What almost turned you off the game WHEN YOU WERE NEW

Started by Morrolan, April 30, 2013, 07:45:39 PM

Quote from: evil_erdlu on May 05, 2013, 09:45:33 AM
Burglars... Definitely burglars.

It's not that I'd mind a lot if it was once in a while thing. But when there's a new burglar in town and Tek forbid, if it is off-peak, you simply cannot use apartments. You'll get stolen from again and again and again and sooner or later, there's going to be nothing left in your apartment. You can't have any protection against burglary if you're off-peak. You don't have templar contacts and even if you did, templars would be able to do nothing against an off-peak burglar because y'know.. We do not have off-peak templars and militia. There is simply nothing to do to avoid it.

I hope now, later in your arm career, you know you can send in a report/question and staff will look into the possible abuse.

As someone that has played an off-peak abusive burglar back in the day ( I didn't know any better, what can I say) I can state with 100% certainty, that it will be figured out and addressed, if the burglar is doing far to much stealing.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I used to blame the theft of all my apartment's belongings on burglars until I realized it was my neighbors who did most the stealing once they realized my door was unlocked >.>
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I thought my character's apartment was getting cleared out regularly until I realised that maybe maybe mayyyyybe I should've checked if it was a saveroom.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I just don't use apartments and avoid a ton of problems all together. Who needs expensive belongings and furniture anyways?

Yeah I'm in RGS's camp. If I've got an apartment it's because I'm playing a sponsored role and live in a secure compound.

If I'm a commoner, I live out of my backpack.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 05, 2013, 08:02:49 PM
I just don't use apartments and avoid a ton of problems all together. Who needs expensive belongings and furniture anyways?

God knows when I play characters of this mindset, life is easier for me.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 05, 2013, 08:02:49 PM

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Started in 2003.

One completely new char of mine was PK'd after being brand-new recruited to a clan and someone killed me for either a) shits and giggles or b) not having newbie Tuluk tattoos. There was zero reasoning to it, and I was really pissed and wrote an angry email. And I think I got a bad account note from complaining about it. Admittedly, I probably wrote a rant email, but I'm a lot less excitable now.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Being unable to emote and use quotations freely at the same time.  Still irks me.

You know what I mean.  Freely.  You can do it, but have to use a particular sentence structure that I find is often clunky and unwieldy from a prose-quality point of view.

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 05, 2013, 11:32:11 PM
say (eyebrows clambering upward) What?

+1

Quotations?

Solo RP. I just didn't get it. I still don't like it.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Sandstorms in cities at night.

My first Arm role was an extremely long-lived clanned role where, like most combat-oriented clans, your off time was at night.

Imagine my chagrin when every time I tried to leave the barracks to go anywhere in the evening, it was too damn sandy and windy to go anywhere! I was afraid it would be unrealistic RP to just spamwalk to the Gaj by muscle memory, so I refrained from doing it.

Then later on, when my character became sarge, I let people go early enough that they could run off to their evening hideyholes before the perma-sandstorm set in.  8)
And I am catching up, and I am seeing red
How about I prove I'm right and raise it overhead?

Wandering around the enormous, oversized Allanaki bazaar and the roads that border it, and getting lost in sandstorms at night, while not seeing another player anywhere.

It also took me about 4 PCs to figure out I wasn't ready to play in the 'rinth.

Quote from: ShaLeah on May 06, 2013, 03:25:39 AM
Solo RP. I just didn't get it. I still don't like it.

I've never been a fan solo rp. I usually just do it in places where there might be a sneaky sort watching me, or I'm important enough to warrant a mindbender giving a crap about me. Of course at that point it's not really solo rp so much as an unaddressed invitation to rp.

If nobody is around my characters sometimes sit there talking to themselves. Sometimes, though, someone is around and it's kind of embarrassing. Very thankful for whisper self, although, one could still be overheard.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Sanvean on May 05, 2013, 06:20:50 PM
ended up spending two or three RL weeks in jail. I'd log on, emote rats running over my feet for a while, try to contact people over the way, talk to myself, etc., until finally the staff member was around

As a noob you spent RL weeks in jail, kept logging in waiting for a staff member, solo RPing all the while? I mean, we all know Sanvean is hardcore, but damn...
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Some people are getting to specific about events here. Even if things occurred more than one real life year ago, they are not necessarily appropriate to talk about.

Before posting anything specific please thing about whether it will reveal any in character information. If there's any doubt, don't post.

Thanks.

I don't post on the forums much, though I feel like I have something to say here.

I was invited by my boyfriend to come play armageddon, while at the time I was currently playing another MUD. I can easily say the transition was -very- difficult. The lack of a detailed map in which you can use to navigate made it hard at first, but I soon got used to it and became accustomed to making my way around Tuluk and Luir's just by exploring. Also, the fact of permanent death on top of the no map thing was at first a deal breaker, I wasn't sure what I could possibly do if I didn't know where I was going, and if I made the wrong turn I would end up being dinner for some creature. Though, I progressed and as I said, got used to it. Great fun when you put all that aside.

When I first joined I took a RL year off because of that submission about Tek killing Steinal. Made me really angry. :-\

Quote from: Inks on May 07, 2013, 04:36:49 AM
When I first joined I took a RL year off because of that submission about Tek killing Steinal. Made me really angry. :-\

The joke one? If you don't mind me asking, why did it make you angry?
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Yeah the joke one, because I took it seriously like an idiot at the time :D

Basically before I joined those years ago I had read a lot of things on other boards and such about Templars really abusing coded powers and such out of RP. After my first couple of characters I was getting the hang of the game but had never been to Allanak because of the things I had read about it basically being a few players with god mode messing stuff up for all the non Templars. Not in the good way which I have actually experienced IG since. So I read that and took it seriously. Blah.

The realization the everything I want to try requires three karma and/or a special application, and later the realization that it takes forever to get karma and reading about how easy it is to lose it... Experience is quickly teaching me why these things require special consideration.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 07, 2013, 11:15:13 AM
The realization the everything I want to try requires three karma and/or a special application, and later the realization that it takes forever to get karma and reading about how easy it is to lose it... Experience is quickly teaching me why these things require special consideration.

This was me too.  I REALLY REALLY wanted to play a magicker when I started this game, and was sad when my first two characters didn't get me any karma.  My third got me two points, though, and my magicker character was everything I'd hoped it could be and more.  Stick with it!

Though I will add that it's actually not easy to lose karma.  Barring truly egregious violations of the rules, you'll always get a warning from staff before they start yanking points.