How do you feel about PC killing?

Started by Wastrel, May 30, 2013, 03:53:34 PM

June 03, 2013, 06:23:25 PM #100 Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:28:26 PM by X-D
You can "quit die" While morted...just FYI.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Fredd on June 03, 2013, 03:53:25 PM
I wish you could actually enslave a pc. And them not be force stored like. "If you want to keep playing, lets do this" that could make some very interesting rp.

Why would someone not have the option to keep playing? I can't even think of a reason beyond 'I don't want to deal with slave PCs' for this.

And that is a really, really weak reason for a blatant OOC roadblock to what could be IC awesomeness.

I had a mercenary on another game, who worked for the losing side of a small conflict between criminal elements. She was captured, sold into black market slavery and ended up falling in love with her owner. She couldn't live chained and eventually rebelled, killing him to great regret (as well as his wife to absolutely no regret at all!) and escaping. She lived on the run for a really long time, killed several bounty hunter PCs, soldiers and other important stabby-killy types, as well as helping a lot of people out along the way to redeem herself for killing the man she loved. She had a bit of a dark hero type reputation when she was assassinated... while buying bread of all things.

If the staff there had forced the character to be stored, none of that would have happened and a lot of people would have missed out on all the fun, as well as all the spin-off conflicts, dramas and neat stuff that came from it.

I would be absolutely livid if I didn't have the option to just play out my characters enslavement, given how much slavery is a part of the lore here.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Vwest on June 03, 2013, 06:53:22 PM
I wish you could actually enslave a pc. And them not be force stored like. "If you want to keep playing, lets do this" that could make some very interesting rp.

Why would someone not have the option to keep playing? I can't even think of a reason beyond 'I don't want to deal with slave PCs' for this.

And that is a really, really weak reason for a blatant OOC roadblock to what could be IC awesomeness.

I had a mercenary on another game, who worked for the losing side of a small conflict between criminal elements. She was captured, sold into black market slavery and ended up falling in love with her owner. She couldn't live chained and eventually rebelled, killing him to great regret (as well as his wife to absolutely no regret at all!) and escaping. She lived on the run for a really long time, killed several bounty hunter PCs, soldiers and other important stabby-killy types, as well as helping a lot of people out along the way to redeem herself for killing the man she loved. She had a bit of a dark hero type reputation when she was assassinated... while buying bread of all things.

If the staff there had forced the character to be stored, none of that would have happened and a lot of people would have missed out on all the fun, as well as all the spin-off conflicts, dramas and neat stuff that came from it.

I would be absolutely livid if I didn't have the option to just play out my characters enslavement, given how much slavery is a part of the lore here.

I believe the official staff reasoning was something along the lines of almost every pc slave running away, or something.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on June 03, 2013, 07:13:22 PM
Quote from: Vwest on June 03, 2013, 06:53:22 PM

I believe the official staff reasoning was something along the lines of almost every pc slave running away, or something.

Maybe someone could write up some guidelines that would alleviate staff burden and renegotiate. I mean if they get stored either way the problem has to be some other sort of staff work. If people feel strongly about wanting to play slaves. I think though that the argument will have to be more compelling than, "Please! Please! We promise we'll walk it and feed it!"
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Nice story, Vwest.  My favorite part is getting whacked while buying bread.  It needs a slow motion mafia flick shootout.

Yeah I mean, if slave docs is as strict as elf-running docs then why not, amirite?

Naw, staff have said that slave roles in general take a lot of help staff-side to keep things interesting, and having that be a common, or even moderately frequent occurrence was too much burden of staff, for roles that ended up being incredibly short-lived, or just ended up running from their masters anyways.

Howver it seems Slaves are actually a thing now, but it's by role-call only. Which is perfectly fine in my opinion. We've got slaves but it's going to take a dedicated person to the role to get one.

Quote from: X-D on June 03, 2013, 06:23:25 PM
You can "quit die" While morted...just FYI.

Oh, true.  I forgot.  Never really felt the need to use that currently, since you can heal (usually) while under current negative HP (in the few times you don't outright die), but if there were a new, never recover HP (without help) category, it would almost be a necessity.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

For me it depends on the character.  I try not to break character.  I did let someone live once, that in hind site I should have killed, but it was a grey area.   I've killed those I should have let live, but again it was in a grey area.   For the most part I try to not break character.   

I have been pk'ed a few times from not spam fleeing raiders.  Or getting attacked with arrows from hidden RF or SOH elves.  I got assassinated once with pretty good rp.   I liked that character, but he sure did deserve it.  I've got insta-killed by a half-giant, which I thought was questionable rp, but not player complaint worthy and the scene was still really good.

I don't avoid interaction.  I've only died from desert talk 3 times and the other times have had really intense rp sessions where I got robbed of my food and water or they took my sword or whatever. 

Player killing is part of arm its what makes the game so good.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Wastrel on June 03, 2013, 08:53:20 PM
desert talk?
Standing there and talking to the raider/victim in the desert.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

so desert talk is like a meme for when talking in the wilderness goes wrong

I think you're looking a little too deep into it.

better watch out or i'll desert talk u

Quote from: Wastrel on June 03, 2013, 08:55:12 PM
so desert talk is like a meme for when talking in the wilderness goes wrong

I think spam-fleeing from mid-desert interaction is more of a cliche. Don't know if I would say its a meme. Desert talk is the opposite. Sticking around when you know it may well end up badly for your PC. It's generally considered good form, the purview of ballsy, experienced players.

The two, though opposite, are not necessarily mutually exclusive. It's possible to stick around, then flee, or flee, get caught, then stick around.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Remember, though:

Quote from: Nyr on July 29, 2012, 04:00:30 PM
Quote from: Nyr on September 13, 2010, 10:53:27 AM
Fleeing is roleplaying!  I roleplay a lot, I know this.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 03, 2013, 09:19:41 PM
Remember, though:

Quote from: Nyr on July 29, 2012, 04:00:30 PM
Quote from: Nyr on September 13, 2010, 10:53:27 AM
Fleeing is roleplaying!  I roleplay a lot, I know this.

QFE

If your character would run like a jozhal hopped up on Krelez, by all means, run.

Quote from: Drexel Spivey in [i]True Romance[/i]"This motherfucker's carryin' on like he ain't got a care in the world. Who know? Maybe he don't. Maybe this fool's such a bad motherfucker, he don't got to worry about nothin', he just sit down, eat my Chinese, watch my TV."
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Gary Oldman as a pimp.  I thought he was black the first three times I saw that movie.  Rocked my world, man

June 03, 2013, 11:34:46 PM #118 Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:57:28 PM by Harmless
If you're my target for raiding, and you spamflee, then I won. I am clearly so intimidating and fucking awesome that I strike terror into the hearts of random strangers in the wastes. I have no problem with people spamfleeing from me.

If I meant to actually kill you, spamfleeing won't make any difference anyway.

edited to add: If you're upset your mark evaded you by just running away, then you didn't plan your assault well, or you're underpowered for the job, or you're just new to the game. I never, ever fault anyone for spamfleeing. In some situations, I'd do it myself; though I find my chances of living have been better with patience and planning; spamfleeing in the past has gotten me a quick mantishead. (unless the target is an NPC. Just run from NPCs, and run far; focus on getting distance. They are mostly mindless, appropriately. Every PC I spamfleed from... well, they found me.)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

All good raiding/being raided starts with good old desert talk.  Its like foreplay for getting your shit stolen/stealing shit.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

The hooded guy arrives from the east.

>run
You begin running.

The hooded guy says in sirihish:
     "Your money or your life."

n;n;n;e;hide

naww...

The hooded guy arrives from the east.

>flee self;n;n;n;e;e;s;e;e;e;s;e

June 04, 2013, 01:07:10 AM #123 Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:32:19 AM by Delirium
Desert talk also leads to unlikely friendships and camaraderie. Or to being raided. It's like roulette with candy and bullets.

edit to be on topic:

I don't mind killing PCs.

I feel guilty when I'm unable to give them a reasonably colorful scene when doing so. Sometimes I'll even regret the end of interacting with the PC. The accidental deaths (of which there have been quite few, admittedly) always make me facepalm and feel horrible.

But generally speaking, since I tend to avoid resorting to the killbutton unless there's a solid reason for hitting it, I'm fine about doing so.

This is ArmageddonMUD, after all. We don't play cozy around here.

One time on a previous char, a man tried to kill me near Red Storm. We were sifting spice when he pulled a throwing knife, said something about the poison on it being my end, and tossed it. It missed. We then had a kind of sissy fight with knives, before I pulled a lumber axe and hit him hard and he ran, and I chased him down and finished him with the axe. I remember thinking "Wow...that escalated quickly."
The Devil doesn't dawdle.