Philly Cheese Steak

Started by DrunkenSalarr, August 29, 2003, 02:23:03 PM

Alrighty, 'Nak has their famous Allanaki Flame Cheese (no big secret there).

What I want to know is do any of the other cities/villages/outposts have their own dishes?  Or perhaps different ways of eating?

For a real life example: I am from the Southern US, and I know we eat things here that are repulsive to those in other parts of the country.  The reverse is also true.  I also happen to know that we eat things differently here, I know that when I go up North, I get funny looks when I'm sopping up my stew/sauce/etc. with my bread.  Down here, it's very commonplace.

I have a feeling things like this exist on Zalanthas, I was just wondering if anyone has put any thought to it.  It would make Professional Cook character concepts a bit more intersting for those that play them.

~Drunken Salarr, who is currently eating a "Mess o' Beans"
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Northerners supposedly think that roasted scrab head is disgusting.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

QuoteI know that when I go up North, I get funny looks when I'm sopping up my stew/sauce/etc. with my bread.

Those people most be snobs. I live in Upstate New York (Can't get any more North than that... Well, Alaska doesn't count) and I do that all the time. Go bread-soppers!

I've played mainly in Allanak, and another dish there that Northerners might find disgusting are roasted scrab heads. Oh, man, are those fun to EMOTE with!

I've also noticed in Luir's Outpost that everything tends to be described as 'spicy'. So I guess Luir's is the 'cajun' area of the Known World.

As for what Northerners eat... Milk and honey? The dew of the gods? I dunno.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Basically, it's the eating of insects that Northerners find disgusting.

Southerners eat a plethora of bug parts- scrab, kank, antennaes, heads, all sorts of meats. And ever try a good heaping helping of shield wall oysters? If you have.. you'd know that they neither came from the Shield Wall, nor are they oysters.

Northerners just don't eat bugs, I'd suppose. Don't hold me to this, though- I haven't played in the North in a good, long while.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Yeah, I dunno.  I'd imagine people eat cilops.  I've never heard the 'we don't eat bugs' bit before.  I swear I've seen kankmeat for sale up north as well, but who knows.

Quote from: "CRW"Yeah, I dunno.  I'd imagine people eat cilops.  I've never heard the 'we don't eat bugs' bit before.  I swear I've seen kankmeat for sale up north as well, but who knows.

Well, don't quote me on the above statements. I'm no expert on Tuluk, by and large- this is merely something I'd pieced together from scattered info-bits.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

I would say that Tuluk would be a more medival kind of eating place.  Hard bread, soft bread, flat bread, rolls, roasted meats, roasted tubers, roasted fruit, candied fruit, honied fruit, shredded fruit, cubed fruit...

Lots of fruit up there, candies and cookies and tarts. I read somewhere that the North prefers sweet things so that's how I think.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I could see Tuluk favoring more animal meats and fruits/vegetables, while Allanak is into "dairy' products, wheats/breads, and insect meat/parts. Tuluk has much more game than Allanak and fauna, while Allanak has surrounding farmlands that harvest food.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Ginka fruit are traditionally northern, and there are other foods that are available according to location. Peppers, for example, in Luirs, and Horta fruit from the Tan Muark. Ocotillo wine is a southern product, while the north has a number of fruit wines not available in the alcoholically-benighted south. Tandu is a northern meat; scrab is southern. Occasionally these lines have been blurred by careless builders, but hoepfully that gets fixed along the line somewhere.