Author Topic: Behold the Power of Hemote!  (Read 3884 times)

Morrolan

Behold the Power of Hemote!
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
...even if you don't want to make the spam worse (in a big crowd)...

I just wanted to add that hemote is your friend for character development, and in crowded scenes.

Hidden emoting means that not everyone will see what your character does. It can be used effectively in the following ways:

To add subtle clues about what your character is thinking
Think about this from the other players' positions:

Sitting silently at the long, bone bar, the tall, muscular man watches the room.
vs.
You notice: Sitting silently at the long, bone bar, the tall, muscular man watches the room.
vs.
The tall, muscular man sits silently at the long bone bar, eyes on the room.
You notice: The tall, muscular man's eyes flicker from one group to another as conversations rise and fall.

To let you focus on telling the story of your character
When you don't even know if people will see it, emotes become much more character-driven and much less scene-driven. You might find yourself feeling less like you're a character up on stage with everyone watching, and more like you're actually a person.

To draw attention to your character
If you hemote consistently, people will see it. Eventually. And a hemote sometimes gets people to pay attention in a way that emotes don't.

To give your character depth
Hemoting can force you to examine your character's motivations on multiple levels.
  • What they think they're saying
  • What they're actually saying
  • What they think about what they're saying

The tall, muscular man says, in Midwest-accented English, "We come in peace."
You notice: The tall, muscular man's lips curl into the barest sneer and his eyes harden.

Even better, phemote allows you to write about subtle things that your character doesn't choose to do.
The tall, muscular man smiles.
vs.
The tall, muscular man smiles.
You notice: There's a hint of strain around the tall, muscular man's eyes.

To take the virtual world into account
If your character's sitting alone in a busy tavern, and he scratches his nose, chances are not everyone will notice.
You notice: The tall, muscular man scratches his nose, looking around.

Also, you can use it for environmental effects.
You notice: The tall, muscular man's hair drifts back and forth in the shifting winds beneath the pale moon.

EDIT to add:

Depending on your client, you might be able to type in multiple lines at once, and have them go off together. On my client, the character is a semicolon (though maybe I just set it that way).

Code: [Select]
em smiles at ~templar, with a dip of his head in agreement;hemote grits his teeth and sighs a little in frustration
The tall muscular man smiles at the hardnosed templar, with a dip of his head in agreement.
You notice: The tall, muscular man grits his teeth and sighs a little in frustration.

EDIT to add some more:

Just to take a step back for a moment, I'm not saying that emoting, or even hemoting, is good RP. What I am trying to say is that by focusing on hemotes that take into account the environment, the virtual world, and conflicts that occur within your character, you may find yourself developing deeper, more believable characters. Sometimes the hemote can give the illusion of depth even when it's not there. You'll see for yourself how powerful that can be!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:16:59 PM by Morrolan »
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Hicksville Hoochie

Re: Behold the Power of Hemote!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
This post > Mass Effect 3 Ending!

It's always fun when I pick up on someone else's hemoting, and always try to throw in a good deal of them to keep my character 'alive' as well, even if they're as simple as a sudden, quick blink in response to something said, or failed footsies!

Not much to add really, just my support for hemotes!

Potaje

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »
I'd add that that is Phemote, which is hidden and not pemote which is not hidden and more like emote.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Morrolan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
I'd add that that is Phemote, which is hidden and not pemote which is not hidden and more like emote.

Noted. I'll fix it in the OP.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Vwest

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29:22 PM »
Huh.

I've been using semote the entire time after being chewed out OOCly as a newbie for hemoting when not hidden.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

BUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Morrolan

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »
As you probably have now figured, but for the benefit of others reading the thread, semote is for "silent emotes" and will not show for people who can't hear for some reason.

Quote from: help semote
Semote    (Emoting)
Silent emotes should only be used to express actions that are completely silent. They will only show to people who can see you, so if they are asleep, dying, or otherwise unable to see you, they will not get any indication you did something.

Hemote, afaik, tests against other character's watch skill to determine whether you see it or not. If another character is watching yours, then they are more likely to see a hemote.

Quote from: help hemote
Hemote   (Emoting)
Hidden emotes should be used to represent subtle motions that wouldn't be obvious to the room you are in. Only those who are actively watching you, or who are very observant will notice these.

Vwest

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »
Just so we're clear: There is no actual rule against using hemote when not hidden?

Morgenes

• Board Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
Using hemote is ok. The original post is full of great examples of how to use it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

ShaLeah

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »
Hemote is one of my favorite commands. I even have account notes on it. Heh.

Anywhere where you're around a mass of people is a great place for it, especially if you're an introvert or you have something on your mind. I love sitting at the local pub and catching someone's hemote without watching them, especially if my attention is on someone else. My characters have learned a lot about people by catching little hemotes.  Hemoting is also great for sex, for private conversations or looks between two people in any situation, to hate on the world, to show emotion when outwardly most would see you stoic.

Just so we're clear: There is no actual rule against using hemote when not hidden?

Hemote
Hidden emotes should be used to represent subtle motions that wouldn't be obvious to the room you are in. Only those who are actively watching you, or who are very observant will notice these. Hemote supports a small language which allows you to refer more effectively to other characters. See 'help emoting' for more details on using the language. You can also use @ to place your short description arbitrarily within the emote.

Like I said, unless you're watched all the time in a room full of people, you can get away with a whole lotta shit. Under the table, under the bar, under the cloak.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
Quote from: Anonymous
I'm sorry to see that your personal resolution to this went in that direction, but wish you the best.

catchall

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:09:53 PM »

No such rule can exist since the game doesn't even overtly inform you if your PC is successfully hidden or not.  Sounds like you were just chewed out by a jerk.

Vwest

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »
Yeah, think I'll see if I have the logs saved.

Feel like a bit of a dope for buying into it for so long, though :/

Morrolan

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »
Although I implied it in the OP, I'd like to go into more depth about how the use of hemote can move a character from being presentation-focused to internally focused.

Let's imagine Amos is tavern sitting. He's a typical Zalanthan badass, stoic and unfriendly. In the world of only emotes, he looks around, unspeaking.

>em watches the tavern, a sneer on his face as he's lost in thought
The tall, muscular man watches the tavern, a sneer on his face as he's lost in thought.

Okay, now let's see how that plays out when we apply a multiple-level approach using a variety of commands:
>emote watches the tavern from his seat at ~table;phemote a sneer curls @me lips, as he stares at nothing, lost in thought;think (superior) I don't see why they do it. Sit here and live so weakly, instead of struggling for more.

Everyone in the tavern sees:
The tall, muscular man watches the tavern from his seat at the triangular stone table.

Perceptive characters see this as well:
You notice: A sneer curls the tall, muscular man's lips, as he stares at nothing, lost in thought.

Staff (and maybe some players?) also see what he's thinking.

But that's all happening in the background. More importantly, you've taken a simple moment of tavern sitting, and turned it into a moment of character development. Sure, Amos's background tells staff that he's got a serious superiority complex. But this brings it to life in the game.

And, in many cases, the hidden things that other characters notice will be kept hidden. It's rare for another character, in the tavern, to call Amos on his hidden sneer. But they'll remember it. And they'll know how to interact with him. They'll help you, the player, tell Amos's story.

And here's another "secret" about hemote
Since other characters see them based on a skill that varies from character to character, that means that (in some cases, depending on a number of factors inappropriate for the GDB) that longer-lived characters are more likely to see your hidden emotes. Longer-lived characters are also more likely to be involved in plots, and to have time to "help" your character.

So while the first emote tells everyone, "I'm a badass," badasses are in no short supply in Zalanthas. The more complex emote/hemote/think combination more specifically targets long-lived characters for interaction. Just think of it as a way of saying, "I'm ready to play with the big boys and girls." It doesn't work all the time, and not every time. But it works often enough to be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:19:46 PM by Morrolan »

Refugee

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
I'm convinced.  I hardly ever use thinks and rarely hemote in really public situations. I'm going to work on it!

Good job, Morrolan.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
Eat should be hemote.  Why does everyone see you eating?
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Qzzrbl

• Derp
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
Y'know. This has convinced me too.

When I get around to playing again, hemotes will be everywhere.
Quote from: MeTekillot
This probably sounds like I'm advocating MMF threesomes that include me but I honestly wouldn't know what to do in that situation. Jazz hands, maybe.

James de Monet

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »

Actually, I think I'd really like to see a 'brief echoes' command or something that would gag a lot of command echoes if they didn't have an emote attached to them.

Not having to see open/close, eat/taste/drink/sip, look, sit/stand, junk, and any other kind of functional command during times of heavy screen spam (RPTs) could he nice.  And with the provision about command emotes, you'd still catch the flavor ones. I don't know about get/put, though. I'd hate to miss someone slinging a broadsword of certain doom out of their pack during a party.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »

Actually, I think I'd really like to see a 'brief echoes' command or something that would gag a lot of command echoes if they didn't have an emote attached to them.

Not having to see open/close, eat/taste/drink/sip, look, sit/stand, junk, and any other kind of functional command during times of heavy screen spam (RPTs) could he nice.  And with the provision about command emotes, you'd still catch the flavor ones. I don't know about get/put, though. I'd hate to miss someone slinging a broadsword of certain doom out of their pack during a party.

+1

Riev

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 11:49:54 PM »
As a player of thieves with nothing to steal, its often nice to see the open-close messages. At least you know which container to loot first when they spam open/close and you end up just killing them outright out of convenience.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 02:36:35 AM »
I hemote scratching my ass.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

wildhalfling

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
I have started doing hemotes as of yesterday due to this post. I also found out my client does not support the ; to break up commands. What client do you use for that?

Hitsuchi

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »
I don't know what client you use, but I know MUSHclient doesn't support it. However, Ctrl+Enter gives you a new row/same effect as ; would in [whatever client it works in].

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
MUSHclient does support it, you can set the special character to be whatever you want. That said I usually just use ctrl+enter myself because sometimes Arm's targeting gets confused when you sandwich a ; in there.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Morrolan

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »
I'm using KildClient on Windows 7. I needed to install Perl to do it.

wildhalfling

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 10:39:26 PM »
Nice! Ctrl+Enter worked for me. Thanks!

Morrolan

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »
say (cackling) Behold the power of hemote!
phemote eyes widen with RP madness.
think (wacky) Soon! Soon, we will discover the power of WATCH!