A Detailed List of Races/Skills/Guild/Sub-Guilds...

Started by Mad Max, October 14, 2013, 03:39:05 PM

Quote from: Lizzie on October 16, 2013, 03:07:21 PM
Something wrong related to dual wielding

'

Dual wield is a combination of ep and es of two weapons, either the same or different.

Two-handing is etwo. Dual wield is es and ep, which is holding a secondary and primary weapon.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 17, 2013, 12:16:32 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on October 16, 2013, 03:07:21 PM
Something wrong related to dual wielding

'

Dual wield is a combination of ep and es of two weapons, either the same or different.

Two-handing is etwo. Dual wield is es and ep, which is holding a secondary and primary weapon.

This is correct.

I like two handed... Dual wield is good, sure, but man...
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 17, 2013, 01:21:20 AM
I like two handed... Dual wield is good, sure, but man...
Each one has its own merits that are for you to discover :D

Protip: True Zalanthan badasses es the worst weapon they can find and have nothing else for defense. Don't... ever do that. Unless you want to be a certified badass.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Done that in sparring many times, with a dagger or a knife.

Yep what the others said was correct - I got the terms mixed up. Dual-wield = wield *plus* hold, one weapon per hand. Two-handed = one weapon held with both hands.

"change hands ep etwo' is still the correct syntax - etwo is two-handed wielding
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Wastrel on October 16, 2013, 05:32:01 PM
The notion of griefing in armageddon is so pathetic. As long as everything is kosher and no rules are being broken, dont cry too much.

I've learned this.

I've never understood the deep ire some pcs (players? I don't know) seem to have for thieves and burglars. Sure, maybe you're upset that somebody took your sword or your pack. Its a game, and they sold that to buy kalans to eat. You can get your clan to give you more or go earn your ridiculous indie cash for more and anyone who steals or burgles likely doesn't have other methods of self-sustaining to fall back on.

Pc criminals need all the slack they can get too, with authorities rarely having chances to go after criminals and usually being quite get-go about it; likely if soldiers are asking your pc for the description of That Thief Guy you can go ahead and forget that he has blonde hair, a vertical facial scar, and blue eyes. Or maybe you only saw that he's got blonde hair. Or maybe you saw that he has blonde hair and brown eyes, and aren't really sure of the eye color, but the conversation is going fast enough so that you forgot to mention you aren't really sure. That's your decision though. Just giving you a heads-up though, playing a non-authority-protected criminal in this game is tough.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

I have never had a problem with pick pockets...burglers that don't relock or take everything...well, that is another story.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I mean, it would make sense if a burglar only took a small to a moderate amount of stuff, and locked the door, leaving the owner to think they misplaced it somewhere, somehow, as opposed to grabbing everything not nailed down and leaving the door wide open, which screams burglar, which might make some of the same profession start eying you as a liability possibly in need of dealing with, I would think. But I don't know, don't usually play those types of characters, just how I would imagine such a thing going down when the militia starts kicking down doors and rummaging through people's things looking for lockpicks and contraband and asking questions about where all these things came from.

Quote from: i love toilets on October 17, 2013, 07:51:26 AM
Quote from: Wastrel on October 16, 2013, 05:32:01 PM
The notion of griefing in armageddon is so pathetic. As long as everything is kosher and no rules are being broken, dont cry too much.

I've learned this.

I've never understood the deep ire some pcs (players? I don't know) seem to have for thieves and burglars. Sure, maybe you're upset that somebody took your sword or your pack. Its a game, and they sold that to buy kalans to eat. You can get your clan to give you more or go earn your ridiculous indie cash for more and anyone who steals or burgles likely doesn't have other methods of self-sustaining to fall back on.

Pc criminals need all the slack they can get too, with authorities rarely having chances to go after criminals and usually being quite get-go about it; likely if soldiers are asking your pc for the description of That Thief Guy you can go ahead and forget that he has blonde hair, a vertical facial scar, and blue eyes. Or maybe you only saw that he's got blonde hair. Or maybe you saw that he has blonde hair and brown eyes, and aren't really sure of the eye color, but the conversation is going fast enough so that you forgot to mention you aren't really sure. That's your decision though. Just giving you a heads-up though, playing a non-authority-protected criminal in this game is tough.

Well in real life would you want someone stealing from you?  I highly doubt it.  Hell, most people complain about being short changed a few scents at the market for crying out loud or complain of high prices.  "Look at that!  That is highway robbery!"  So, although I have not been around long enough in the game to see how it all works, I would assume people would not look kindly to being stolen from, especially since we are suppose to role play heavily in the game.  I have been reading the help files one by one, and understand Elves steal, not so much because they need to steal as in to eat or even survive, but simply because it is looked graciously upon, at least to their own tribes, as a good skill to have and master.  Like showmanship and trying to one up another...

You have no idea if that person in game you stole from had a family to feed or if their mother was sick and dieing in bed, etc.  That money or that expensive pendant (Which should of been hidden or was in fact in a closed pack before it was taken from them.) was to be sold for coin in order to pay the bills or to buy food for their children.  Now you took it for what ever reason and their family is suffering because of it, possibly starving with echoed cries of their malnutrition children and dieing mother.  Perhaps if you had come to that person and ask they would have gladly given it to you, (Not ask or tell them to give their money as if mugging them of course.) speaking of food, perhaps a little coin if no food was on hand and they had it to spare or even giving you some odd task to perform, with dignity of course, to 'earn' it.

Now if you are some other race trying to steal (I have not been through all the help files, mostly what was available at character creation for a newbie.) than maybe you have a legit reason (Although stealing is never legit, except to the Elves, but again it is not so much as legit as 'cool', to my understanding.) but I would say get a job like the rest of the population.

However, obviously, this is a game.  And with out the scum to walk the streets, the game would be a whole lot more boring and less intriguing.  So in saying all that, don't act surprised if people become up set or someone tries to knock your block off for stealing from them.  Just as I would expect in game, if the attacker was more powerful to fight back and possibly kill the victim, in the end.  But then I would assume that would be considered murder or manslaughter, plus thievery, etc. by the law.

And what is all this talk about soldiers asking questions to identify the assailant.  That actually happens in the game or you were speaking figuratively?  And can the victim be considered safe from the militia if they are being mugged or pick pocketed, but the victim retaliates and beat the thief with in an inch of their life, or is that considered abuse?  What if the victim kills the pick pocket, assuming that he or she had not attacked you first, only tried to steal.  Would the soldiers throw you in jail or execute you for murder or the game considers that fair play for being stolen from in the first place?
Today is a good day to die...

Never mistake my kindess for a weakness...

*emote grabs hand full of sand "We are born of the desert, we return to the desert..." *emote Releases the sand and watches as it falls on corpse slowly drifting

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 16, 2013, 05:27:59 PM
Superheros... Superheros wear their underwear on the outside... No one knows why...

EDIT: Speaking of sneaking up on people and doing silly things, when I was in the army I used to creep up on people who stood really still while talking and gently place a rock on top of their helmet, then sneak away.

Drill SGTs use to go around the barracks with a black marker and if asleep, mark your neck and considered you killed, then smoke you.  I use to place small pebbles in people's boots when on guard and watch them wake up and dress and tell them they're dead for not checking for scorpions, poisonous spiders and such.   ;D

Yea, I am not sure why a lot of Superheros do that either...

*emote grabs hand full of sand "We are born of the desert, we return to the desert..." *emote Releases the sand and watches as it falls on corpse slowly drifting

When you're talking about law-related issues in game, there are two considerations: the NPC-driven crime code, and then dealing with PC militia/templars.

PCs, in general, are open to corruption. A well-placed bribe can take the heat off you if you're somebody important/useful/liked by whatever templar or soldier catches you. On the other hand, even failing a steal on a noble is enough to get you executed if you get caught and can't beg and plead for your life.

The NPC crime code is more "fair", but less forgiving. NPC soldiers will attempt to arrest you and drag you to jail if you commit a crime; if you resist, they will attack and most likely kill you. If taken to jail, you'll lose your weapons and be forced to sit in the cell for a number of hours, during which PC templars and soldiers can come find and harass you.

I suggest you study "help nosave", in particular nosave arrest, for some more info.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 17, 2013, 12:36:25 PM
Well in real life would you want someone stealing from you?

I mean that I have encountered a number of times people for whom the ire of being stolen from goes deeper than their character and that they as RL people wish pickpockets weren't a guild... of course I might have just happened to run into the same person playing multiple characters or misinterpreted something along the line.

In this game, however, this world, theft and mugging and murder are daily occurrences which run rampant compared to Earth. I expect people not to treat the fact their non-essential non-majorly expensive thing getting stolen as LESS OF A BIG FREAKING DEAL OMG I HATE PICKPOCKETS SO FREAKING MUCH come on that's like the twentieth time in your life you've been stolen from.

You have no idea if that person in game you stole from had a family to feed or if their mother was sick and dieing in bed, etc.  That money or that expensive pendant (Which should of been hidden or was in fact in a closed pack before it was taken from them.) was to be sold for coin in order to pay the bills or to buy food for their children.  Now you took it for what ever reason and their family is suffering because of it, possibly starving with echoed cries of their malnutrition children and dieing mother. 

1. Of course I don't know, you don't know, that guy doesn't know, only the victim knows, and I, you, and that criminal don't care. This is Armageddon.

2. Profit margins for active independent criminals tend to be slim.

3. Profit margins for most members of the Zalanthan population tend to be pretty darn slim.

4. You've got some bite to your reply when there was none in mine. Upset you lost something? I get upset, too. However I think everyone who hasn't needs to get over it and treat pickpockets and burglars as flavorful, exciting additions to the game, not a source of butthurt.

Perhaps if you had come to that person and ask they would have gladly given it to you, (Not ask or tell them to give their money as if mugging them of course.)

Nothing is free, unfortunately. Handouts always comes with a price and some people will refuse handouts for this reason also. This is an extremely resource-strapped world. Although I've seen the occasional noble or other high-ranking pc shell out stuff to the unwashed masses for their own amusement because they are extremely powerful, can afford to indulge their expensive hobbies, and are either having some clean old-fashioned fun with the pitiful unwashed masses or are sending some kind of message, one I've seen a lot being, we are X powerful clan, and can give out monstrous amounts of Y and Z if we so choose without batting an eye/plus we're celebrating something.

speaking of food, perhaps a little coin if no food was on hand and they had it to spare or even giving you some odd task to perform, with dignity of course, to 'earn' it.

I enjoy when this happens in the game, myself.

Now if you are some other race trying to steal (I have not been through all the help files, mostly what was available at character creation for a newbie.) than maybe you have a legit reason (Although stealing is never legit, except to the Elves, but again it is not so much as legit as 'cool', to my understanding.) but I would say get a job like the rest of the population.

The availability of jobs, and the types of jobs (hard-coded ones for pcs at least) varies from place to place. It would be too long to list here. If you mean jobs that are 100% honest and you point to the 'rinth, you're basically screwed. Elsewhere its more flexible.

However, obviously, this is a game.  And with out the scum to walk the streets, the game would be a whole lot more boring and less intriguing.  So in saying all that, don't act surprised if people become up set or someone tries to knock your block off for stealing from them.  Just as I would expect in game, if the attacker was more powerful to fight back and possibly kill the victim, in the end.  But then I would assume that would be considered murder or manslaughter, plus thievery, etc. by the law.

Yep.

And what is all this talk about soldiers asking questions to identify the assailant.  That actually happens in the game or you were speaking figuratively?

Soldiers exist as pcs and can be animated by staff as well. If you mention being mugged or seeing something get stolen around them and the city isn't burning down, one will ask you to remember what you can about them.

And can the victim be considered safe from the militia if they are being mugged or pick pocketed, but the victim retaliates and beat the thief with in an inch of their life, or is that considered abuse?  What if the victim kills the pick pocket, assuming that he or she had not attacked you first, only tried to steal.  Would the soldiers throw you in jail or execute you for murder or the game considers that fair play for being stolen from in the first place?

1. The militia is not free of corruption and bias, and often can be bought off. 2. Being a citizen and in good standing with the law helps but does not guarantee your safe removal from the situation.

Let's assume your situation is complication free. Crimcode now enters in. Crimcode is criminal code, what happens when the thief gets a crimflag, or is caught by a virtual person or yourself in the room while committing the theft. This causes the npc soldiers to go after them, and then catch them for a stint in the jails if they can't get away. Any move on your part in this situation will be crimflagged as a murder attempt and soldiers will cut you down there--- this is, of course, assuming you didn't move from a room where there are people to a room where its just you and the thief. A room where there aren't people besides you two won't put a crimflag on either of you of any type.

Socially, you will still be considered a murderer if you kill them and then tell anyone, because you did it in the city, and one of the few things holding people to the cities is the fact that its somewhat safer, therefore the authorities are interested in getting rid of anyone willing to commit non-authority-backed murder inside the gates. Bribing could possibly work in this situation, or blackmail. I can't think of anything else but undoubtedly there's other stuff you can do too.

Well in real life would you want someone stealing from you?  I highly doubt it. ... I would assume people would not look kindly to being stolen from, especially since we are suppose to role play heavily in the game.

The character can do everything that's realistically in their power to deal with their problems, but the player behind the keyboard should keep roleplay in mind. There are circumstances where doing everything possible as a player to get a thief PC caught is *bad* roleplay.  Imagine your PC is stolen from by a robed and masked thief.  You get only a brief tiny glimpse with 'look' as the thief disappears into the virtual crowd.  IC, your PC barely saw the thief and has almost no useful information to catch them.  Codedly, the game just gave you their complete mdesc and equipment list.   Your PC might be really upset about getting stolen from.  Now you have a choice:

* Go spread around their full description because OMG THIEVES MY LOOOOOT!

* Roleplay the situation honestly and realize that your PC has no idea who stole from them.

What some of us regret is that the first one is way more common than it should be.  Maybe even more common than the second. 

On a general note, pickpocketing and thievery is also far more common in Zalanthas than on Earth.  When I hear a PC complaining about a routine theft, I tend to think of them as a whiner, similar to if someone complained about people  bumping into them on the sidewalk in real life.  Pickpockets are like the weather.  Anyone who thinks they're a big deal doesn't really get how the world works.

Also, it's pretty common that pickpockets have friends that can just flat-out kill your PC if they want to.  Most PCs, if stolen from, should probably be feeling lucky that they weren't knocked out or killed for the rest of their loot.  Most PCs certainly wouldn't think of going to law enforcement, not unless they had a specific friend or contact.  Otherwise, they'd probably just get fleeced again by the soldiers, not to mention face potential reprisals from the criminals.  The irate revenge fantasy (which tends to be the average PC response), in my opinion, is something that only really makes sense for Templars, Nobles, GMH family, and other overmoneyed, overpowerful PCs that are sufficiently unhinged and lacking in perspective that it makes sense for them to seek revenge for a minor theft.

Getting stolen from--- whether you can afford it or not, whether you were flashing your swag or not--- upsets people. Little upset to big upset, there is usually some kind of reaction in that vein. That is the natural state of things. That is something I encourage you to get over when it happens to you, and try to transform it into something exciting, like, an "Oh, shit," moment, or milk it into a story for a slow night at the bar, because I've done that, and made it neat and cool and all that, and not just, Ugh, DAMN IT.

Actually playing as a pickpocket will teach you worlds about theft that can't be explained here for spoiler reasons, if you're interesting in learning. Burglaring too I suppose but that's insanely dangerous and you may need to roll more than two to start understanding it.

October 18, 2013, 01:04:35 PM #115 Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:06:28 PM by Omn
Quote from: joyofdiscord on October 18, 2013, 09:52:51 AM
On a general note, pickpocketing and thievery is also far more common in Zalanthas than on Earth.  When I hear a PC complaining about a routine theft, I tend to think of them as a whiner, similar to if someone complained about people  bumping into them on the sidewalk in real life.  Pickpockets are like the weather.  Anyone who thinks they're a big deal doesn't really get how the world works.

I definitely feel like OOC opposition to the tough role that PC pickpockets play isn't congruent with the game's big professed themes: murder, corruption and betrayal. Having objects taken from your PC could be a bummer. Or, you could see it as a form of inclusion into the environment: look at you, you were robbed like the setting says Zalanthans are all the time! Welcome to Zalanthas!

Quote from: i love toilets on October 18, 2013, 03:15:17 AM

In this game, however, this world, theft and mugging and murder are daily occurrences which run rampant compared to Earth.

1. Of course I don't know, you don't know, that guy doesn't know, only the victim knows, and I, you, and that criminal don't care. This is Armageddon.

4. You've got some bite to your reply when there was none in mine. Upset you lost something? I get upset, too. However I think everyone who hasn't needs to get over it and treat pickpockets and burglars as flavorful, exciting additions to the game, not a source of butthurt.

Nothing is free, unfortunately. Handouts always comes with a price and some people will refuse handouts for this reason also. This is an extremely resource-strapped world. Although I've seen the occasional noble or other high-ranking pc shell out stuff to the unwashed masses for their own amusement because they are extremely powerful, can afford to indulge their expensive hobbies, and are either having some clean old-fashioned fun with the pitiful unwashed masses or are sending some kind of message, one I've seen a lot being, we are X powerful clan, and can give out monstrous amounts of Y and Z if we so choose without batting an eye/plus we're celebrating something.

What Earth do you live on where theft, mugging and murder is NOT a daily occurrence?  The only difference between the the real world and Armageddon, is one is real life and the other is made up, but one where you role play and act as if it is real, thus you would not take too kindly to someone pick pocketing you, a friend or an associate.  I am not sure about the butt hurt, I am still an anal virgin after all.

I would hope there are some kind and caring ICs.  Not everyone has to be a raving mad lunatic, thief or murderer.  (Even if the world is so bleak and depressing.)  I am not saying people have to run up a tall dune and start singing "The Silt Hills are alive, with the sound of Music...", but something other than a knife to ones throat every day.

I am assuming there is some kind of bounty system.  If you see someone else getting mug can you not assist the victim, like a vigilante or at least a good citizen or are you even considered bad for helping.  (Provided you did not out right kill the pick pocket?)

Quote from: joyofdiscord on October 18, 2013, 09:52:51 AM

The character can do everything that's realistically in their power to deal with their problems, but the player behind the keyboard should keep roleplay in mind. There are circumstances where doing everything possible as a player to get a thief PC caught is *bad* roleplay.  Imagine your PC is stolen from by a robed and masked thief.  You get only a brief tiny glimpse with 'look' as the thief disappears into the virtual crowd.  IC, your PC barely saw the thief and has almost no useful information to catch them.  Codedly, the game just gave you their complete mdesc and equipment list. 

On a general note, pickpocketing and thievery is also far more common in Zalanthas than on Earth.  When I hear a PC complaining about a routine theft, I tend to think of them as a whiner, similar to if someone complained about people  bumping into them on the sidewalk in real life.  Pickpockets are like the weather.  Anyone who thinks they're a big deal doesn't really get how the world works.

Also, it's pretty common that pickpockets have friends that can just flat-out kill your PC if they want to.  Most PCs, if stolen from, should probably be feeling lucky that they weren't knocked out or killed for the rest of their loot.  Most PCs certainly wouldn't think of going to law enforcement, not unless they had a specific friend or contact.  Otherwise, they'd probably just get fleeced again by the soldiers, not to mention face potential reprisals from the criminals.  The irate revenge fantasy (which tends to be the average PC response), in my opinion, is something that only really makes sense for Templars, Nobles, GMH family, and other overmoneyed, overpowerful PCs that are sufficiently unhinged and lacking in perspective that it makes sense for them to seek revenge for a minor theft.

I figured if you looked at a masked man (If he was actually masked to begin with.) would only give you the short description anyway, that would make most sense.  Thus "the lanky masked, golden haired elf wearing a red cloak" would be all that you get to see.  As you mention that is how it is in real life most times.  And maybe not even get to see the golden hair if their hood is up.  I would never have thought you get to see the entire main description, unless you got to look at him after knocking him out or killing him.  So when speaking to the militia I would assume saying "the lanky masked, golden haired elf wearing a red cloak", would be reasonably justified for IC purposes.  Of course as I stated, the hood up would take the golden hair away and in my opinion any smart pickpocket would have a stash of less incrementing clothes near by to take the red cloak even from off them.  Then it just depends on, who saw who changing or coming from where (If they even wanted to get involved if PC or was coded virtually) and if the militia even cares to do any detective work or even bothers to file a report etc.

As I stated in another reply to some one else, what Earth are you residing on?  Pick pocketing, thievery and murder run rampant.  You can not turn on the news with out hearing about it.  Of course it depends in what country you live and what city, etc.  But I would say you would be hard pressed not to find a country in which one, if not all three, do not occur on a daily basis and in some really bad parts, multiple times a day and that includes rape, torture, abuse against women, etc.  This is more OOC than IC discussions and probably best left for another thread, but I hope you do realize it is not all  sunshine and roses out side the game either...

And in all honesty I do not know how the game works yet, I am still learning, as it is so painfully obvious.  But I have a vigilante mind set.  We shall see how far it takes me.

October 18, 2013, 03:53:10 PM #118 Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:57:33 PM by Lizzie
Democracy doesn't exist in Zalanthas. Neither does benevolent dictatorship. Get modern politics out of your head. Vigilantes are cut down mercilessly, often violently, and sometimes silently, by the Sorcerer-King's minions - who are given permission to do so, and who have powers and resources to find out who you are, where you are, what you're doing, who you're doing it with, who you're doing it to, when, where, and how, AND who provided you with the tools to do all those things, and who THEY work for, sleep with, etc. etc. etc. One reason behind this: Who are you to say that our king's militia are incapable of doing their job? You're a nobody. Therefore - you insult the king's militia. And when you insult the king's militia, you insult the king's ability to pick his people. When you do that, you insult the king. Insulting the king is treason. Therefore, you are a low-life scum who has committed treason.

Commoners in both cities live under a reign of oppression; they are not -allowed- to be literate. Their lives are dependent on the whims of the king's minions, who are corrupt and really don't give a shit if you're trying to right a perceived wrong or not. Justice is defined by the ones who enforce it, and you have no say-so in the matter unless they decide to give you a say-so. And if they do that, your say-so better agree with their say-so. And even if it does, you're probably in for a world of hurt anyway. IF they let you live through it.

There are no knights in shining armor in Zalanthas. There are would-be knights in shining armor, but they die as quickly as they appear. Your right-fighter is fighting the wrong battle. He should be fighting for his next meal, because he has no "right" to eat.

Also - your masked man's sdesc would be:

The tall thin figure wearing a carved agafari mask.

Someone with their hood up would be:

The short and obese figure in a desert-camouflaged, hooded greatcloak.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 18, 2013, 03:53:10 PM
Democracy doesn't exist in Zalanthas. Neither does benevolent dictatorship. Get modern politics out of your head. Vigilantes are cut down mercilessly, often violently, and sometimes silently, by the Sorcerer-King's minions - who are given permission to do so, and who have powers and resources to find out who you are, where you are, what you're doing, who you're doing it with, who you're doing it to, when, where, and how, AND who provided you with the tools to do all those things, and who THEY work for, sleep with, etc. etc. etc. One reason behind this: Who are you to say that our king's militia are incapable of doing their job? You're a nobody. Therefore - you insult the king's militia. And when you insult the king's militia, you insult the king's ability to pick his people. When you do that, you insult the king. Insulting the king is treason. Therefore, you are a low-life scum who has committed treason.

Commoners in both cities live under a reign of oppression; they are not -allowed- to be literate. Their lives are dependent on the whims of the king's minions, who are corrupt and really don't give a shit if you're trying to right a perceived wrong or not. Justice is defined by the ones who enforce it, and you have no say-so in the matter unless they decide to give you a say-so. And if they do that, your say-so better agree with their say-so. And even if it does, you're probably in for a world of hurt anyway. IF they let you live through it.

There are no knights in shining armor in Zalanthas. There are would-be knights in shining armor, but they die as quickly as they appear. Your right-fighter is fighting the wrong battle. He should be fighting for his next meal, because he has no "right" to eat.

Also - your masked man's sdesc would be:

The tall thin figure wearing a carved agafari mask.

Someone with their hood up would be:

The short and obese figure in a desert-camouflaged, hooded greatcloak.

Sounds fun!   ;)

If that is all the description that can be seen and then told to the militia, how is that not being realistic?  Or you can still see the mdesc regardless?

If you LOOK at the person, you will see their Mdesc and their visible equipment (meaning - if their cloak is able to close, and is closed, you won't see their belt, or jacket, or any weapons or waterskins hanging off their belt, because the closed cloak obscures those wear-locations).

If you are in the room, and the person walks in, and you do not "look" at them - then you'll just see:

The tall and obese figure in the dark hooded cloak arrives from the west.

And when you type the word "look" by itself - without targetting anyone in particular, you'll see the room description, and anyone in it.

Really though - you should just enter the game. ALL of this stuff you're asking now, you can find out simply by entering the game.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 18, 2013, 04:30:01 PM
If you LOOK at the person, you will see their Mdesc and their visible equipment (meaning - if their cloak is able to close, and is closed, you won't see their belt, or jacket, or any weapons or waterskins hanging off their belt, because the closed cloak obscures those wear-locations).

If you are in the room, and the person walks in, and you do not "look" at them - then you'll just see:

The tall and obese figure in the dark hooded cloak arrives from the west.

And when you type the word "look" by itself - without targetting anyone in particular, you'll see the room description, and anyone in it.

Really though - you should just enter the game. ALL of this stuff you're asking now, you can find out simply by entering the game.

I have entered the game.  And I have used the 'look' command.  But I have never had anyone try to mug or pick pocket me so far, (That I am aware of anyway, perhaps they were really good...) so I was not sure how under those circumstance the game would allow for looking at someone who is purposely trying to mask themselves.  After all, if you are going to rob a convience store, you do not put your mask on after you come in, use names (Or the correct ones anyway.) and take off your mask while inside.  Heck, I doubt you would even drive to the store in your own car and or with your actual license plates to be seen, unless it was a spur of the moment thing which happens from time to time.  I would assume the game, as techinal and realistic as it tries to be, would factor in code- man trying to mug is masked and only the short description can be seen regardless what you tried to do, unless you subdued him or killed him and you unmasked/opened his cloak etc.  A pick pocket on the other hand would want to look as normal as possible in a crowd, other wise you suspect they are going to do something they shouldn't, but a pick pocket generally does not try and shank you either, unless caught and backed into a corner.

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 18, 2013, 05:52:43 PM
I have entered the game.  And I have used the 'look' command.  But I have never had anyone try to mug or pick pocket me so far, (That I am aware of anyway, perhaps they were really good...) so I was not sure how under those circumstance the game would allow for looking at someone who is purposely trying to mask themselves.  After all, if you are going to rob a convience store, you do not put your mask on after you come in, use names (Or the correct ones anyway.) and take off your mask while inside.  Heck, I doubt you would even drive to the store in your own car and or with your actual license plates to be seen, unless it was a spur of the moment thing which happens from time to time.  I would assume the game, as techinal and realistic as it tries to be, would factor in code- man trying to mug is masked and only the short description can be seen regardless what you tried to do, unless you subdued him or killed him and you unmasked/opened his cloak etc.  A pick pocket on the other hand would want to look as normal as possible in a crowd, other wise you suspect they are going to do something they shouldn't, but a pick pocket generally does not try and shank you either, unless caught and backed into a corner.

Hehe. You're getting to the kind of thing that is really best discovered by playing the game itself, I think.

I will say that you cannot look at hidden people who you have not detected, however.

October 18, 2013, 08:20:07 PM #123 Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:21:45 PM by Wastrel
QuoteSounds fun!  

If that is all the description that can be seen and then told to the militia, how is that not being realistic?  Or you can still see the mdesc regardless?

If you are hooded, completely covered, facewrap/mask, etc. Disguinishing marks covered, like say a tattoo on your neck - thats covered with a scarf. And you commit a crime, and the PC tells a militia member about your mdesc, a rule has been broken. Its code abuse. Unless your PC is a gicker with X-ray vision he could not see the intimate details of what said perp was wearing or what he looked like. This is a pretty common thing with playing pickpockets and stealy types. All players should be mindful of it, both victim and thief. Saying the guy was tall, or short, etc, is fine though.

Quote from: Wastrel on October 18, 2013, 08:20:07 PM
QuoteSounds fun!  

If that is all the description that can be seen and then told to the militia, how is that not being realistic?  Or you can still see the mdesc regardless?

If you are hooded, completely covered, facewrap/mask, etc. Disguinishing marks covered, like say a tattoo on your neck - thats covered with a scarf. And you commit a crime, and the PC tells a militia member about your mdesc, a rule has been broken. Its code abuse. Unless your PC is a gicker with X-ray vision he could not see the intimate details of what said perp was wearing or what he looked like. This is a pretty common thing with playing pickpockets and stealy types. All players should be mindful of it, both victim and thief. Saying the guy was tall, or short, etc, is fine though.

Why not fix the code to begin with and when someone is fully covered the Mdesc no longer functions?  Makes sense to me, then do not have to worry about certain people RPing or not and everything works out fine.  Has it been tried before and failed or no one has bothered with it.  I heard something about reigns on wagons being buggy, thus is no longer used, but I have no idea.