Travelling

Started by Narf, June 02, 2013, 04:18:31 AM

Quote from: AreteX on June 03, 2013, 10:24:10 AM

How often do you see someone who has "been around" a while running around with a lizard?

Half the mounts in the game are lizards - including the inix. They all have their pros and cons. You should try actually looking at them sometime, or at least bother to find out what all the different kinds of mounts are good for befo0re making wild claim.
But I guess it wouldn't be the gdb is people didn't do that.

Back to the more interesting derail about hatin' on Supply!
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 03, 2013, 10:40:57 AM

:'(
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on June 03, 2013, 10:42:26 AM

:'(
Or was it just hatin' on Marines hatin' on Supply?
Either way, it's more interesting.

June 03, 2013, 11:13:57 AM #53 Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:51:47 AM by X-D
One of the security guards at work is retired USAF...now this would normally spawn many jokes and much ribbing from any marine/sailor/GI.

But being as he was  an ARS chopper pilot in vietnam, I simply can't poke fun at anybody that crazy.

Family get togethers can be interesting in my house as well. Everybody actually related to me who has served has been in Marines or Navy...so, much good natured ribbing.

Cept for my Father in law. Vietnam vet career retired GI Sergeant Major Joseph. He gets to sit and drink his beer in peace cause nobody messes with a sergeant major. I will have to ask him about supply.

And yes, My father in law IS GI Joe.

As to travel. I think most things have been said.

I mostly agree that mounts should have slightly reduced stam but increased encumbrance.

PC races (other then delves) Should have slightly increased stam but take much larger encumbrance hits to movement, and make that even larger if they are running.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: AreteX on June 03, 2013, 10:24:10 AM

How often do you see someone who has "been around" a while running around with a lizard?

Half the mounts in the game are lizards - including the inix. They all have their pros and cons. You should try actually looking at them sometime, or at least bother to find out what all the different kinds of mounts are good for befo0re making wild claim.
But I guess it wouldn't be the gdb is people didn't do that.

I guess it wouldn't be the GDB if people didn't come into a thread and with a constructive post, respond with sarcasm and rudeness.

You took one sentence from my entire post and commented on nothing else.  I am not making "wild claims".  I am stating something that is pretty true and other people on here have as well.  I realize there are other lizard mounts, but I was meaning to refer to the Sunback, specifically.  Other people have stated before on this thread that certain mounts are used more often because they are simply "better".  What I was referring to is the fact that these "better" mounts are taken up and the old mount is tossed aside to forever be a ticket in a bag, or sold to someone, even if the character itself would likely be attached to the animal.

Maybe Zalanthians are different than the real world in that regards, and they don't get attached to their mounts.  Maybe I am wrong.

It doesn't mean you have to come on here and reply with sarcasm, nothing constructive, and then continue to derail the thread, does it?

Maybe if you were more correct in your post, you'd not have to worry about it. ::)

June 03, 2013, 11:37:15 AM #56 Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:40:03 AM by AreteX
Actually, don't explain.

This is why I don't post on the GDB very often.

I don't see sunbacks running around in high numbers, and people choose mounts based off coded advantages.  This I am pretty sure about because I see it happen all the time.

Back to supply stuff.

Something about pack weights, ect?

If stabling cost reflected how much food/water the help files say mounts consume you would see a lot more balance with what people choose to ride.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Most my non-delf PCs go without mounts.

I think it is part of the reason I have so many self defense PKs....cause everyone thinks only a newb would be silly enough to go without a mount, not a 60 day dwarf warrior.

Hey Amos, look, must be a newb or a (censored) East...lets get em!
run
e;e;kill dude.
Few seconds later
Welcome to Armageddon!

I still laugh while looting the bodies though.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

This thread confuses me. (not the derails.) I initially read some interesting ideas, but I felt then that they weren't necessarily applicable to Zalanthas and its people. Then there was some discussion that had more to do with IG info, game mechanics, and so on, and now X-D, who doesn't often ride mounts, seems dead sure that we need to drop their stam and encumbrance loads.

I really hope that nothing changes, because I am not at all convinced that there ever was any problem or that these fixes are the right ones. Also because I think X-D's kill count is high enough without a mount stam buff.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

The rules don't apply to X-D. He's a murderous outlier.

Actually I said increase enc on mounts.

Doing the research for the real world. Through out much of history and before, Humans have used animals as "beasts of burden"  Animals from dogs, which many cultures used to pull carts/sleds to cattle, horses and even certain types of deer and antelope...camels and elephants. But other then in  war/battle, they did not actually often ride them. Even though they could in most cases. Instead they packed the heavy and cumbersome loads on them and lead them...stopping when the animal got tired...not when they did. This was an easy way to move and travel. Even today that is the case for the few existing tribes.

Now, do I think there Needs to be a change in game...no, not really.
Do I agree that a change to bring this thing a bit closer to reality, that humans (and other races) Should be able to walk a bit farther and mounts a bit less...Yes.
But it is not a game breaker to me in either direction, Leave it, change it, does not matter to me.

Though, It IS far easier for my PC to kill your mounted PC then unmounted...if you are worried about the kills :)
Lizzie:

One word...

Rickshaw.

A tribe of city elves parting people from their coin by hauling them around town at full speed, and sometimes into dark alleyways...
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on June 03, 2013, 07:15:26 PM
One word...

Rickshaw.

A tribe of city elves parting people from their coin by hauling them around town at full speed, and sometimes into dark alleyways...

:D

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 03, 2013, 12:09:26 PM
If stabling cost reflected how much food/water the help files say mounts consume you would see a lot more balance with what people choose to ride.

Oh that would be very cool. VERY COOL.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I pretty much like it the way it is. 

There's no question it's unrealistic that we can go between cities in a day, but it makes for trade and plots and interaction between PCs.

If you like the RP of gruelling travel, you can certainly choose to walk and play it out.

A bigger problem for me is tents. They are too heavy. First, I doubt sandcloth is as heavy as canvas...in fact, on most things in game, that is exactly the case, sandcloth clothing is lighter then canvas.

IRL I have had 2 man canvas tents...from years back, before such things were nylon and aluminam,, So, canvas, steel poles and stakes, linen rope. And they never weighed more then 20lbs.

Yet the lightest of tents IG is somewhere between 20 and 30 stone (50-70lbs). Twice as much as it should be if you ask me.
Lizzie:

Zalanthan wood is a billion times denser than real life wood because it ~evolved to be tougher~

Which is why it takes two axe swings to chop down a baobab tree.

:P

zalanthan humans tougher harsh desert world

Yet strangely puny when it comes to carrying camping gear.

i . . . but game. . . fun.. . muscles... ba... balance. . . realism? ?

Quote from: X-D on June 04, 2013, 12:20:56 AM
A bigger problem for me is tents. They are too heavy. First, I doubt sandcloth is as heavy as canvas...in fact, on most things in game, that is exactly the case, sandcloth clothing is lighter then canvas.

IRL I have had 2 man canvas tents...from years back, before such things were nylon and aluminam,, So, canvas, steel poles and stakes, linen rope. And they never weighed more then 20lbs.

Yet the lightest of tents IG is somewhere between 20 and 30 stone (50-70lbs). Twice as much as it should be if you ask me.

Honestly that might be a much simpler adjustment that would address the roughly same issue. Change tents so that their weight and cost actually makes sense.

Yeah, tents are a considerable investment, and weigh a bit (I had no clue how much they weigh). I've been shopping around, trying to find the best price, it's insane. One of my characters carried something around that was about ten stone, but it was worn on the head. Probably should have broken his neck, looking at these numbers.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword