Weather in Zalanthas

Started by astilwel, August 27, 2003, 11:48:24 AM

Okay, so I know the basics behind the weather patterns on Zalanthas... its frickin hot, there are sand storms, with Suk-Krath goes down things get dark and it is hard to see...my question is, how often are the storms so bad and it is so dark outside that when you attempt to walk north, sometimes you will end up walking south instead? I had this happen to my character for the first time, and it was very disorienting...I have been playing for a couple of months now, and that had -never- happened before. Most of the time if there is a sand storm at night, ya can't see but ya can at least move in the correct direction, right? What makes the storm so bad that you can't even move the direction that you type compared to other storms where ya can't see, but you can still travel in the direction that you type in.
Just curious.... :?
iles:"Into each generation a slayer is born. One girl, in all the world, a chosen one. One born with the..."

Buffy:"...the strength and skill to hunt the vampires, to stop the spread of evil, BLAH BLAH BLAH I've heard it before, okay?"

Wind
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Also depends on the lighting.  Usually if a moon is up there's enough light to move around.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Were you a ranger before?  According to the docs rangers "know where they are at all times" so they don't get lost in the dark.  
It's the dark that is getting you, the storms just make it more likely that it will be dark.  Most of the time if you light a torch, even if you still can't see the room description because of the storm, you will walk in the direction you intend to walk.  I guess that little bit of light lets you see the road at your feet and the outline of nearby buildings and objects, letting you navigate safely.  

Personally I can walk from my bedroom to the bathroom or kitchen in the dark, so why can't my character?  Well, most rooms are much bigger than my apartment, and I know my apartment pretty well.  I think of city rooms as being the size of a city block, wilderness rooms are on average a league, or a 3 mile by 3 mile square.  Caves and other dark places usually aren't so big, but they are usually unfamiliar and caves make noises echo in strange ways.  So if the code thinks you are in a position to get lost easily it sends you in a random direction: sometimes that will be the way you wanted to go, sometimes it bumps you into a wall, and sometimes you go the wrong way.  

The lesson?  Don't wander around blindly in the dark.  That is how toes get stubbed.  Carry a torch or stay someplace safe until morning.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

So this is what the help file says about weather:
QuoteWEATHER  (General)  
The two weather concerns of Zalanthans are the wind and the blowing sand which the wind drives. The wind can sometimes reach up to 90 miles per hour (roughly 150 km/h in real life), building into enormous gales across the flat wastes. When high winds pass over areas such as the Red Desert or the Sea of Eternal Dust, they invariably pick up huge amounts of gritty sand which they carry as mighty storms across the world.

The greater the wind velocity, the greater the chance will be of sandstorms developing. Sandstorms cut down on visibility and can tire even the hardiest traveler in seconds. During the harshest storms one cannot even see one's hand in front of one's face.

The wind itself can blow hot winds from the Salt Flats across the world, raising the temperatures in cities such as Allanak to well above 140 degrees (Fahrenheit, which is roughly 60 degrees Celsius).

Two things may help against these forces of nature: one, that the weather is almost always worse downwind than upwind, and second that the worst conditions can always be found on the lee side of places such as the Red Desert. Careful attention to the winds and weather will assist travelers greatly.

Yes, I know we have beaten the topic of temperature to death on other threads, but I am curious about wind...
How often does the wind get to 90 m/hr? Why haven't buildings fallen over/people just get blown away when it is this harsh out? I have this picture of a kank flying through the air.... I can picture all sorts of interesting RP with this going on...
Seriously though, when the storms are so bad that you can't see, does that mean the wind is going like 90 m/hr?
iles:"Into each generation a slayer is born. One girl, in all the world, a chosen one. One born with the..."

Buffy:"...the strength and skill to hunt the vampires, to stop the spread of evil, BLAH BLAH BLAH I've heard it before, okay?"

Personally I believe people take weather too lightly. If it is the middle of the night and there is a sand storm, do not assume you can "find your way to the compound blindfolded". That sand hurts. It hurts anyone, aclimatized or not. If you can't see anything because there is stinging sand swirling all around you, there's no way in hell you're going to make it clear across a city. Maybe in an absolutely dire situation, but otherwise, wait it out.

Speaking from my own experience, from snow rather than sand, I've been in storms where you could literally not open your eyes at all. Every time I did, they were filled with snow. Snow generally melts when it comes in contact with the body, but it still provided enough discomfort that I was barely able to walk a straight line. Sand does not melt. Sand builds up in crevices and stings eyes for longer periods of time.

So damn it, stop walking when you can't see a room's description. I hate to use the word, but if it makes folks listen, its downright TWINKISH to walk through a sandstorm when you can't see, moon up or moon down.

I'd agree with Kankman...excepting for the fact that sometimes people just need to log out or their characters need to get inside for some reason.  I know that when I am walking in a sandstorm, I emote how I'm able to find my way...walk in a straight line, eyes closed, until I run into a wall...turn, walk until the wall runs out...turn, etc.  It's not twinkish if done right.  Speedwalking from one end of 'nak to the next just because you know the route?  That's pushing it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I agree that people take the weather far too lightly.  A sand storm is a nasty ordeal.  If I am playing a solo character out in the wastes, unless I absolutely need to move, I tend hunker down and find shelter.  With groups that is less of an option.  Simply for OOC reasons you can't cancle a mission because of weather.  That said, I tend to try and play up the weather.  A harsh sandstorm should blast your brains out.  It should be nearly impossible to look into the wind, and things should be slow moving.  You also should be trying like made to keep all of your flesh covered.  Sand against fabric might not hurt that bad, but sand against skin is going to be mighty painful.

Quote from: "Kankman"
So damn it, stop walking when you can't see a room's description. I hate to use the word, but if it makes folks listen, its downright TWINKISH to walk through a sandstorm when you can't see, moon up or moon down.

Whoa, want a tick...Don't go automatically assuming twinkish behavior here... (blinks her eyes in surprise at how easily people start shouting TWINK... :shock: ) Mostly what I am talking about is when you get caught out, like when you are walking down the path and then all of a sudden "you can't see a thing, sand swirls around you" Stands to reason, you are going to be hauling ass to get to a place of safety, yes? So, that usually involves stumbling around in the sand/wind until you find such a safe place. Usually I try to emote stumbling around, cloak billowing, spitting/coughing etc...but wouldn't just standing where you are at be much less realistic..therefore, you will probably -have- to walk in it some...and I assume that the people of Zalanthas have some accomodations for walking around in sand storms, maybe thier eyes are less sensitive to sand and such than ours? Yeah, I think that if your character is indoors, and the weather is so bad out that you can't see...you shouldn't try to go until you can...but there are occasions when you -have- to move about.

My -question- comes in 1) How often is the storms so bad that you can't even stumble your way in a direction, that you get so turned around you can't even go the correct direction when needed..
2) What would the weather report be if the wind was -really- moving, at lets say 90 m/hr....and wouldn't there be some flying bodies/kanks in the air?

I'd think that sand in 90mph winds would be like getting grit blasted.  Aside from the obvious difficulty in standing in wind like that, I'd think that the sand would flay pretty much anything softer than a rock.

To answer your questions though:
1) The only time I have this happen is when there is no light source, and it's storming badly.  I've never been in a storm where I went the wrong way if the sun, a moon, or a torch was out.  On a side note, wind that bad would put a torch out pretty fast, but that's neither here nor there.

2) I assume you mean when you type "weather" what would the wording be for 90mph winds?  I don't know that one.  I know I've seen everything from the air being calm and dead, to a strong wind, to howling wind, to fierce sandstorm, and a couple even above that.  I don't recall the exact wording, and I have no idea what the absolute highest wind wording looks like.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]