How many characters have you gone through?

Started by Caiden, May 12, 2013, 01:45:47 PM

How many characters have you gone through since you started playing Arm?

0-10
29 (29.3%)
10-20
20 (20.2%)
20-30
14 (14.1%)
30-40
11 (11.1%)
40+
25 (25.3%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: May 26, 2013, 01:45:47 PM

Two or three years of play, about 30 chars. Earlier characters were solely devoted to exploring the world and learning stuff, rarely lived beyond five or so days of played time. My characters of late are very different, played a lot more sensibly and actually manage to be long-lived.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

List puts it at 91, but that includes maybe 4-5 gladiators and does not include a handful of characters from before the account system went in.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Many, many died before 24 hours of game time.  Sometimes I'm very impatient.
Several stored.

*sigh*

I wish I could reuse some of those names!

3 in a year  ;D
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Remember that the posters on the GDB only represent a vocal minority of the people that play arm and a poll such as this may have no resemblance to the actual statistics.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I've had 9 PCs and I started playing in 'O2. I've taken about two longish breaks (about 1 RL year both times) during that time frame. One of those PCs was a gladiator. Yeah....my PCs tend to live forever, but I'm pretty conservative a lot of the time too.
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Quote from: DustMight on May 12, 2013, 08:57:42 PM

Phonetics. Additions. Example: Amos can become Aimosius or Aimous.  :P
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: DustMight on May 12, 2013, 08:57:42 PM

You can. Just not as true names, but they can be codewords / names you go by, still.

That said, I'd like this as well. I promise I won't make 10 guys named Amos all in a row.

May 13, 2013, 12:26:04 AM #35 Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:27:42 AM by Bushranger
75 since 2002. A handful before there was an account system. Most of them have only been around for a month or so. Some died rather quickly and a few have lasted for a few months. My dune trader from Red Storm East was the longest at 6 months and he died to a typo! Was a good way to go though, brawling with militia because he'd already slept with the soldiers mate.

Protip to keep your character alive: HIT is used to brawl - not KILL!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

About 11 characters in 6 years, mostly conservatively played Rangers, mainly sort of casual offpeak. Most times I expect to get to 20 days played.

I've been playing for several years and I am still on character 2.

Quote from: Erythil on May 13, 2013, 05:21:30 AM

wow. respect.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 13, 2013, 05:27:22 AM

wow. respect.

The secret is simple: playing non-combatants.

Quote from: Malken on May 12, 2013, 02:03:48 PM
My average these days is probably 1-2 a year.. And that's being generous.. I can play a character for a whole year easy if I really enjoy it. My #1 loss of characters is due to storage.

I honestly can't remember the last time I actually died without wanting to..

I sure am quoting Malken a lot lately, but yep, this.

I average less than a character per year if you don't count extremely short lived storages, i.e. rolling up a Krathi and figuring out in a few hours that I hated it.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Started Jan 2006, currently on #8. Two long lived (for me), one 8 dayer, rest stored/dead with hardly any play time, with current still living. For now. Yeah.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

I've had 19 PCs in 13 years of playing.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

18 in three years, fourth or so of them stored.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I have had 18 characters dating back to 2008.  Out of those characters I have had about 5 or so die, and the rest stored, probably.  I don't end up playing characters that get into too much danger, or I get extremely lucky and make it out alive.  I have had crazy stuff happen, but managed to escape through social combat(thats what I call it at least).  Most of my characters play the social game more than anything and stay inside the walls.

I have had one character last one RL year before dying, and another last 1.5 RL years before being stored.

I actually want to play my next character as a more solo oriented ranger, because I have yet to really experience the "great outdoors" in long stints and this part of the Mud intrigues me nowadays.  We'll see!

Anyways, I think it comes down to personal play-style, luck, and game knowledge or character types.  Everyone is different and everyone has a different experience.

Quote from: AreteX on May 13, 2013, 11:28:25 AM

I actually want to play my next character as a more solo oriented ranger, because I have yet to really experience the "great outdoors" in long stints and this part of the Mud intrigues me nowadays.  We'll see!

I've played this game for years and I've never played a ranger before. I'm getting my feet wet with my next character and trying an outdoorsman.

Ontopic: I took a 4 years break a while ago and forgot my account name and password, so I created a new one a few years back that I've been sticking with. Since then I've played 12 characters, though two were stored shortly after creation as I was trying out personalities that I found I really didn't like (they were both the same personalities too, you'd think I'd learn).

Of the remaining 10, 5 were fairly long-lived (6-10 months) and 1 I'm still playing. I tend to play the social game more than anything else, though I've dipped into more combat oriented roles...

... But only with my merchants.

I honestly do not remember if I started playing in 2000 or 2001, but I know it was before I was out of High School.  Took a couple year break between 2003 and 2005.

I'm currently on character #88.  Quite a number of Rangers and Warriors and a plethora of Elementalists.  For the majority of my early Arm-years I wanted to get out and explore, explore, fight, fight, etc.  It wasn't until around #74 that I started to feel like I was starting to understand how to actually play a living, breathing character.  I think that was just before the great karama-off..I remember asking Staff to remove my magicker karma until I felt like I could handle the option, again.

I'm horrible at remembering specific times and time periods..
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Currently at 21, from 2006 (when I started) to 2013.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I'm on 25 now 3 years played.  1 of my characters was played for almost a year though.

I make risky character concepts that do risky things so its not a surprise when they end up dying.   Some of my Deaths have come from my characters following orders, which was in character for those characters.  I am proud that I was able to stay in character.  Some of my deaths are just stupid though.  Fall in hole (subdue beetle).  Think I can drag this thing that is way bigger than me out of this hole.   That sort of thing.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Erythil on May 13, 2013, 06:27:38 AM
Quote from: spicemustflow on May 13, 2013, 05:27:22 AM

wow. respect.

The secret is simple: playing non-combatants.

I did try non-combatants, they didn't fare any better :(