Climbing

Started by Cabooze, September 21, 2013, 01:10:07 AM

September 21, 2013, 01:10:07 AM Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:12:48 AM by Cabooze
it sort of irks me that only specific guilds/subguilds have the ability to climb (*get better at climbing). Why not allow all guilds to climb*, but they simply don't reach as high of a skill level as others? Let's say a merchant/warrior/hunter as compared to a subguild that has climbing specifically listed as one of their perks. The merchant would likely only be able to reach journeyman of climbing whilst the subguild which has the specific perk can possible reach master? It follows the concept of if someone does something for long enough, they will eventually pick up the skill. It makes sense, at least.

I agree. Climbing should be like ride: allow most guilds to become passable at it, especially if they properly equip themselves.

Thirded!
subdue thread
release thread pit

I disagree. Climb is awesome. Not everyone should get to be awesome.

There's only a few instances where climbing is useful. Want to do those things? Grab a subguild/guild that has it.

September 21, 2013, 02:08:23 AM #4 Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:12:36 AM by Cabooze
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 21, 2013, 01:40:45 AM

There's only a few instances where climbing is useful. Want to do those things? Grab a subguild/guild that has it.

To be fair, what you're saying is relevant to "You are not allowed to learn from your mistakes". Let's say someone's constantly trying to train themselves how to climb, no matter of their guild/subguild, they should at least be able to have some moderate skill at it. Being able to climb at least one room without slipping twenty times or falling when they try to climb down off an edge no matter what 9 times out of 10.

Riding is also awesome, so should not everyone get to be awesome? There's also few instances where riding is useful, yet everyone has a chance to be moderately acceptable at riding no matter what. Why not climbing, too?

Not trying to attack you or anything, just debating and making an argument for my point.

Quote from: Cabooze on September 21, 2013, 02:08:23 AM

To be fair, what you're saying is relevant to "You are not allowed to learn from your mistakes". Let's say someone's constantly trying to train themselves how to climb, no matter of their guild/subguild, they should at least be able to have some moderate skill at it. Being able to climb at least one room without slipping twenty times or falling when they try to climb down off an edge no matter what 9 times out of 10.

Riding is also awesome, so should not everyone get to be awesome? There's also few instances where riding is useful, yet everyone has a chance to be moderately acceptable at riding no matter what. Why not climbing, too?

Not trying to attack you or anything, just debating and making an argument for my point.
That argument would make more sense if this game wasn't class based, where you could feasibly 'learn' every skill in real life and make yourself better at them, but can't in the game because that's not how a class system works.

That said, I really do wish all guilds had some level of climb.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

free climb, free direction sense

Riding is indeed awesome. Not everyone gets to ride though, actually, just ask an elf. I'd love for Arm to have a elder scrolls style skill system where any skill can be leveled through use. It's never going to happen though. So we deal with a class system, and in that sort of system I like for certain things to give that class its flavor. Climbing and kicking and foraging for food shouldn't be for everyone, even though realistically anyone should be able to learn those skills.

September 21, 2013, 03:24:17 AM #8 Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:34:10 AM by hyzhenhok

IMO climb is too awesome because there are a lot of little places where it's really, really convenient to be able to pass a single, not very difficult climb check or two. And really annoying if you or someone in your group doesn't have climb.

It'd be nice if everyone could pass those circumstances with the correct preparation (practice + equipment). Leave difficult checks or the longest climbs out of reach for those people, of course. I'm talking a cap of apprentice or something. Just put it on my list, like skinning and ride, even though I'm never going to be good at it.

Edit: Usually you can pass the checks I'm talking about untrained anyway. It just takes dozens of attempts. This is a quality of life thing, not about making the parts of the world exclusive to people good at climbing more available.

Quote from: MeTekillot on September 21, 2013, 03:20:04 AM
free climb, free direction sense

Free climb and direction sense, 2013!!

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 21, 2013, 03:21:46 AM

Riding is indeed awesome. Not everyone gets to ride though, actually, just ask an elf. I'd love for Arm to have a elder scrolls style skill system where any skill can be leveled through use. It's never going to happen though. So we deal with a class system, and in that sort of system I like for certain things to give that class its flavor. Climbing and kicking and foraging for food shouldn't be for everyone, even though realistically anyone should be able to learn those skills.

You have a real good point.. Though with the elves, they technically CAN ride but I'd think they're likely to get a knife in the back from one of their own or taken aside for an OOC speaking to because the docs specifically state that they'd much rather walk with their own two feet (in a matter of words)

Quote from: hyzhenhok on September 21, 2013, 03:24:17 AM

IMO climb is too awesome because there are a lot of little places where it's really, really convenient to be able to pass a single, not very difficult climb check or two. And really annoying if you or someone in your group doesn't have climb.

It'd be nice if everyone could pass those circumstances with the correct preparation (practice + equipment). Leave difficult checks or the longest climbs out of reach for those people, of course. I'm talking a cap of apprentice or something. Just put it on my list, like skinning and ride, even though I'm never going to be good at it.

+1

Saying anyone should be allowed to climb if they work on it is like saying.. Gee my PC has sucky strength but he/she is constantly lugging around stuff that's goes beyond manageable, so this should build muscles and strength. I doubt either will happen.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on September 21, 2013, 03:47:23 AM
Saying anyone should be allowed to climb if they work on it is like saying.. Gee my PC has sucky strength but he/she is constantly lugging around stuff that's goes beyond manageable, so this should build muscles and strength. I doubt either will happen.

You're talking about stats that are rolled on character creation, though. Those stats change throughout character life.

Quote from: Cabooze on September 21, 2013, 04:09:56 AM

You're talking about stats that are rolled on character creation, though. Those stats change throughout character life.

Its still literally the same thing. You're building muscle lugging around heavy stuff so that should make improvements over a month or half a month in your conditioning. Not after a few years.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Oh and furthermore you're talking about guild/subguild that you chose. Its up to you what you choose. Rolls are random. If you choose not to pick what you want that's you're fault in the beginning not left to random chance.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on September 21, 2013, 04:12:45 AM

Its still literally the same thing. You're building muscle lugging around heavy stuff so that should make improvements over a month or half a month in your conditioning. Not after a few years.

I see where you're coming from, but this is more based around a skill that I feel should be a little less limited as to whom can eventually get better at it.

I understand the whole classing concept, but I truly wish that climb could be along side riding and skinning and shield use as far as skills that mostly everyone can figure out.

Quote from: Cabooze on September 21, 2013, 04:16:51 AM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on September 21, 2013, 04:12:45 AM

I see where you're coming from, but this is more based around a skill that I feel should be a little less limited as to whom can eventually get better at it.

I understand the whole classing concept, but I truly wish that climb could be along side riding and skinning and shield use as far as skills that mostly everyone can figure out.

Well I need to stop you right there. To the best of my knowledge riding, shield use, and languages are the only ones that fit that description. There are many guild/subguild combinations that never improve at skinning.

Climbing is something that "people who would normally have an interest in climbing" would do. If you are building your character around the concept of "people who would normally have an interest in climbing," then there are both guilds AND subguilds devoted to such activities. You get two chances to include the skill in your skills list, per character.

If I pick a character based on "people who are able to break into apartments" and combine it with "people who can be really great with archery," then I need to not complain that my character can't master-craft a dress.

The same thing goes for climbing. Most people, in real life and in fantasy, have no need to climb things - except maybe short people onto barstools, or apartment dwellers onto tables to reach the top shelf of the bookcase. Climbing is a specialty thing. In real life, I can climb a path - but I can't scale a mountain or cliff. Climbing is a useable skill to people who are known to have a use for it. Such as - sneaky people who might have need to get onto rooftops - and desert elves who would more likely climb a cliff face to get to the other side of the mountain, than ride around it comfortably on a mount.

Furthermore, EVERYONE can climb. It isn't a skill that can improve much in most guilds/subguilds, but it is a skill that everyone can succeed at, eventually. So, it already is possible for everyone to try, and succeed. The people who get the coded skill on their skills list, are the people who make sense to have the skill.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on September 21, 2013, 08:52:54 AM
Climbing is something that "people who would normally have an interest in climbing" would do. If you are building your character around the concept of "people who would normally have an interest in climbing," then there are both guilds AND subguilds devoted to such activities. You get two chances to include the skill in your skills list, per character.

If I pick a character based on "people who are able to break into apartments" and combine it with "people who can be really great with archery," then I need to not complain that my character can't master-craft a dress.

The same thing goes for climbing. Most people, in real life and in fantasy, have no need to climb things - except maybe short people onto barstools, or apartment dwellers onto tables to reach the top shelf of the bookcase. Climbing is a specialty thing. In real life, I can climb a path - but I can't scale a mountain or cliff. Climbing is a useable skill to people who are known to have a use for it. Such as - sneaky people who might have need to get onto rooftops - and desert elves who would more likely climb a cliff face to get to the other side of the mountain, than ride around it comfortably on a mount.

Furthermore, EVERYONE can climb. It isn't a skill that can improve much in most guilds/subguilds, but it is a skill that everyone can succeed at, eventually. So, it already is possible for everyone to try, and succeed. The people who get the coded skill on their skills list, are the people who make sense to have the skill.

FACT +1.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

September 21, 2013, 09:34:13 AM #18 Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:47:17 AM by Kryos
Quote from: Lizzie on September 21, 2013, 08:52:54 AMStuff

Unlike the previous poster, I find gaping flaws in nearly everything you've said.  Its not uncommon or hidden knowledge that subguild skills are always inferior to main guild skills, and the substantial gaps in ability have big game  play impact.

"Wanting to climb and do so until you succeed" is insanity, and a dead character.  As for the need to climb?  Zalanaths is *plastered* with need to climb reasons.  In and out of cities.  

It may be debated to be a 'speciality' thing, but it by no means some elaborate or secretive process that any Amos from a farm can't learn to do, and by measure of their attributes and size, to a decent degree depending on them.

That being said, while I think everyone should be able to learn to climb a room or two at most, I understand from gameplay perspective why higher end ability to climb should be restricted to certain people.

As for the direction sense sub-thread that's going on:  no.  Not start with, but perhaps be able to branch to a low degree that improves with *ig* years you spent doing it.  As, the selection of skills you start with does represent what you've spent the last 13-50+ years working on before you unvirtualized.  reasonable to expect another 13-20 years before you could hope to reach the potential of someone who has devoted similar investment.

Siding with RGS

Quote from: Kryos on September 21, 2013, 09:34:13 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on September 21, 2013, 08:52:54 AMStuff

Unlike the previous poster, I find gaping flaws in nearly everything you've said.  Its not uncommon or hidden knowledge that subguild skills are always inferior to main guild skills, and the substantial gaps in ability have big game  play impact.

"Wanting to climb and do so until you succeed" is insanity, and a dead character.  As for the need to climb?  Zalanaths is *plastered* with need to climb reasons.  In and out of cities.  

It may be debated to be a 'speciality' thing, but it by no means some elaborate or secretive process that any Amos from a farm can't learn to do, and by measure of their attributes and size, to a decent degree depending on them.

That being said, while I think everyone should be able to learn to climb a room or two at most, I understand from gameplay perspective why higher end ability to climb should be restricted to certain people.

As for the direction sense sub-thread that's going on:  no.  Not start with, but perhaps be able to branch to a low degree that improves with *ig* years you spent doing it.  As, the selection of skills you start with does represent what you've spent the last 13-50+ years working on before you unvirtualized.  reasonable to expect another 13-20 years before you could hope to reach the potential of someone who has devoted similar investment.

You see I disagree with this. What you're saying and everyone else that wants it to be a learn based skill goes completely outside what Armageddon is about. If you want to turn climb into this then someone is going to come alone that chooses say Ranger/Armorcrafter for their PC's guild/subguild. That PC is happy about hunting things and making armor until one day....

>think Wow I want to learn how to break into apartments

After a bit of walking....

tell shifty sneaky elf I'd like to buy a lock picking kit please.
The sale occurs.

Month... Perhaps years pass...

pick lock e
You successfully pick the lock to a super incredibly rich apartment.
e
You see around you a bunch of gemstones, silk, and spice.
>think It was such a great idea to learn how to break into apartments.

There has to be a balance somewhere people!!!

No there doesn't. If there had to be balance, half-giants, sorcerers, and magickers would not exist.

Quote from: MeTekillot on September 21, 2013, 02:23:03 PM
No there doesn't. If there had to be balance, half-giants, sorcerers, and magickers would not exist.

But wouldn't turning things into anyone can learn anything at any time they wish be putting Armageddon in the same realm as most of the other MUDs out there?

It's a class-based mud, so you have to learn to live with it.

It makes as much sense as my warrior not being able to spot that guy who's hiding with him in his closet-sized apartment.

C'est la vie.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

September 21, 2013, 04:48:08 PM #24 Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 05:17:21 PM by HavokBlue
Not that it would ever happen, but it would be kind of neat if all rooms that required climb checks had different ratings so, for example, everyone could get at least apprentice climb so they can get out of that 10 foot deep hole or onto that one-story roof, but no matter how hard they try, will never be able to make it up the shieldwall because it requires at least advanced climb.

Would also be a bit more realistic. I can take a random person and throw them on a 5.0 climbing wall and they might struggle with it for a few minutes but anybody who is even remotely physically fit can do it without falling and breaking a leg, but unless they practice and work at it, they will never be able to top out a 5.12.

edit: As it stands, it's kind of silly that Amos the Fat Merchant will fail his climb check 29 times out of 30, but he can also get obscenely lucky and scale the shield wall if the dice are in his favor.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on September 21, 2013, 04:48:08 PM
Not that it would ever happen, but it would be kind of neat if all rooms that required climb checks had different ratings[.]

I dig that idea.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I agree with rating different rooms as to the difficulty for climbing this only makes sense. I'm sure in Armageddon just as in RL there are places that would be an easy climb say a short cliff with lots of please for hand holds and foot holds. And then very difficult places like the shieldwall.

I still agree that because this is a guild (class) based MUD that not everyone should be able to learn to climb well anywhere. If that got approved the next thing we would get is someone complaining because they can't see people hiding, or someone complaining because they have no capability to crit hit, or even someone complaining that they can't guard someone because they chose the profession of soldier even though they couldn't ever be able to guard someone. Then you would get people complaining about how elves have more endurance, giants are stronger, or mantises have six arms to wield a weapon in.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on September 21, 2013, 12:39:47 PM
Stuff

Missing some of what I said here.  Learning how to pick locks *is* a secretive and difficult task that wouldn't be readily available to just any Amos.  Climbing is quite literally basic body control and a show of strength and dexterity.  They are apples and oranges.

And even, lets say, if all skills did eventually have the ability to be branched to mid capacity, you aren't going to be busting in to rich apartments.

But, that's blowing it out of proportion and not even focusing on the topic at hand:  climb, so there's a fallacy in that.

As for climb difficulty, I can't say for certain, but I do believe grades of difficulty already exist.

Quote from: Kryos on September 21, 2013, 05:19:22 PM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on September 21, 2013, 12:39:47 PM
Stuff

Missing some of what I said here.  Learning how to pick locks *is* a secretive and difficult task that wouldn't be readily available to just any Amos.  Climbing is quite literally basic body control and a show of strength and dexterity.  They are apples and oranges.

And even, lets say, if all skills did eventually have the ability to be branched to mid capacity, you aren't going to be busting in to rich apartments.

But, that's blowing it out of proportion and not even focusing on the topic at hand:  climb, so there's a fallacy in that.

As for climb difficulty, I can't say for certain, but I do believe grades of difficulty already exist.

It would seem you've never been climbing before. There's a lot to learn about climbing and its not just about physical fitness or dexterity. You need to have the smarts and the know-how to be able to figure out where something is going to lead before you get to it. You need to know how to test things like "is this going to come loose and send me falling to my death?" Check the statistics on how many climbers die each year in various places. There's a difference between climbing a mountain and hiking it.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on September 21, 2013, 05:24:09 PM
stuff

And you'd be wrong.  I've done a lot of climbing, most of it free climbing up nearly sheer faces.  No one ever taught me how, I just, as a rascal, decided it'd be fun to climb up the bluffs off the lakes and rivers we camped on, knowing if I fell I'd just hit deep water.  I became quite proficient.

Just RP your character teaching himself how to climb over time. Stick with it and log it and send a request to staff to plead your case. If your character went about it reasonably, it's possible to obtain it.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Although I support the freedom to do whatever we want!! - I will say nay to everyone getting climb.

My reasoning is this and is completely off topic:
I haven't played any good games that I've enjoyed in forever and I blame the new ideas or whatever. Maybe it's some other reason I haven't considered... but I think alot of the new games comming out suck. I enjoy way more games on the PS2 than any other console.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

One can passably climb with the proper equipment and no skill.

You can get yourself out of a pinch with neither, within reason.

Fair enough. I guess the system is untouched from back in 2008 when my first Bynner deserted after ticking off a noble, fell off the shield wall, ran across the tablelands with a warband of gith chasing him, and escaped them by accidentally walking over a ravine but successfully scrambling for purchase with zero skill and zero equipment.

Climb is one of the outdated systems in the game that could stand to be revamped and re-balanced, and it'd be nice to see the "oh, you're untrained; you can climb up this but it'll just take you 30 attempts" changed to something more reasonable. But it's understandable that this would be low priority.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 22, 2013, 11:52:28 AM

Quote from: Kryos on September 21, 2013, 05:31:01 PM
I've done a lot of climbing, most of it free climbing up nearly sheer faces.  No one ever taught me how, I just, as a rascal, decided it'd be fun to climb up the bluffs off the lakes and rivers we camped on, knowing if I fell I'd just hit deep water.  I became quite proficient.

You a sneaky guild, Kryos? Or is this a subguild thing?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

stuff

And you'd be wrong.  I've done a lot of climbing, most of it free climbing up nearly sheer faces.  No one ever taught me how, I just, as a rascal, decided it'd be fun to climb up the bluffs off the lakes and rivers we camped on, knowing if I fell I'd just hit deep water.  I became quite proficient.

Then you are obviously Guild_Ranger or something else that gets climb.

stuff

If my dad had done a lot of climbing, most of it free climbing up nearly sheer faces, with no one teaching him how, just because he thought it'd be fun, he still would fall and get seriously hurt, each time. He is not athletic, or particularly physically well-coordinated. Not everyone is -able- to do what you did, whether taught or untaught.

This, in game, translates to guilds and sub-guild. Some people are more inclined to have the capacity to climb. Some people are not. If you want to play a character who is more suited to climbing, then pick a guild or subguild that comes with the skill.

Anyone *should* be able to rip up a strip of sandcloth and make a bandage with it. Until the salvage code was released, it was the exclusive domain of guilds and subguilds that came with the bandage skill. Now, anyone can attempt to salvage cloth for makeshift bandages.  It's not foolproof, and since it's not a coded skill, it will never get "better." Just like with climb - anyone can attempt to climb. Eventually, most people will succeed. But if it's not a coded skill on their skills list, they will never get any better.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The main problem is that the game world is designed with "not everyone is good at climbing" as a fundamental assumption.  Sure, you could give everyone a 45% climb and rework every climb room in the game to have exactly the same base chance of success as previously, but what the hell would the difference be? Nada.  You'd just be giving people the satisfaction of seeing climb (journeyman) on their skills list, at the cost of a whole lot of tedious manual re-jiggering of who-knows-how-many rooms.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Morrolan on September 23, 2013, 11:30:42 AM
I've done a lot of climbing, most of it free climbing up nearly sheer faces.  No one ever taught me how, I just, as a rascal, decided it'd be fun to climb up the bluffs off the lakes and rivers we camped on, knowing if I fell I'd just hit deep water.  I became quite proficient.

You a sneaky guild, Kryos? Or is this a subguild thing?

The 6'7", 265 pound man says, "No."  More to the point, I got lucky and rolled exceptional strength and good agility.  Meaning that even with the possibility of garnering some skill in the task, the difference of genetic cruelty would make a big impact on success/failure, and that code already exists in the game.

I say we take away /all/ the skills!
Revolution!!!
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Ragequit.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

This.

Essentially the climb skill equates to: "Your character can freehand scale up the sides of precipitous cliffs."

Not everyone can do that in the least.

There is a -lot- of climbing gear in game. Using that stuff equates to: "Your character, with a range of tools at his disposal, is capable of making a decent climb."

This is much more realistic. I've climbed to the top of crazy places in the game with no climb skill and gear. I think climb should be reserved to those characters who fit the above bill of 'being able to climb like Brandon Stark or Locke Lamora'.
"Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

"Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."

The solution everyone is really looking for is the ability to send one person to the top with a rope rig, then haul everyone else up with it, without having to wish up for staff assistance.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 28, 2013, 11:38:38 AM
The solution everyone is really looking for is the ability to send one person to the top with a rope rig, then haul everyone else up with it, without having to wish up for staff assistance.

Pretty baller idea, actually. XD
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Knight of Knives on September 28, 2013, 11:13:46 AM

This.

Essentially the climb skill equates to: "Your character can freehand scale up the sides of precipitous cliffs."

Not everyone can do that in the least.

There is a -lot- of climbing gear in game. Using that stuff equates to: "Your character, with a range of tools at his disposal, is capable of making a decent climb."

This is much more realistic. I've climbed to the top of crazy places in the game with no climb skill and gear. I think climb should be reserved to those characters who fit the above bill of 'being able to climb like Brandon Stark or Locke Lamora'.

But I can give you all the climbing gear in the world IRL, and if you don't know how to use it or what you're doing, you won't be topping anything but a hospital bed. Most climbing aids don't make you a better climber, they make you less likely to die when you fuck up.

You shouldn't be able to climb to the top of crazy places without the climb skill, in most circumstances. But it also shouldn't be a massive struggle to get out of a 10 foot deep hole in the road.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I think we're all mature enough that the fall and hit your neck critical fail can be removed from the game and be replaced with a critical slip, which will cause you to fall even if you've already gained purchase at a certain height.  In that way, you've eliminated the can't get out of a ten foot hole scenario, and still make it dangerous for the untrained to climb to very high places.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on October 07, 2013, 03:38:20 PM
I think we're all mature enough that the fall and hit your neck critical fail can be removed from the game and be replaced with a critical slip, which will cause you to fall even if you've already gained purchase at a certain height.  In that way, you've eliminated the can't get out of a ten foot hole scenario, and still make it dangerous for the untrained to climb to very high places.

Also a +1 able idea, imo.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

You slip and fall on your neck because fuCK YOU!!!! FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!