Cut or slice command

Started by slvrmoontiger, October 22, 2013, 11:24:27 AM

I'd like it if there was a cut or slice command. This way you could share breads you cook.

Such as this:

The beady-eyed, apron covered man says to a couple of diners in sirihish
"Try my honey made bread its delicious"

>slice honey made bread

You begin slicing your honey made bread into several pieces

<delay>

You successfully slice your honey made bread into several pieces

>give bread Amos (setting it on the plate in front of !amos)

etc.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I think there are food items (bread etc) that can be crafted into slices after you make them?  Not all, but some?  I could be wrong but I'm sure I've sliced bread before. *shrugs*

If not you can always RP slicing it and then share the partially eaten food with someone:

taste bread (cutting a thin slice from the end of the loaf)

give bread amos (cutting a couple more slices from the loaf)

Not perfect but it still works?

Quote from: manipura on October 22, 2013, 11:33:20 AM
I think there are food items (bread etc) that can be crafted into slices after you make them?  Not all, but some?  I could be wrong but I'm sure I've sliced bread before. *shrugs*

If not you can always RP slicing it and then share the partially eaten food with someone:

Amos would then have to taste it and give it to the next person and on and on... And echoes make for really bad looks with that.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: manipura on October 22, 2013, 11:43:11 AM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 22, 2013, 11:36:55 AM

And echoes make for really bad looks with that.

What?

Sorry one should not play and respond to something at the same time. Echos make that look really bad.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 22, 2013, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: manipura on October 22, 2013, 11:43:11 AM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 22, 2013, 11:36:55 AM

And echoes make for really bad looks with that.

What?

Sorry one should not play and respond to something at the same time. Echos make that look really bad.

I'm not sure I'm following the whole "echoes make it look really bad" thing...?  You mean to the person you're giving something to, or to the room in general?
???

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 22, 2013, 11:24:27 AM
I'd like it if there was a cut or slice command. This way you could share breads you cook.

Instead of a new command, you might be able to submit a new crafting recipe through the request tool for each different bread item you want to have be sliceable. 

No new coding command required and by submitting the various crafting recipes you would actively be helping achieve your desire.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Seeker on October 22, 2013, 12:21:47 PM

Instead of a new command, you might be able to submit a new crafting recipe through the request tool for each different bread item you want to have be sliceable. 

No new coding command required and by submitting the various crafting recipes you would actively be helping achieve your desire.

Seeker

My current PC is not a Master at Cooking and I don't think it should take that in order to slice bread. My son at ten was able to do this. Also, adding in requests for new crafting seems to be problematic as I'm sure there are breads or other items out there that might be able to be sliced that I do not know and neither does my PC. Seems more efficient and effective if there could just be a blanketed command or some sort of skill that everyone that can cook can receive. Though like I said slicing bread or cutting up other things should be a basic task that anyone that has cooked could be able to do.

And my dad at almost 60 still can't slice a pie, though he tries every week.  I swear he's trying for the crit fail pie-slicing echo.

You try to slice a pie.
THE PIE GOES FLYING ONTO CATS AND SMALL CHILDREN ITS RUINED OH GOD

I'm not sure about his bread slicing abilities, though, but if you were going to make this available for breads (to cut something into bite-sized chunks) it should apply equally to everything.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

October 22, 2013, 01:40:25 PM #9 Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:42:21 PM by Desertman
This seems like it may be the least needed change/addition since the recommendation of the necksnap command.

That being said, I don't see how it would hurt anything, so I will give it a thumbs up, right after the staff finishes doing everything that actually would matter and make a difference and has some free time on their hands.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Why can't craft be used again? Isn't that how we slice FRUIT?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Have you ever noticed that the message you get for interrupting crafting is the same as you get for interrupting something else, iirc? We don't seem to have a stand-alone crafting code. I'm guessing we're appropriating some other system, and that makes every single craft much more of a bear to implement. Being able to slice everything might be a real bitch for some unlucky staffer.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Most loaves of bread *can* be sliced into actual slices. If you find a loaf of bread that can't be sliced, maybe use the IDEA command and suggest that they make it sliceable.

If you lack the skill to be able to accomplish this, think of it as: You lack the finesse to successfully make same-sized portion-controlled segments of this particular item. Sure, you can peel apart the different segments of a kalan fruit, but slicing bread requires a *sharp* knife (preferrably serrated), a steady hand, and a flat surface. If you lack any of these things, you shouldn't be capable of slicing it. You should wreck it every single time.

Thankfully, the game isn't based on realism and for playability's sake, they allow you to slice bread without a knife, without too much skill, and even while standing up or resting on a mattress with no surface at all, let alone a flat one.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: ShaLeah on October 22, 2013, 02:52:25 PM

Not all fruit is able to be sliced either. Umm so slice command would make all fruit able to be sliced.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 23, 2013, 01:01:01 AM

Not all fruit is able to be sliced either. Umm so slice command would make all fruit able to be sliced.

The point is things are sliced in game with the craft command. Adding slice would be redundant.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 22, 2013, 04:16:29 PM
Most loaves of bread *can* be sliced into actual slices. If you find a loaf of bread that can't be sliced, maybe use the IDEA command and suggest that they make it sliceable.

If you lack the skill to be able to accomplish this, think of it as: You lack the finesse to successfully make same-sized portion-controlled segments of this particular item. Sure, you can peel apart the different segments of a kalan fruit, but slicing bread requires a *sharp* knife (preferrably serrated), a steady hand, and a flat surface. If you lack any of these things, you shouldn't be capable of slicing it. You should wreck it every single time.

Thankfully, the game isn't based on realism and for playability's sake, they allow you to slice bread without a knife, without too much skill, and even while standing up or resting on a mattress with no surface at all, let alone a flat one.

>get bread pack

You get your bread from your backpack

>get bone pack

You get your short piece of bone from your backpack.

>cra bone into a serrated shortsword

<delay>

You make a serrated shortsword

>hold shortsword

You hold your serrated shortsword

>em raises ~shortsword and looks down at ~bread cackling with great joy.

I've only briefly skimmed this thread but in my head I've conjured an image of a dorf serial killer who creeps up behind his victims and whispers in their ear "Try my honey made bread its delicious" before utilizing the proposed cut or slice command.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

eat bread (slicing a chunk off with ~knife and slamming it into !me fat mouth-hole)

Quote from: ShaLeah on October 23, 2013, 01:02:53 AM

The point is things are sliced in game with the craft command. Adding slice would be redundant.

Then remove the craft for slicing here and there and put in the slice command so staff doesn't have to go through and code everything individually to be craftable to slice.

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 23, 2013, 01:07:12 AM
I've only briefly skimmed this thread but in my head I've conjured an image of a dorf serial killer who creeps up behind his victims and whispers in their ear "Try my honey made bread its delicious" before utilizing the proposed cut or slice command.

Okay this was funny. But definitely could see it happening.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 23, 2013, 01:07:36 AM

Then remove the craft for slicing here and there and put in the slice command so staff doesn't have to go through and code everything individually to be craftable to slice.

Redundant. It's like adding shin kick after already having a kick command... or needlepoint to tailoring... make the items slice-able? Sure, I can see that, making another command for something that is already accomplished with another? Waste of time.

Quote from: ShaLeah on October 23, 2013, 01:15:54 AM

Redundant. It's like adding shin kick after already having a kick command... or needlepoint to tailoring... make the items slice-able? Sure, I can see that, making another command for something that is already accomplished with another? Waste of time.

So which would be easier to code? Going through and setting up everything you cook to be able to be sliced via another crafting of the item or removing those already in game and setting up a slice command that would allow to slice everything?

Kinda like the "salvage" and "break" commands?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 23, 2013, 01:21:01 AM

Another good point

"Shave" and "make" could probably stand to be lumped into the "craft" category too.

And "pick" could just be changed to a regular ol'e "get" for leaves and plants. It's funny the first fifty times when I set to work on a lock on the redleaf plant-- but not after. :<

How is "Slice Bread" any different than "Craft Bread into several slices"?

Both commands will result in you having a few slices of bread in your inventory after their use. For all the new slices of things that can not currently be crafted into slices staff will need to implement new objects for the sliced versions with appropriate long descriptions, short descriptions, medium descriptions, flavour descriptions, scent descriptions, weights and values just like they would if this was done for crafting. Additionally they would have to go through all foods currently in the game to find out which ones can currently be sliced with crafting so they can be removed and transferred to the new slice command. It is a lot more work for staff for no difference in the end result except a fancy alias for "Craft (food) into slices"

Do this:

Quote from: manipura on October 22, 2013, 11:33:20 AM

Until this:

Quote from: Seeker on October 22, 2013, 12:21:47 PM

Seeker

That saves staff time, allows you to do what you want in game now and eventually brings slices to everything you want sliced.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 23, 2013, 01:21:01 AM

Salvage and break are two different commands that do two different things.

I think the differences between "break bottle"/"salvage bottle" and "craft bottle into shards" or "craft bottle into broken" would be strikingly similar to the differences between a proposed "slice bread" and "craft bread into slices".

>->

Slicing would require new objects that are the "sliced " version of whatever is being sliced. This is basically the crafting system. I suggest following Lizzie's advice and ideaing anything that isn't sliceable, but perhaps should be. Creating a slicing command would not be simple.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Plus, if we implemented slice, we wouldn't be able to keep food production down.

As it is right now, no self-respecting Zalanthan will pick up 2/4 pieces of fruit they dropped on the ground whilst cutting it up and eat them. If the masses began adhering to the "ten second" rule, the populace of Zalanthas would enter into a golden age of minimal hunger and immense prosperity.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin