal with those huge storms?

Quote from: DustMight on November 09, 2013, 08:51:21 AM
Quote from: ShaLeah on October 30, 2013, 07:19:38 PM

+ direction sense to deal with those huge storms?

Huge storms my ass. There are plenty of subs that get D-sense already.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 09, 2013, 10:44:59 AM

Not sure that you actually have a point here...

Quote from: DustMight on November 09, 2013, 11:59:35 PM

go count the number of guilds/subguilds that get direction sense. we don't need another one.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 10, 2013, 06:50:49 AM

go count the number of guilds/subguilds that get direction sense. we don't need another one.

Well, I disagree. 

Also, I didn't know that we the staff limited based on how many other guilds got things.

I suppose your argument could be made for ride and slashing as well.

Quote from: DustMight on November 10, 2013, 07:28:22 AM

Well, I disagree. 

Also, I didn't know that we the staff limited based on how many other guilds got things.

Lots of stuff gets bonuses to ride, there are plenty of slashing guilds that get it. Weapon skills are simply too important to start throwing at subguilds.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 10, 2013, 09:35:15 AM

Well, I disagree. 

Lots of stuff gets bonuses to ride, there are plenty of slashing guilds that get it. Weapon skills are simply too important to start throwing at subguilds.

Yes but direction sense isn't slash. I like the idea of a southern sub guild having direction sense.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on November 10, 2013, 10:14:02 AM

Well, I disagree. 

Yes but direction sense isn't slash. I like the idea of a southern sub guild having direction sense.

Direction sense is quite powerful.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 10, 2013, 10:58:02 AM
Quote from: ShaLeah on November 10, 2013, 10:14:02 AM

Well, I disagree. 

Direction sense is quite powerful.

If your aversion to having DS added to a southern subguild is solely that it's too powerful, how would you feel if it was an extended subguild?

I think if this were to be considered it should have it solely because the storms down south SEEM to be much more brutal than up north.

We're talking a salting subguild, and you want a direction sense for a salter? No.

Grebber
(Extended Subguilds)
Grebbers are skilled in gathering materials in the wilderness. To this end they also possess some ability in guiding a mount and a canny sense of direction. Often opportunists, they are able to track small game with the more succesful amongst them learning to climb as to reach places others can not.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on November 10, 2013, 12:38:40 PM
Grebber
(Extended Subguilds)
Grebbers are skilled in gathering materials in the wilderness. To this end they also possess some ability in guiding a mount and a canny sense of direction. Often opportunists, they are able to track small game with the more succesful amongst them learning to climb as to reach places others can not.

There's your southern subguild right there. -Bam-.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 10, 2013, 12:40:14 PM
Grebber
(Extended Subguilds)

This is a good point.  The only thing that'd I'd improve about this subguild would be to allow them to forage for food (similar to the scavenger subguild).
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 10, 2013, 12:40:14 PM
Grebber
(Extended Subguilds)

Direction sense! Look at that.

Having played without direction sense before... I swore never to do it again. Big storm, things chasing you, oh no, a big hole or cliff right next to you, cross your fingers and move.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 10, 2013, 12:29:57 PM
We're talking a salting subguild, and you want a direction sense for a salter? No.

You fail to make a good argument as to why no - and certainly "No" isn't really convincing.

While extended subguild Grebber works, the idea of a a regular subguild salter with direction sense isn't, in my mind, "overpowering" any more than say ranger is overpowered or assassin/hunter or sorcerer/slipknife or whatever.

Just saying.  It's never been about "balance."

Never played a Salter or a Grebber so I'm wondering, does foraging for salt use forage stone?

Quote from: ShaLeah on November 10, 2013, 08:38:32 PM
Never played a Salter or a Grebber so I'm wondering, does foraging for salt use forage stone?

Nope, it's just 'forage salt'.

Higher levels of forage would be nice, I would like improved riding skill, but... Not really necessary to salt, still, would be nice. Direction sense would be crucial.

Direction sense is not crucial to salting, what game are you guys playing? If you want direction sense pick hunter, or nomad, or caravan guide, or pick ranger. Holy crap. It's not that hard. Grebber extended subguild, damn. Rebel. There are a TON of subguilds and such that ALREADY get direction sense.

Hahaha. And Mr. No weighs in again. Look, when you're salting, possibly on foot, amidst scrab and mekillot and dangerous raiders, the last thing you need is to get lost in a sandstorm. What game are -you- playing, and why are you so rude?

So... to recap:

Grebber (extended subguild), Rebel, Hunter, Nomad, Caravan Guide, or Ranger... and those aren't enough options for you?

There are many with improved direction sense because it's fucking important. That's why. Anyway, people are just musing over an idea, there's no reason to act like that. Maybe you could contribute something instead of being destructive. Nobody's saying "Oh, staff should do this right now because it's so important!".

I did. I contributed by pointing out a whole bunch of guilds/subguilds that get direction sense.

November 11, 2013, 08:16:19 AM #45 Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:29:10 AM by DustMight
Quote from: Fujikoma on November 10, 2013, 10:05:53 PM
Hahaha. And Mr. No weighs in again. Look, when you're salting, possibly on foot, amidst scrab and mekillot and dangerous raiders, the last thing you need is to get lost in a sandstorm. What game are -you- playing, and why are you so rude?
+1

For the record, we should dump the rebel subguild - rename it or change it up so it becomes a better no CP grebber guild.
1. I don't think we need location specific guilds/subguilds
2. Much of it is duplicated with grebber.  Would rather see grebber expanded.