Dog Pile Solution

Started by hatchets, July 29, 2013, 07:23:18 AM

Quote from: X-D on August 06, 2013, 02:39:33 PM
You all should maybe watch some jump in vids or something...Maybe cops beating vids. All I know is the hard cap suggestions are the least realistic suggestions offered....and/or would be pointless anyway.

Please. A dozen people don't attack one person all at once in the same second.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

No, but they might all attack one person within the same span of ten seconds or so. Or in Armageddon terms, within the same combat round.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 30, 2013, 11:21:56 AM
This is kinda starting to spiral out into two different topics entirely.

The thread was originally made to discuss ways of making group-on-group combat make sense.

So let's discuss that?

We don't care about lone Amos getting roflstomped by a handful of PC raiders-- dumbshit should've known better than to have traveled alone in the first place.

We care about big group 1 fighting against big group 2, and how to make it seem less like every single person in either group is taking stabs at the two people that typed "kill otherguy" first.

ITT

Quote from: X-D on August 06, 2013, 02:39:33 PM
You all should maybe watch some jump in vids or something...Maybe cops beating vids. All I know is the hard cap suggestions are the least realistic suggestions offered....and/or would be pointless anyway.

I don't know. I've watched videos on YouTube when there was like a prison riot, or cops pulling a Rodney King. Generally a certain number of attackers could physically whoop a single target's ass. Then some would disengage, so others could get in on the fun. It all happens very quickly, but physically a limited number of bodies have room to attack.

Does that realistically simulate a massing crowd, like being a single target in a riot? No. But does it solve for the current issue where an unlimited number of attackers can get full combat abilities against a single defender? Yes.
Amor Fati

And so does other more realistic suggestions on this thread. Given your post, one would think that you would be in favor of the suggestion to slow attacks going in past a certain point and staggering rounds more.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on August 07, 2013, 04:08:52 PM
And so does other more realistic suggestions on this thread. Given your post, one would think that you would be in favor of the suggestion to slow attacks going in past a certain point and staggering rounds more.

No, just a "There's no more room to attack Amos!" message. It would be similar to other "You can't do that" conditional combat messages like for bash, or charge, etc.

Of course, that solution would involve giving every race in the game a size category, so it would potentially be a lot of work.
Amor Fati

Again, simply limit the number of attacks per round to 5. Resolve the order of attacks  by either agility or offensive skill or both.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Fnord on August 08, 2013, 04:29:49 PM
Quote from: X-D on August 07, 2013, 04:08:52 PM

No, just a "There's no more room to attack Amos!" message. It would be similar to other "You can't do that" conditional combat messages like for bash, or charge, etc.

Of course, that solution would involve giving every race in the game a size category, so it would potentially be a lot of work.

Uh... they pretty much already have that though. That's what's taken into account when you get clothing/armor tailored, afaik. Unless you mean size in a way that doesn't relate to height and weight on a numerical scale and instead just mean something like 'all Half-giants are size 4, all elves are size 3, all breeds are size 2, all humans are size 1', etc. I would think if it were to be adjusted for size though, if there was a way of using the sizes for armor/clothes, rather than a specific racial number that doesn't vary, it would make more sense.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: X-D on July 29, 2013, 02:34:51 PM
You know...here is an option.

What if there was no limit...BUT, working on the Qmans thoughts, ...if you could not 100% target a certain person when starting an attack on another group?

Say, Byn sarge Malik and his 6 troopers come across Raider Bill and his 9 thugs.. Now, Raider bill tells his crew to take out Sarge Malik first, So, everybody either types KILL MALIK or Assist Bill. But the code then flips a coin Virtual of course. And each person has a 50% chance to be on Malik, if they fail then the code simply picks one of the PCs following Malik....Of course you can try to maneuver once combat is engaged, through rescue, change opponent etc...or even flee, return and try for Malik again.

I would think that would be rather simple to code and not set hard limits of any kind.

Also, if  Sarge Malik and crew runs in on Raider bill alone...well, raider Bill is rightfully Toast.

I may be picking up something from way earlier in this thread, but I think this idea is awesome and I support it entirely.

Best solution to combat spam?

Allow characters to move other characters to different rooms.  Allow players the ability to split up fights and prevent the massive gang-bang.

Just add it as a side capability to bash : bash Amos n.  If successful, moves both Amos and Basher north.

Simple, but complicates targetting in combat immensely.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Just for the record, change opponent only works if there are more than one attacker on the person changing the focus of their attack.

So if you are in a fight with someone and you wish to attack someone else, if they are not attacking you, then they will not be an option to change to them, using change opponent.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.