"Vomit" and "Force feed" commands?

Started by Da Princess, May 06, 2013, 10:11:38 PM

May 06, 2013, 10:11:38 PM Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:34:34 PM by Da Princess
I'm not sure if anyone has suggested things like this before, nor do I know where to post this, but here it is!:

Vomit - Force your character to expel their stomach contents.

Vomit could be useful for if you accidentally eat or drink something poisonous, or you're suspicious that something you ate or drank was poisoned. It would increase hunger/thirst by one level. Let's say you're peckish and a little thirsty, vomitting would make you either a little hungry or hungry and thirsty. This would also be able to go hand in hand with my other suggestion.

Force feed <poison/food/drink> <player> - To nourish or kill someone whom is unconscious due to starvation/dehydration (if it's possible to become unconscious from those) or unconscious due to low stamina/stun.

Force feeding could be useful for if you're lacking smelling salts to wake someone, and they're starving or dehydrated and near death. It could also be useful for poisoning one whom is unconscious. Force feeding someone whom is conscious or able to be woken (if they have enough stamina/stun to wake up) would immediately cause them to wake up and would be considered trying to kill them code-wise and will make the force feeder wanted if in a public/observable area.

Once again, not sure if either of these were suggested, but I think it could add to the atmosphere of arm.

Did you know that mice can't vomit and will die if they eat something that's poisonous? They aren't dextrous enough to save their buddies with various colored tablets, either.

Luckily, humans (and I assume most fantasy humanoids) can do both! Vomiting and force feeding are an important product of evolution!

Yes, it's been suggested before in multiple threads.

Yes, I still want it.

It's realistic, believable and +1

Although I do like the ideas, I don't see how well they'd codedly work with how Armageddon is, at the moment.

For example, being poisoned by burn blood either through contact or ingestion results in the same effects of the poison, regardless of how it was introduced to your character. So the way the code works, to my knowledge (which may be wrong), it doesn't distinguish between the two once you're poisoned.

What I'm basically trying to say is that if vomiting reduces/negates the effects of poison; which poisons? Only ingested poisons? Because, like I said, once your character is codedly affected by a poison - it doesn't distinguish between whether it was ingested or if your character was poisoned through an attack.

Cool idea but I'd see people forcing themselves to throw up to negate the effects of poison just to get out of using a tablet, even if the poison was introduced to their system, via, attack.

Since this knowledge is readily available on the help files, the two primary poisons in-game are burn blood and terradin - Burn blood which does as it's name implies and terradin, which forces a character to puke until death. Burn blood, to me, is like a poison that inflicts an almost instantaneous fever that wracks the body over time. Terradin, well, I don't see how a poison that makes you vomit up the content's of your stomach until death or a poison that gives you a fever could be alleviated through forced vomiting.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

While I suspect the code issue RGS brought up with poison sources to be a legit complication ... ... we've been asked by staff not to waste our time with speculating about how hard stuff would be to code.

So those concerns aside, I think the idea would be cool so long as there is a coded distinction between poisons you ate/drank, and poisons that got stabbed into you.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Force feed sounds good, but only to people with nosave (subdue, perhaps?) on or those who are subdued or k.o.ed already?
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 06, 2013, 11:53:41 PM
Although I do like the ideas, I don't see how well they'd codedly work with how Armageddon is, at the moment.

For example, being poisoned by burn blood either through contact or ingestion results in the same effects of the poison, regardless of how it was introduced to your character. So the way the code works, to my knowledge (which may be wrong), it doesn't distinguish between the two once you're poisoned.

What I'm basically trying to say is that if vomiting reduces/negates the effects of poison; which poisons? Only ingested poisons? Because, like I said, once your character is codedly affected by a poison - it doesn't distinguish between whether it was ingested or if your character was poisoned through an attack.

Cool idea but I'd see people forcing themselves to throw up to negate the effects of poison just to get out of using a tablet, even if the poison was introduced to their system, via, attack.

Since this knowledge is readily available on the help files, the two primary poisons in-game are burn blood and terradin - Burn blood which does as it's name implies and terradin, which forces a character to puke until death. Burn blood, to me, is like a poison that inflicts an almost instantaneous fever that wracks the body over time. Terradin, well, I don't see how a poison that makes you vomit up the content's of your stomach until death or a poison that gives you a fever could be alleviated through forced vomiting.

Like musashi said, if there was a way for there to be a distinction between eating/drinking the poison and being stabbed by a poison weapon, it would make all the difference. I have absolutely no idea how the code works, but I have quite an active imagination. Perhaps make a duplicate poison of the existing ones, a bloodburn that can be applied to a weapon and a bloodburn in which you injest. Injestion takes longer for it to take effect (perhaps a minute timer) and can be solved by vomiting, and again there's a point with saying that if you vomit then it's negating needing to use tablets as long as you have food and water. Perhaps effects of making yourself vomit should make you instantly dehydrated/starving and drop yours stats temporarily? I'm just throwing out ideas, here.

I have assumed, because of the way the code does work, that when the poisons contact your skin, or stomach lining, a lethal dose immediately enters your blood stream.
The same with the antidote , I guess.

I think force feeding should be a bandage roll to account for the knowledgeof the human body required to  forcibly make someone eat something without shoving it down their windpipe.

I think they are great, both affecting hunger-thirst level, poison duration (perhaps not entirely remove, but reduce) and intoxication level (vomiting after drinking too much alcohol)

We were eating lunch with a doctor friend of mine yesterday and he said, force-feeding an unconscious person without poking a tube to the correct pipe for feeding causes choking. Not that I care actually, normally nothing happens when I yell 'mon un nilaz <censored> <censored>', too.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Quote from: najdorf on May 07, 2013, 12:28:12 PM
I think they are great, both affecting hunger-thirst level, poison duration (perhaps not entirely remove, but reduce) and intoxication level (vomiting after drinking too much alcohol)

You really should start vomitting if you are close to black out drunk. I wish we had that.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

May 11, 2013, 05:26:39 AM #11 Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:33:52 AM by DustMight
As stated above, putting food/liquid in an unconscious person's mouth is a good way to try and a) kill them  b) give them aspiration pneumonia.

Force-feeding a subdued but conscious person would be a different matter.

I wonder, though, how often the need for force-feeding would arrive?  Likely a bit of work for very little pay-off?

Vomiting would be interesting in that it might be life-saving, but I wonder - many poisons give messages that they are acting on your body systemically (blood burning, hallucinations, etc) which means it's already passed through the stomach and into the blood stream - too late for vomiting to be effective.

A realistic change would mean creating onset times + digestion times, but then to be fair poisons could perhaps be hidden so that you wouldn't get the taste-funny message which would effectively make vomiting useless.

All that said - this is why the taste command is superior to eat when trying something you are suspicious about.