Great game! New player's perspective.

Started by Optimae, May 26, 2013, 05:17:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I've only been playing for a couple of days and I have to say I'm stunned by the immersion ArmageddonMUD has achieved. It was a bit daunting at first in terms of RP. Everyone I've seen so far in-game seems really experienced and knows all the in's and outs. I felt rather mediocre in my first two interactions, what with having to constantly check the website for help on emoting and working out how *my character* would interact (not me). But I think with a bit more practice I'll finally get the hang out it :).

I come from playing IRE muds and Armageddon wipes them out in terms of RP. Sure, there's "RP" over there, though mostly it's rather OOC and it's easy to slip into your default mode instead of who your character is. Here it's incredibly realistic and the players behind the characters are so fun to watch and interact with. Even minor interactions, in the street, people noticing you ... or if you end up in the wrong neighbourhood. Everything has consequences and as a player I actually care a lot more that my character doesn't die. I'm not blindly rushing through streets like you would in other games where death is a minor hindrance.

Props to the admins/staff and players for developing this world atmosphere. I honestly cannot wait to play more, and find out where my PC's story leads as he interacts with other PCs who all have their own stories, motivations, goals... I'm impressed without even having scratched the surface yet!

Anyway, this is all stuff you've probably heard before from other new guys . Felt the need to share though. See you all in Zalanthas 8).

Addendum: the new website influenced by decision to sign up. I probably would have browsed away on the old website. The visual style, aspect and content layout on the current website made it appealing to find out more and stick around for a couple of hours reading what the game was all about.

Welcome.

It's good to hear we are providing a good standard of RP and an immersive world. I sort of envy you for all the things you will discover as new and fresh.

If I have one piece of advice, it's remember not to take setbacks or cruelty from PCs too hard or personally. You seem to already have the character/player seperation already figured out though, which puts you ahead of me when I first started.  :)

We have a good group of Helpers available as well if you have questions for them as well.

My parting words are: If you come across a dead person. Take his boots.  :D
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

One cool part is...

You really have just scratched the surface.

When you get a little deeper - into the game world, into your character's head -  it's so much better.
This is magnificent, and it's true! It never happened, yet it is still true! What magic art is this?
Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadowtruths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. Sandman

Welcome and thank you!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I was and am the same! I've barely scratched the surface of the vast ocean that is Armageddon's roleplay. It feels like, not matter how long I play, there will always be something new. I've not played such a RP intensive MUD before (also played IRE), and it's so much more fun to do so.

Glad to see your enjoying it as much as me!  ;D
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

I love reading positive newbie impressions. I saw one IG recently, didn't look like he had such a great time and was a bit intimidated by the piles of docs. I hope he's having more fun now.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 26, 2013, 09:10:41 AM
I love reading positive newbie impressions. I saw one IG recently, didn't look like he had such a great time and was a bit intimidated by the piles of docs. I hope he's having more fun now.

Same here.
Fredd-

This warms me to the cockles of my jaded old veteran's heart.

I remember being brand new to this game and blown away by the quality of the RP and by the attentive staff as well. Even the room descriptions and the gameworld itself just constantly wowed me. I'm glad you found us and welcome to the fold!

If you have any questions or confusions please don't hesitate to hop in Helper Chat or post on the GDB.

Welcome to Armageddon! I'm very happy that you're enjoying playing with us.

Welcome. You sound like you'll be a great addition. I'm glad you found us.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: zarkov on May 26, 2013, 08:44:20 AM
It feels like, not matter how long I play, there will always be something new.

Been here a few years and I -still- feel like this.

Welcome!

But watch your back. :o
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on May 26, 2013, 11:07:10 AM
Quote from: zarkov on May 26, 2013, 08:44:20 AM
It feels like, not matter how long I play, there will always be something new.

Been here a few years and I -still- feel like this.
Fredd-

Welcome! And thank you!

As a staff member here all I can say is that we greatly appreciate your comments and thoughts.  I'm especially pleased that the new website was a drawcard for getting you to try out the game.  It was a big change for us to move to that new platform and I'm glad it's paying off in a positive way!  Please make use of the helpers via the online chat tool if you need that one on one help, and don't forget our newbie forum for other questions, everyone here is pretty happy to help.

I have one question for you - what drew you to the website/game in the first place? Did you visit us from somewhere else such as Top Mud Sites?
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I must comment as a newer player... I find the RP here to be thoroughly immersing, and must admit I was never able to get into RP and thought it was silly for the longest time. I'm glad I decided to give this game a shot. The reason I did is because it has perma-death... And I enjoy games like slash'em, nethack, and diablo 2 hc. It seems like it'd be a drawback, but when you really have something to lose those frantic last moments are much more engaging, and though I may be upset I had a wild ride.

I think the strictly RP environment has actually helped me appreciate it. Many other games I've seen have been either based around huge emotes, and/or had a string of OOC chatter that was more engaging than the game itself, and I never could grasp the concept there. Here I think I can, with a bit more work. I love learning new things about the game world IG and IC, but I still find myself with numerous questions involving the code that cannot be answered in that fashion. The helper staff has been a great boon in those areas.

I'd like to thank everyone I've played with (even the ones who hate my characters), the helper staff (for dealing with my ceaseless barrage of oddball questions and answering them so helpfully), and the admins (despite my drunken emails involving my frustration with a deceased character, they've been very reasonable and haven't seemed to take it personally), for making this game so fun and involving.

Thing that drew me here was a guy bitching about his long lived character dying, and how filled with hate and venom he was, quoting some crazy sci-fi story on another mud, and I was like, whoa! Perma-death? How do I get started? And he's like, no, don't do it, it will consume your soul, so I was like, HELL YEAH! So now you have to deal with me, sorry, just the way things are.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Permadeath is the best.  In other muds...

Andy backstabs/poisons/magicks/mindbends Amos
Amos dies
Amos is a ghost
Amos tells xyz "omg Andy's really a double-crossing backstabber magicker thief mindmelter!!!!"
Andy never can do that again.

There is a sense of loss when characters your character cares about which is impossible without permadeath.

There is a heightened want for survival which is impossible without permadeath.

Arm's the bee's knees yo.  Just make sure it does not keep you from doing your work/school.

Quote from: Ktavialt on May 26, 2013, 12:53:21 PM
Permadeath is the best.  In other muds...

Andy backstabs/poisons/magicks/mindbends Amos
Amos dies
Amos is a ghost
Amos tells xyz "omg Andy's really a double-crossing backstabber magicker thief mindmelter!!!!"
Andy never can do that again.

There is a sense of loss when characters your character cares about which is impossible without permadeath.

There is a heightened want for survival which is impossible without permadeath.

Arm's the bee's knees yo.  Just make sure it does not keep you from doing your work/school.

I stopped playing other muds because of the ooc knowledge use, and that rp was lacking.

That being said. Dibs on this guys boots.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Ktavialt on May 26, 2013, 12:53:21 PM

About that... I just started Arm too, and half the time I can't seem to tear myself away from it! Which can be problematic sometimes...

Crackaddon
Fredd-

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Bah. Awesome threads and new players like this make me wish I had the time to play.
Damn you all to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(not really on the damnation part)

The short, bearded man stares longingly at the mantishead-etched needle and rakes his teeth over his lower lip before finally....reluctantly turning away to leave.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Thanks for the positive comments. They made my morning!

Nice post. Welcome aboard!
Death is only the beginning...

Thanks for the welcomes everyone ;D. It's great to hear about similar experiences from fellow newcomers too. And yeah, I'll watch my back as best as my PC can. Hopefully when the time comes I'll get an opportunity to react/interact even if death is guaranteed. I think that's the main thing that would upset me. Having no chance for my PC to even -try- to talk their way out of it. Though, of course, that rarely happens in real life. A quick knife ... and bam, boots stolen.

Quote from: Adhira on May 26, 2013, 11:59:41 AM
Welcome! And thank you!

As a staff member here all I can say is that we greatly appreciate your comments and thoughts.  I'm especially pleased that the new website was a drawcard for getting you to try out the game.  It was a big change for us to move to that new platform and I'm glad it's paying off in a positive way!  Please make use of the helpers via the online chat tool if you need that one on one help, and don't forget our newbie forum for other questions, everyone here is pretty happy to help.

I have one question for you - what drew you to the website/game in the first place? Did you visit us from somewhere else such as Top Mud Sites?

Hi! Yes, I was idly browsing Top Mud Sites, looking at the top MUDs as I do from time to time. Eventually I clicked on Armageddon to check it out and the website did the rest from there. Now I'm pretty sure that I -had-, in the past, visited the old website and navigated away.

There's really no comparison between:

Armageddon is a highly modified DIKU MUD, a form of multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG), designed to provide a roleplaying experience in the harsh desert world of Zalanthas. The game is entirely textual, providing a coded backdrop in which players enact their characters' storylines. Players are required to stay in character on the game, but chatting about the game and its community takes place on the discussion boards. To get started, telnet to armageddon.org 4050 and create an account (the game is free). Once you have an account, you can create a character and begin playing.

and

Armageddon MUD is an online fantasy game in which players jointly inhabit a harsh, post-apocalyptic desert world. The game requires roleplay; while conflict abounds, the game is not about killing things. Rather, it is about living out a character's sometimes short and always difficult life in the harsh world, Zalanthas. It is a world where sorcerer-kings and their ruthless servants, the Templarate, govern the two main cities, Allanak and Tuluk. Any magick not granted by the Kings is feared and hated, and where the punishment of such a curse might be death. In this harsh realm, life is a constant struggle, and death may occur over a drink of precious water.

-

The first is rather technical and to the point, while the second one tells you a story, captures your imagination. The "What You Know" section was great to learn more about the world, and spreading out player artwork was a good call. As being made from players, they help capture the essence of the game and transmit that in ways text alone cannot. Also, it helps to sell the game by demonstrating that there are people who have dedicated dozens of hours of their time to creating wonderful art for their hobby.

Maybe I'm over-analysing but I found it interesting to be "sold to" as I've studied marketing and have several projects that involve selling stuff in the broadest sense of the word (e.g. selling ideas).

Welcome. ;D
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Welcome to Armageddon!
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I too have thought our influx of newbies may have a lot to do with our shiny new website.

We're getting a much better class of Newbies than ever before.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

And they are sticking around. We must be murdering them suitably quick.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died