Commoner Mating in Zalanthas (Monogamy or not and other topics)

Started by Taven, October 10, 2013, 11:49:18 PM

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 12, 2013, 07:57:22 PM
I go all Aussie and call my clannies and good friends mates, and sometimes random people I don't know too. So I'm all for that word NOT being used specifically to mean something relating to relationships.

I think this get sorted out with context.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Everyone knows Red Storm is Australia. So if someone says 'Hey mate!' you can tell that 'mate' is a term like 'guy'. No one ever calls their mate 'Hey mate!'. They might say 'This is my mate'. Non issue.

I've heard people in game refer to their significant others as "This is my man" or "This is my woman". Equally others have referred to people in a intimate relationship as "He is her man", "That is his woman" and "That is his man". These terms are a tad more possessive in the way they sound when referring to a person in relation to another. I don't want to get into how common is it for people to be possessive in Zalanthas again, but I don't think you will be referring to someone as being yours in that way unless you are in a deeper relationship with them to me at least. Just another option for people who might not like or be comfortable with using the word mate. :)

Quote from: Dresan on October 13, 2013, 12:51:57 AM
I've heard people in game refer to their significant others as "This is my man" or "This is my woman". Equally others have referred to people in a intimate relationship as "He is her man", "That is his woman" and "That is his man". These terms are a tad more possessive in the way they sound when referring to a person in relation to another. I don't want to get into how common is it for people to be possessive in Zalanthas again, but I don't think you will be referring to someone as being yours in that way unless you are in a deeper relationship with them to me at least. Just another option for people who might not like or be comfortable with using the word mate. :)

I don't know the connotations would make me feel like I was a piece of property. I guess that's just me.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Dresan on October 13, 2013, 12:51:57 AM

Some degree of posessiveness is inherent in pretty much all Earth species with long gestation times. It's usually counteracted by other instincts though, so you end up getting some hefty variation in how much it predominates mating interactions.

Quote from: Narf on October 13, 2013, 01:58:16 AMSome degree of posessiveness is inherent in pretty much all Earth species with long gestation times. It's usually counteracted by other instincts though, so you end up getting some hefty variation in how much it predominates mating interactions.

One might argue that social structure and survival priorities in Zalanthas tends to redirect such possessiveness towards one's boots over one's partner. But that's just one point of view.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

They are my boots....

And the boots she's wearing are mine too.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Yeah. Don't knock boots.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I hope you see what you did there.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

;D
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Of course he did - monet is no dumbet.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Heh.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Jherlen on October 11, 2013, 01:41:19 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on October 11, 2013, 12:55:38 AM
how can you be monogamous when there are only two to three layers of fabric separating your genitals from that cute stranger at the bar?

Well that's true in real life too, and some people somehow manage.
theirs is truly a miserable existence.

Quote from: LauraMars on October 13, 2013, 10:46:12 PM
Of course he did - monet is no dumbet.

Haha, I see what you did there, too!