Blindly throwing your weight around

Started by GruntNPoint, August 30, 2003, 02:50:28 AM

I was standing above this hole... I looked down, and it said it was completely dark down there... so, I wonder how far down does this hole go, would it be safe for me to go down there?!? I get out the trusty torch, light it up, bring my arm back (that is brandishing the torch, of course), and attempt to "throw torch down" this hole... something didn't quite work... I still had this torch in my hand after I had gone through the process... seems to me that I didn't see a target downwards to throw the stupid torch at... hmm... let me think... it was dark, therefore I could not see anything to begin with... torches are cheap, I wouldn't have minded losing one to be honest... so, why am I still holding onto this torch?!? why can't I just blindly throw it down the hole?!? hmm... good question... anyone out there feel that I shouldn't be allowed to throw this torch blindly in any direction I feel? and what about other things I'd like to throw here and there... like tossing a head into the sanctuary, not to hit anyone, but to have it land in there and look vacantly at everyone around it...
Beyond all good and evil lies North Dakota"

Grunt N. Point

Manys the time I've wanted to throw a torch down a hole or into a cave before risking my neck.  So thumbs up on the idea.  But I don't think it would work, because the light objects are quirky.  

Once, while hanging halfway up a wall underground I dropped my torch, the torch fell down, down, down, but the light stayed in the room with me.  When I climbed down, the room at the bottom was still dark, while the room I had dropped the torch in was still lit, until I picked up the torch, causing it to go out.

Another time I was underground and saw a critter, so I dropped my lantern and drew my dagger.  The critter picked up my lantern and walked away with it, but the light stayed in the room I had dropped the lantern in.  Untill I finally killed the critter and retrieved my lantern the light didn't move, despite the fact that the NPC critter carrying the lantern was moving around.

What does it all mean?  I don't know, it was pretty darn perplexing.  I think the "light up this room" flag isn't as firmly connected to the torch object in the game as it is in real life.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I think it would be cool if you could just: throw item direction without having to designate a target to hit. 8)
You've got my vote, I can think of alot of things that we'd be able to do with that and it would make things a bit more realistic.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I was thinking the same thing... just using the torch as an example... I can think of many reasons to throw something in direction without a target... It gets to be ever so slightly annoying... I was hoping that maybe this could be looked into, maybe even alterred to some degree... I feel it would be a great change to the game... it would add a little more realism...
Beyond all good and evil lies North Dakota"

Grunt N. Point

I wanted this once as well, and had no command, so I wished up and an imm did it for me, which was very cool.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger