Half-elf Coding

Started by slvrmoontiger, July 10, 2013, 03:29:03 PM

I was wondering if something isn't working correctly or if what I thought was incorrect. When you choose a half-elf as a PC it gives you three options as to what the PC will be. One to be more human like, one to be more elf like, and the final one to be a mix. I thought that this would make various coding differences depending on the type you picked. For instance a human coded half-elf might walk at a normal human pace with a normal human stride. This seems not to be the case. Is this option a coding option or just a way to control the Main Description of the PC? If it is a coding difference, what exactly are the differences between the three?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 10, 2013, 03:29:03 PM
I was wondering if something isn't working correctly or if what I thought was incorrect. When you choose a half-elf as a PC it gives you three options as to what the PC will be. One to be more human like, one to be more elf like, and the final one to be a mix. I thought that this would make various coding differences depending on the type you picked. For instance a human coded half-elf might walk at a normal human pace with a normal human stride. This seems not to be the case. Is this option a coding option or just a way to control the Main Description of the PC? If it is a coding difference, what exactly are the differences between the three?

This is only relevant towards your pc's outward appearance. The inherent traits of being a breed are still there.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

It does only affect outward appearance.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Does it effect assess -v?
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Vwest on July 10, 2013, 04:43:11 PM
Does it effect assess -v?

That's pretty much the -only- thing it codedly affects, tbh.

But that's not really even coding. That's all in you Main Description. So pretty much its a way to control if Mdesc is correct or not. You still assess -v as a breed. You're height and weight are all set through the creation process. So there really is no coding involved. So why have the option?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 10, 2013, 06:33:59 PM
But that's not really even coding. That's all in you Main Description. So pretty much its a way to control if Mdesc is correct or not. You still assess -v as a breed. You're height and weight are all set through the creation process. So there really is no coding involved. So why have the option?

It does affect assess -v. Assess -v gives different results depending on if the person you're looking at is the same or different race than you. Being an apparently human half-elf will give the human result to other humans.

Doesn't it have an effect on language?  If you look more elf you don't speak Allundean as well and if you look like a human you don't speak Sirihish as well.  If you are 50/50 ?
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on July 10, 2013, 06:56:39 PM
Doesn't it have an effect on language?  If you look more elf you don't speak Allundean as well and if you look like a human you don't speak Sirihish as well.  If you are 50/50 ?

This is not coded and requires either a special app (to add/trade skills), or (if you're just removing skills) wishing up/sending in a request.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

...So why have the option?

Because the imms still have some sympathy for those of us who play human-appearing or elf-appearing half-breeds. For some reason. Thanks, by the way, guys.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Before this change (two or three years ago, i think) you could assess -v a half-elf, and regardless of how they looked and/or roleplayed, you, the player, knew with 100% certainty that they were a breed (the only race in game where race can be questionable).

A Dwarf is obviously a Dwarf. An Elf is obviously and Elf.  A Half-Giant is obviously a Half-Giant.  A Mul is obviously a Mul.
A breed is a dirty little thing that no one wants to claim.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 10, 2013, 10:51:30 PM

Before this change (two or three years ago, i think) you could assess -v a half-elf, and regardless of how they looked and/or roleplayed, you, the player, knew with 100% certainty that they were a breed (the only race in game where race can be questionable).

A Dwarf is obviously a Dwarf. An Elf is obviously and Elf.  A Half-Giant is obviously a Half-Giant.  A Mul is obviously a Mul.

I misspoke.  Before the change, a human would know for certain that the breed was not a human,  even if he looked like one.  An elf would know for certain that the breed was not an elf, even if he looked like one.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 11, 2013, 07:59:12 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 10, 2013, 10:51:30 PM

I misspoke.  Before the change, a human would know for certain that the breed was not a human,  even if he looked like one.  An elf would know for certain that the breed was not an elf, even if he looked like one.

Odd all of my human looking breeds whenever doing an assess -v on another PC even a NPC human soldier has had it say they appear <> for their race. If it was the same it should say they appear <> only isn't that true? The same goes true with any elf looking breeds when doing an assess -v on an elf.

You know your character is a breed.

The assess -v thing is so Joe 'OOC gangsta' Know can't just find you out with a command used to provide the player with relevant comparative information about other PCs.

He'll need to actually read your description and observe your behavior before throwing you to the 'toks.

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Vwest on July 13, 2013, 06:22:57 PM

The assess -v thing is so Joe 'OOC gangsta' Know can't just find you out with a command used to provide the player with relevant comparative information about other PCs.

He'll need to actually read your description and observe your behavior before throwing you to the 'toks.

Some of my characters know they are breeds. Others may not. Never know.

That is why you assess non-breeds as 'their race' instead of your pseudo-race, ie: human-breed assesses humans as 'their race'.

July 16, 2013, 05:20:46 PM #16 Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:27:44 PM by Desertman

You are a human, you are 6ft tall.

The hidden breed is 5'5.

The hidden breed still leaves long-strided tracks when you hunt them.

I just...I don't even...

(Took something out I need to confirm.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Vwest on July 13, 2013, 09:17:08 PM

That is why you assess non-breeds as 'their race' instead of your pseudo-race, ie: human-breed assesses humans as 'their race'.

Thought that was changed. And if not probably not fit for GDB

I think I might misunderstand. If so never mind.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Desertman on July 16, 2013, 05:20:46 PM

The hidden breed is 5'5.

I just...I don't even...

Is this allowable to discuss what leaves what tracks here?

The general rule is: If it is not something that is documented then no, do not discuss it on the GDB.
Grebber - One who grebs.

July 17, 2013, 10:04:22 AM #20 Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:06:23 AM by Desertman
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 16, 2013, 05:50:25 PM
Quote from: Desertman on July 16, 2013, 05:20:46 PM

The hidden breed is 5'5.

I just...I don't even...

Is this allowable to discuss what leaves what tracks here?

I really don't think I have told you anything that you couldn't assume given an understanding of basic physics, and reality.

Humanoids leave tracks. This includes half-elves. Because half-elves are humanoids.

Because humanoids are bipedal (we have two legs), our tracks would of course indicate a specific stride. Meaning taller people would have a longer stride, and shorter people would have a shorter stride, such is the way of the world and the mechanics of all existence.

All I have told you here is that in game when you hunt something/someone, sometimes you can tell how tall they are based on their tracks. Just like in real life.

I haven't told you how a bahamet track looks for example.

All I have really told you is....half-elves leave humanoid tracks.

I would hope that would be obvious.

Now, what I am pointing out code wise that couldn't automatically be assumed by anyone with a basic understanding of....people....is that even when you hunt a half-elf that is shorter than you, or is even shorter than a typical human, they still appear to leave tracks as though they are taller than a typical human.

I'm almost certain that shouldn't be that way, just based on...legs.

Perhaps stride length in tracks should be height related and not race related.

July 17, 2013, 10:06:49 AM #22 Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:10:06 AM by Desertman
Quote from: Delirium on July 17, 2013, 10:06:02 AM

Delirium, getting the points of my posts since 2002.

Nyr! I demand you put the HRPT on hold to fix tracks based on height. This is breaking my immersions.

Also, fireballs.

Wait, I have a better solution...Kill all Half-elves during the hrpt.  Problem solved..I win. I win.  But how will I be able to accurately hunt them down?    NOOOOOO!
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I agree with this. Stride length should be height depending not race dependent. There are breeds out there that are shorter than some humans, why would their strides be longer? If you want to go based on matter of physics then people who are taller should have longer strides. Simple fact of physics.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 17, 2013, 01:30:35 PM

I agree with this. Stride length should be height depending not race dependent. There are breeds out there that are shorter than some humans, why would their strides be longer? If you want to go based on matter of physics then people who are taller should have longer strides. Simple fact of physics.

I agree with Silver Moon Tiger. He is a smart man that says smart things.