Intimate

Started by Barzalene, May 17, 2013, 10:55:36 AM

Quote from: Dakota on May 17, 2013, 03:00:57 PM
I love intimacy in arm. I don't mean sex. I mean intimacy.

Perhaps its a fault, but some of my own personal traits come out in my PC's. Like I don't pretend to be best friends with someone if I've seen them a few times. I like that whole.. getting close to someone aspect. RPing it out. Testing them. Gauging them. Baiting them and seeing what they do in the aspect to the relationship you have with that person (just talking general friendship here).

I think all my PC's, even the ones that were long lived could count their "friends" on a single hand. And it took a long time and lots of RP to get them to be considered a friend.

That kind of intimate roleplay that really makes me feel like this game takes things to another level.

This is what I wanted to say, but you said it better.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Yeah, well said, and agreed.

Quote from: Fredd on May 17, 2013, 01:36:58 PM
I've had some very intimate relationships on Arm. I've had relationships that (literally) made my pc's go crazy. I've run the whole gamut on this. I do agree though, finding someone to kank is easier then finding someone your pc can be truly intimate with.

Exactly this.

I also agree with Lordcoopers comment as well.  I can't tell you how many times I've missenterpreted a text msg from someone because of how dificult it can be to read emotion through text.  Now try only comunicating an entire lifetime through text... Sure we have ways of adding such things in arm but not everyone is as savey with the instruments or uses them when they should.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I like that the intimacy roleplayed in Armageddon inevitably is a reflection of the kind of intimacy they had in real life, as Dakota said. Those bits of you slip out inevitably, because everyone's understanding of what love is hinges on how they experienced it in real life. This is where the barrier between what's IC and RL slips into play, no matter what. By opening up to someone in this game through the vehicle of the character, you show them deeply personal aspects of yourself.

However, the same can be said for any kind of roleplay. It doesn't have to be intimacy that shares this trait. Malevolence, maybe moreso than intimacy, betrays the player's quirks, faults, peeves, and even maybe something deeper than that through their PC's roleplay.

This is why this game is awesome. Intense roleplay, intense as defined by plots that have real, definitive consequences for others, a gameworld, people's time and hopes and dreams. For love, for whatever. The reality of the consequences are what aid in immersion. This world wouldn't have so many compelling relationships if those relationships weren't being threatened from many directions.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I was on the brink of achieving true intimacy, some time ago. It was different, and awesome. It required a leap of faith and you never knew if you'll be forced to betray the other or they'll get a nice price on your head. I hate to admit, but it beats the instant intimacy of clans, tribes and family roles. Hope to do it again.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 18, 2013, 04:37:24 AM
I was on the brink of achieving true intimacy, some time ago. It was different, and awesome. It required a leap of faith and you never knew if you'll be forced to betray the other or they'll get a nice price on your head. I hate to admit, but it beats the instant intimacy of clans, tribes and family roles. Hope to do it again.

Don't you love that? the whole "this person now knows enough about me to ruin me forever" part?

And then a carru comes along and ruins it.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I managed an intimate relationship with a character once. It had a huge affect on them. From the outside though, it was so sad, with both participants holding back because they knew it couldn't last.

Dying to carru all the time sucks, but I use them as a proxy for all the bullshit reasons people die in the real world. Mostly, disease, or shitty luck in other flavors like car accidents.

Bumping into a carru (or two..) is like getting hit by a drunk driver. Happens, even to good drivers(riders).

Says a lot about love in real life. Gotta get the most out of it, while you can. I am going to squeeze my special lady extra hard tonight.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Fredd on May 18, 2013, 04:45:17 AM
Don't you love that? the whole "this person now knows enough about me to ruin me forever" part?

Loved it. Every meeting could have meant the doom for both of us. Good times.

The only way to play is to play vulnerable.

Quote from: DustMight on May 18, 2013, 11:09:52 AM

Yes. And with cognizance of the vulnerability. With fear, trepidation and still taking the chance.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

How many times have I apologized for that?! She was NOT using him!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Yeah, mudsex is something my characters would actually do here... But as a player it doesn't interest me much. When it does, it's when that trust and relationship could be so easily broken.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: ShaLeah on May 18, 2013, 10:56:35 PM

How many times have I apologized for that?! She was NOT using him!

Hahaha!

I think my favorite relationship (that isn't IC sensitive) would be one between two characters of completely different species. They were twisted and horrible, murderous beyond any hope of redemption, but continued to reinforce each others actions with the belief it was for a greater good. The ends justified the means, someone had to right the wrongs and punish the people who deserve it.

They ended up having something between a father / daughter and brother / sister relationship, completely non-sexual or romantic, yet intimate beyond both. It would be a touching bond and a rare moment where racial tension and bias didn't exist, but the two were so twisted up inside that it often carried a sinister undertone that everyone around them was either completely oblivious to or intentionally ignored.

Bad guys trying so hard to be good guys. Good times, those.

The slow building of relationships over in-game years are what make the tedium of a long lived character worthwhile.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

The only problem I run across is that its disturbingly common for people to assume you're friends with someone because you've spent more than twenty RL minutes with them, or got seen just sitting with them and talking to them at the bar.

Maybe I am missing something? But that breaks my immersion like every time.

I find it particularly difficult to rp someone who makes few friends, and takes a long time to get close to people (not including elves, for whom this seems to be the default) because I'm under the constant impression that, after a RL month, everyone you've known that long probably believes you think they're your friend. But I know there's this invisible world of thoughts and beliefs underneath your spoken words and actions; you probably know a sociopath, you probably know someone who only thinks of particular people as their friends and everyone else as someone to throw in front of the spiders first, you probably know someone who needs something crazy to happen to let down their paranoid, scarred guard and see you as the trustworthy person they've always wanted you to be, etc.

And then there's the elves, who will probably try to kill you once they like you enough to test you out for true friendship. And then there's breeds. Ah. Breeds.

My most realistic relationship in Arm was an abusive one, where my spice addicted elf gang lord was ashamed of his breed mate, and would break into violence and denigration when on it or if he had a really bad day and came home drunk. But they definately loved each other, and had many moments of genuine intimacy. Was cool.

My best romance was when I dug up a corpse and expressed my feelings to it.

In this we are alike, Inks.

I've had sex with everyone in this thread.

Well, except for that one person. I mean, eww...!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

8 year necro, is that some kind of record?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I didn't check the dates. But I am not sorry.

Quote from: Inks on October 28, 2021, 03:40:41 PM
My most realistic relationship in Arm was an abusive one, where my spice addicted elf gang lord was ashamed of his breed mate, and would break into violence and denigration when on it or if he had a really bad day and came home drunk. But they definately loved each other, and had many moments of genuine intimacy. Was cool.

Was it that breed merchant?    I used that relationship to work with her afterwards. Contemplated mentoring your elementalist kid.

Quote from: Inks on October 28, 2021, 11:22:36 PM
I didn't check the dates. But I am not sorry.

It literally warns you though:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

October 29, 2021, 09:20:45 PM #48 Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:26:46 PM by Inks
Nope.  Didn't see that. 8) Please post on topic if you are posting here.

Quote from: Dar on October 29, 2021, 10:11:20 AM
Quote from: Inks on October 28, 2021, 03:40:41 PM

Was it that breed merchant?    I used that relationship to work with her afterwards. Contemplated mentoring your elementalist kid.

Was that one, yep. Great RPer. Mentoring a virtual child can get demanding, am sure :P

I don't think the player was interested in letting me teach her kiddo. But she didn't know I was a sorcerer.

But yeah. Her connection to your character earned her protection from the celven part of labyrinth for whenever I wasn't on a break again.

That and I wanted to cut a doorway into the rinth from her warehouse. Eyeshift.