Mass Combat: serve <target>

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, July 30, 2013, 09:18:51 PM

For the time I've spent in Arma the number of code changes of this level have been fairly non existent. It's not just a new command, it's new combat code.

I doubt we'll see this solution. We might just see HRPTs use more rooms and split people up. I'm going to assume moving players around is easier.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Leave that to the staff to decide. The code discussion forums are for discussing new code, regardless of how big it is or how hard it is to implement.

August 05, 2013, 02:13:15 PM #27 Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:20:16 PM by Desertman
In regards to the OP.

As I understand it after reading your initial post, you would automatically attack/assist your unit leader when they attack someone else. Correct?

If so, this basically does exactly what the staff decided shouldn't be possible with large NPC units.

A large unit of NPC's can not be ordered to attack a single PC.

There was an issue with PC commanders making NPC units attack single PC's to basically instantly destroy them. So, this was taken out of the game as I understand it.

With this proposed addition, you would basically have a auto-attack/assist code in place to force a large unit of PC's to instantly attack and destroy that single PC instead of using NPC's.

(If I am understanding your proposed addition correctly. I could be wrong.)

I believe there were also some IC changes to certain magical things to make it so large units/groups couldn't be used in a similar regard.

I do like the idea of coded unit benefits etc...

I'm just not sure how to implement them. I don't like the idea of auto-attacks for anything though.

I would rather see unit commanders in game get together with their units in question, teach them battle tactics IC, and train them regularly to know exactly when to assist them instead.

Funny story. I accidentally trained a unit of mine TOO well once and killed a mul I only intended to trample with my mount to make him run away. I trained them to KNOW that when my Sergeant attacked someone, they jumped to his aid instantly, without question. And boy did they. Killed that poor guy before I could even tell them to stop.

I would rather see unit tactics and commands come about IC instead of being implemented with a piece of code automatically. I am for coded unit benefits though.

Edited to Add:

As for your idea for your units making people randomly disperse and attack different targets instead of their intended target. This can be done with the code already. I also trained my previous unit in exactly how to do that. They were very good at it.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Hmm. I don't suppose I was thinking about that bit. When I get home to a proper computer I am going to rewrite the OP. I've had a few thoughts since posting thiz.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The original post's content has changed substantially, based on further thoughts and ideas presented in the replies. There are also a few new additions that further clarify what a formation would do for mass combat.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870