Must...keep my identity a secret!

Started by Doublepalli, May 20, 2013, 12:08:20 PM

Ex:  Uber-awsome licensed tuluki assassin wants to keep his identiy secret.
Templar gives your name to someone who wants to hire you.

"A foreign presence has contacted your mind" And now he knows -exactly- what you look like!

If your trying to keep two identities....how the heck are you supposed to, if someone can easily just find your mind?
Are we supposed to ignore the sdesc and roleplay accordingly? Or do we -really- know what a man or woman looks like simply by finding their mind?

Twink barrier upon startup to master of master level and never keep it down.

I don't like how close to impossible staying anonymous is either. I wish something were done about it, but so far, good luck to you.

Also, Templars will relay the messages, people don't get to talk to their assassins themselves.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Short answer: You don't get to keep your identity a secret.

Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Alright, and what of the second part of the question...do you really know what a person looks like by finding their mind, or do you just ignore the sdesc and hopefully a mature player will Rp accordingly?

You would know their major, distinguishing features (sdesc), though you may not know fine details (mdesc). It would be enough to pick them out of room, but maybe not the tall, muscular man you want out of the seven tall, muscular men in the sparring hall.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Yes, you get a mental image of them in your mind and know their short description.

That doesn't mean you should report someone to a Templar by saying, "He was a short, muscular-fat-eyed-muppet-topped man!".  I always try to keep my mental images vague especially if I have never really seen the person before.  Actually, I have not really used contact or mental conversations to describe anyone before.  If I did though I would be vague about it.

The only thing I could recommend would be to hire yourself a trusted go-between to deliver messages back and forth.  I know from interactions with people involved in nefarious activities that I most of the time had to really earn the trust of someone before I actually was able to contact them directly.  Use a liaison is really the only way to keep secret, and even then... if they aren't a competent liaison then you're screwed too.

Quote from: AreteX on May 20, 2013, 12:28:56 PM
The only thing I could recommend would be to hire yourself a trusted go-between to deliver messages back and forth...

Use a liaison is really the only way to keep secret, and even then... if they aren't a competent liaison then you're screwed too.
That's the key to staying anonymous.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 20, 2013, 12:46:15 PM
Quote from: AreteX on May 20, 2013, 12:28:56 PM
The only thing I could recommend would be to hire yourself a trusted go-between to deliver messages back and forth...

Use a liaison is really the only way to keep secret, and even then... if they aren't a competent liaison then you're screwed too.
That's the key to staying anonymous.

Agreed. Assasin's absolutely need middlemen, more than anyone else in the game (well, except maybe burglars for hire. Most people hate them more than assasins)

Forget to add your moniker as your keyword.

::)
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Set up a timed meeting spot, stay hidden, and don't use your real name.

False mustache, fake elf ears, BAM, perfect disguise.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 20, 2013, 04:06:39 PM
Set up a timed meeting spot, stay hidden, and don't use your real name.

While I think this should be allowed until the Way is "fixed" so as not to be an instant "get his sdesc" tool, even if they have never met you, I do believe this is considered bad form.

If you use a name I think you are supposed to add it as a keyword. Why? Well, I don't know.

Staff correct me if I am wrong.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

May 20, 2013, 04:24:48 PM #12 Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:26:26 PM by Fredd
Most templars act as a laison between contractor and assassin/thieves. Adding in there own fee. Or at least, will if you ask.

That being said, using your middle man to set up a meeting in a shadowy place, where you cloak, mask, and hide is always a -whole- lot of fun. But then again, I'm in love with assassin/burglar rp.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Desertman on May 20, 2013, 04:13:22 PM
If you use a name I think you are supposed to add it as a keyword. Why? Well, I don't know.

I wouldn't add my short term criminal alias as a keyword. Even if I don't change it that often.

edit: what I meant is, i wouldn't add it even if it wasn't really short term.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 20, 2013, 04:28:52 PM

I wouldn't add my short term criminal alias as a keyword. Even if I don't change it that often.

I always add any alias I go by as a keyword. If people know me by that name, then rightfully, i should have it coded that they can look at me with it.

That being said, I do give fake ones at times, but I tell the person something like " You may call my fizzlepop, though that is not now, nor has it ever been, my name"

Or something like that.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

All the metagamey stuff to avoid detection is annoying and makes you just want to kill said people.

The best way to keep your identity a secret? Don't try to be an in-your-face untouchable can't-catch-me-can't-talk-to-me badass speedwalking everywhere. Make friends and play it smart instead, threats will melt away. You can even hide in plain view.

Quote from: Case on May 20, 2013, 04:52:01 PM
All the metagamey stuff to avoid detection is annoying and makes you just want to kill said people.

The best way to keep your identity a secret? Don't try to be an in-your-face untouchable can't-catch-me-can't-talk-to-me badass speedwalking everywhere. Make friends and play it smart instead, threats will melt away. You can even hide in plain view.

That's the best way to do it. And have a good cover job.

Quote from: Fredd on May 20, 2013, 04:47:27 PM

I always add any alias I go by as a keyword. If people know me by that name, then rightfully, i should have it coded that they can look at me with it.

That being said, I do give fake ones at times, but I tell the person something like " You may call my fizzlepop, though that is not now, nor has it ever been, my name"

Or something like that.

At what point fizzlepop becomes a part of your being? When you use it more than once? What if the other guy says "I don't care, to me you're fizzlepop and you've got blue eyes"? We've had this discussion a while ago, and since staff had said that there are no "true" names, I'd remove them from the way completely. I know it will complicate finding clan recruiters but I'd hate to give someone my one-job alias and then have his friend later recognize me in a group of hooded figures solely by that.

QuoteAddkeyword                                                       (Characters)

Your keywords are how others refer to your characters in the game. When
you created your character you started with your name, the words in your
short description and a few other words that you specified.
   As your character goes through the game there may be times when your
character would like to go by another name for whatever reason.  This
command allows you to do that on the fly.
   It is considered courteous and helpful to add names/nicknames as
keywords. If your character uses a name or nickname to introduce
his/herself to the majority of people they meet, the best practice would
be to add that as a keyword.  Some situations and special circumstances
may keep players from adding a name or nickname as a keyword (such as
a criminal trade-name, a secret name, or secret names of those in a secret
society). In cases where a character uses a name/nickname as his/her
sole means of identification, this name should always be a character
keyword.

If the lack of a commonly used keyword becomes a problem, staff may
request that you add the keyword to your character.  Staff will send a
notification via e-mail to your listed e-mail account before initiating
any changes.  Appeals for removal of such a keyword can be send to the
request tool, but the final decision on this remains in the hands of
staff members.
Syntax:
   addkeyword <keyword>

Example:
   > addkeyword Amos
Keyword 'Amos' added.

Notes:
   You are not allowed to add keywords that are the names of your previous
characters.  We only allow this on review from staff, so to request this
use the request tool:  http://www.armageddon.org/request

Once you have added a keyword you cannot remove it except by staff
intervention, and we are very relucant to do this.  You must have a very
good reason why you want to remove a keyword you added.

Please try and remember our naming conventions when adding aliases
to your character.  Do not use names that are anachronistic, verbally
abusive, or otherwise offensive.

It should go without saying, but adding keywords to gain something
that belongs to someone else, or other abuses of this command will not
be tolerated.

See also:
   keywords
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 20, 2013, 04:57:07 PM
Quote from: Fredd on May 20, 2013, 04:47:27 PM

Or something like that.

At what point fizzlepop becomes a part of your being? When you use it more than once? What if the other guy says "I don't care, to me you're fizzlepop and you've got blue eyes"? We've had this discussion a while ago, and since staff had said that there are no "true" names, I'd remove them from the way completely. I know it will complicate finding clan recruiters but I'd hate to give someone my one-job alias and then have his friend later recognize me in a group of hooded figures solely by that.

Personally, by telling the person specifically that it is -not- your name, and never was, nor ever will be. You are clearly letting them know IC and OOC it's a false name. So it never is. Also, I like to come up with random, stupid names each time I do a fake name. tregil, jozhal, chalton,vestric. Whatever.

Your character doesn't decide what is not their name, never was or never will be. Just as you can't disown your birth name that someone else gave you, you shouldn't be able to ignore that some people now call you "fizzlepops" and your mental image springs into their heads every time they think of that.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 20, 2013, 05:08:17 PM
Your character doesn't decide what is not their name, never was or never will be. Just as you can't disown your birth name that someone else gave you, you shouldn't be able to ignore that some people now call you "fizzlepops" and your mental image springs into their heads every time they think of that.

This is why we have wigs, cloaks, and masks. Hard to pull up a mental imagine of a fake image. What I'm saying is. If you tell someone it isn't your name, and the next time you meet them, say for pay, you give them ANOTHER fake name. Then it really isn't your name, is it?

Argue symantics all you want spice, but the docs are clear that if it's not a name you will go by regularly, you don't have to add it.

Wigs, cloaks and masks unfortunately give you as much anonymity as other players want to give you.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 20, 2013, 05:17:35 PM
Wigs, cloaks and masks unfortunately give you as much anonymity as other players want to give you.

This is 100% true. And I was burned by bad rp in the past when I had a bald guy with a wig, mask, cloak, ect be ided with a simple glance as I ran away. Yes, it does happen. No, staff wont step in (trust me) But in 4-5 years of playing Burglars and assassins, it's only happened once.

Quote from: Fredd on May 20, 2013, 05:29:41 PM
Quote from: spicemustflow on May 20, 2013, 05:17:35 PM

This is 100% true. And I was burned by bad rp in the past when I had a bald guy with a wig, mask, cloak, ect be ided with a simple glance as I ran away. Yes, it does happen. No, staff wont step in (trust me) But in 4-5 years of playing Burglars and assassins, it's only happened once.

It's not even that I think that most players are twinks that will ignore such attempts at disguise, it's just that in a hectic scene it isn't always possible to read the inventory of the guy who tried to kill you. So most people wouldn't even notice your wig, fake mole and elven ears.

Quote from: Nyr on May 20, 2013, 04:58:33 PM
QuoteAddkeyword                                                       (Characters)

Your keywords are how others refer to your characters in the game. When
you created your character you started with your name, the words in your
short description and a few other words that you specified.
   As your character goes through the game there may be times when your
character would like to go by another name for whatever reason.  This
command allows you to do that on the fly.
   It is considered courteous and helpful to add names/nicknames as
keywords. If your character uses a name or nickname to introduce
his/herself to the majority of people they meet, the best practice would
be to add that as a keyword.  Some situations and special circumstances
may keep players from adding a name or nickname as a keyword (such as
a criminal trade-name, a secret name, or secret names of those in a secret
society). In cases where a character uses a name/nickname as his/her
sole means of identification, this name should always be a character
keyword.

If the lack of a commonly used keyword becomes a problem, staff may
request that you add the keyword to your character.  Staff will send a
notification via e-mail to your listed e-mail account before initiating
any changes.  Appeals for removal of such a keyword can be send to the
request tool, but the final decision on this remains in the hands of
staff members.
Syntax:
   addkeyword <keyword>

Example:
   > addkeyword Amos
Keyword 'Amos' added.

Notes:
   You are not allowed to add keywords that are the names of your previous
characters.  We only allow this on review from staff, so to request this
use the request tool:  http://www.armageddon.org/request

Once you have added a keyword you cannot remove it except by staff
intervention, and we are very relucant to do this.  You must have a very
good reason why you want to remove a keyword you added.

Please try and remember our naming conventions when adding aliases
to your character.  Do not use names that are anachronistic, verbally
abusive, or otherwise offensive.

It should go without saying, but adding keywords to gain something
that belongs to someone else, or other abuses of this command will not
be tolerated.

See also:
   keywords

I don't always like it when Nyr yanks out documentation on me.

But when I do, he does it like this.

:)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

It is a flawed system. Even with barrier, fully covered head to toe and hidden. Someone will spam look, way and use all that to assume they know specifics of that person.

But I suppose contact shadow, or whatever descriptor of clothing (intended to hide identity) there is in an attempt to identify someone is the double edged blade.

Do we suggest doing away with the ability to way the shadow or someone based on clothing items that hide identity making it possible then to actually make those items more useful in hiding the identity, or just shrug and accept it as it is.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

You can't.

All you need is a keyword and you have them identified and can know when they're online, to either hunt them or avoid them and believe you me, people take full advantage of it.

Even with a middleman, as soon as he or she is known as the point of contact, all they have to do is 'think' about you and you're outed due to mind reading.

I would:

A) Remove 'mind bending' from the game full stop.

B) Allow a 'contact' short description during creation, so you can have a mental image of yourself that differs a little from your real short description.

It could work on a similar basis as description changes, where you can change just half of it and only during creation or within a couple hours of creation, similar to reroll rules. The tall, muscular man becomes the tall, rugged man and the squat, blue-eyed woman becomes the petite, blue-eyed woman. Enough no one can really be sure it's the same person without confirmation, without getting silly.

Until there are coded means to hide some or all of your descriptions in person (without joining a certain clan or otherwise having insane connections to get extremely rare items), throw on a cloak and mask and hope the people you're interacting with aren't going to burn you. 50/50, good luck.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 20, 2013, 05:08:17 PM

But not if they have never had a mental image of you to begin with.

My original comment by the way was in jest; but if you say, "It's not my name, but call me Ishmael," I think you have leeway to not add it. If they don't know your truename, *shrug*. More power to the truenames!
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Give them the name of someone you don't like and the instructions never to contact you :).
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 20, 2013, 07:03:44 PM
Give them the name of someone you don't like and the instructions never to contact you :).

You win.

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Vwest on May 20, 2013, 06:08:25 PM

A) Remove 'mind bending' from the game full stop.

These types of characters are rare and players and their characters shouldn't really know how they operate. Most regular folks in the world would probably not have 'mind readers' on their radar or as something they even know exists for sure unless they have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with one.

This would be helped along by people not posting what you think these types of characters can do on the boards...e.g. mind reading or even talking about them at all. Help keep things a mystery. Even if you think it's obvious, it's not to everyone, especially new players, and you make them game less intriguing for them. A bit like telling kids there isn't a Santa...
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

To be fair, Maso, they are listed in the main homepage list of possible classes.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

This reminds of how people would introduce themselves only with nicknames or anything but a true name because they figured it gave them an edge on psions and magickers.

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 20, 2013, 08:30:00 PM
This reminds of how people would introduce themselves only with nicknames or anything but a true name because they figured it gave them an edge on psions and magickers.

I used to do this back in the day.  Funny considering that most folks die by sword to the face or a beetle removing limb.

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 20, 2013, 08:30:00 PM
It should be a non-punishable offense to murder said people, on principal, IC reason or not. (Joking. But not joking. Not the point, in any case...)

I think the docs hit the nail flat on the head. However, it might help to think of the implications of being able to contact with a 'birth name' versus a 'nickname' from an IC perspective. So, you can hone in on a concrete feature, like someone's "ginka tattoo", or a "woman" with "fiery-red hair", and it brings you to that person, or at least someone who looks like them. At the same time, you can hone in on a name given to someone at their birth, and it will work the same... yet at the same time, "necker" won't take you to a SINGLE elven mind, despite the fact that literally every elf in the game goes by it, whether they want to or not.  (Being sarcastic, still not the point.)

So, it's ultimately up to the player playing the situation, but I personally would assume that it has something to do with assimilating that identity on a personal level. For instance, if everyone in your Byn unit calls you 'Shitlips', and you personally are comfortable identifying yourself to others as "shitlips", shitlips becomes a part of you on a mental level.  Where-as, if you're an assassin who, by needs, creates the persona of 'The Teabagger' in order to draw attention away from his regular identity, you will not assimilate the keyword 'teabagger', because you will always be accutely aware of it as a separate proxy entity, and thus mentally guarded from assimilating it. (Unless you sit on a barstool in the sanctuary and tell people that's your name.) At the same time you will never assimilate "stump" unless you consciously begin to identify yourself as "Stump."

Unfortunately, people will always abuse addkeyword to the point of idiocy, from going solely by a nickname that never gets keyworded, to adding a new nickname every other week.
If one honestly follows the documented outline Nyr posted, no one could rightfully get mad at you for twinking up.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

May 21, 2013, 07:21:18 PM #36 Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:27:03 PM by Vwest
Quote from: Maso on May 20, 2013, 08:07:48 PM
These types of characters are rare and players and their characters shouldn't really know how they operate. Most regular folks in the world would probably not have 'mind readers' on their radar or as something they even know exists for sure unless they have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with one.

This would be helped along by people not posting what you think these types of characters can do on the boards...e.g. mind reading or even talking about them at all. Help keep things a mystery. Even if you think it's obvious, it's not to everyone, especially new players, and you make them game less intriguing for them. A bit like telling kids there isn't a Santa...

If you're reading this forum, you've been to the website and read the class and race docs because it's the first thing normal people do. It isn't some huge mystery you need years of experience to puzzle out and it isn't like the class is a new concept in the realm of fantasy literature, games and media in general. (edit: Google has my back)

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Psionicists

There is a Santa. And he knows. He knows.