Voting for the Month of May! Voting reset at midnight Eastern time!

Started by Nyr, April 30, 2013, 02:16:12 PM

For the longest time, our MUD community held a bit of apathy toward creating TMC accounts, which are required for voting. Most likely, Aardwolf's giant player base is willing to vote on TMS but is relatively unwilling to create accounts just to vote on TMC. I think we should take what we can get.

I still have my account from years of voting for the games I have been playing. I admit, kinda messed up they want you to have an account, but, whatever. Pisses me off every time I forget my password. Anyway, I'm going to keep voting, see how many thousands of votes they have to puff their score up with to stay on top on their own site, amusing. Probably don't want to get the kind of people you get at number one anyway.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I like that they require an account. Another step between the voting world and cheating.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 17, 2013, 07:57:45 PM
Well, Armageddon is kinda, sorta kicking their asses on the other site, meanwhile they have a thousand more votes than anyone else on topmudsites, so yeah...

I mean, I said approve my character and I might vote again, so I'm voting, I just think it's fucked they think that's acceptable behavior. Must be run by a bunch of filthy neckers.

Aprove your charecter huh?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Cutthroat on May 17, 2013, 08:05:00 PM
For the longest time, our MUD community held a bit of apathy toward creating TMC accounts, which are required for voting. Most likely, Aardwolf's giant player base is willing to vote on TMS but is relatively unwilling to create accounts just to vote on TMC. I think we should take what we can get.

I was pretty sure this was exactly the explanation for their spot on TMS. So many players that they can afford to do the minimum (for them) to be #1.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

To clarify, their numbers in February were about 1200ish for the month.

That made it more clear to me that they simply make sure they win. No reason to have a bigger buffer than you need, right?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 17, 2013, 08:37:04 PM
Probably don't want to get the kind of people you get at number one anyway.

Yeah, I think we have a totally different target audience. I really wouldn't want their caliber of player flooding Arm...Just the few open minded ones that wanted a real change. I like that it's second, it's just kind of there going...go on...you know you want to try it...all those people can't be wrong...maybe rpi is good...
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Looks like they decided a 400-ish vote lead is what they need to stay on the top of the charts. Heh.

Can someone explain what the in/out numbers mean?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 21, 2013, 12:45:30 PM
Looks like they decided a 400-ish vote lead is what they need to stay on the top of the charts. Heh.

Can someone explain what the in/out numbers mean?

1400 vote lead.

In are clicks to view our info I think, out are people that clicked to go to our site.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

In is actually the number of votes that the MUD has received.

Don't forget to vote!

It looks like the max "minimum number" of players we have listed on TMC has jumped to 99....it seems like this is a higher number than it used to be!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on May 23, 2013, 12:01:55 PM
It looks like the max "minimum number" of players we have listed on TMC has jumped to 99....it seems like this is a higher number than it used to be!

Do we set that, or does the site randomly send a "who" query or something?

Quote from: Fredd on May 23, 2013, 03:55:31 PM
Quote from: LauraMars on May 23, 2013, 12:01:55 PM

Do we set that, or does the site randomly send a "who" query or something?

I don't believe it is an automatic data feed at the moment.  I am working on a way to automate that type of information though (to sites that support it) so this is very much in the works!

I was reading through the TMS forums and came across this http://www.mudstats.com/. It doesn't look very accurate. Should we bother with this?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

It should be fairly accurate information provided the right coded support is in place for games to have these stats reported.

Nathvaan or Morgenes or Tiernan can speak to that (I think the support for it was originally set up by Nathvaan).

Quote from: Nyr on May 24, 2013, 11:27:52 AM
It should be fairly accurate information provided the right coded support is in place for games to have these stats reported.

Nathvaan or Morgenes or Tiernan can speak to that (I think the support for it was originally set up by Nathvaan).

I dunno, for sure we've had way more than 66 people on. Seems a wee bit off.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

We had that support in place but it was pulled out of suspicion that it was causing the recent lag problems.  I am not sure if it has been reinstated.  It is entirely possible that that was the max reported prior to pulling the code.

TMC's link isn't working.

Quote from: Nyr on May 24, 2013, 11:43:34 AM
We had that support in place but it was pulled out of suspicion that it was causing the recent lag problems.  I am not sure if it has been reinstated.  It is entirely possible that that was the max reported prior to pulling the code.

It has not been reinstated quite yet so the mud stats number will be as hit or miss as they always have been.  I never received a good answer about how they get their numbers currently but they are going to be a snapshot with very limited polling intervals I suspect.

When this code is in place they will get statistics about the game on an hourly basis including current number of users logged in.

This is the code that was also causing some issues with clients needing to 'press c twice'.  I am still looking at this code and it is a priority to get it resolved and reimplemented!

TMC link nor working is on their side!

Looks like someone forgot to pay their hosting bill....
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Is there a third sight that's good, and well respected/known?

A couple more days left!  I will post stats for the month tomorrow sometime and we can get ready for the June drive.  Great job so far, everyone!

I'm here because I saw you guys were so highly ranked on tms.

How are you guys getting so many votes though, your playerbase is relatively small >_>

Dedicated voting, once/twice a day. It really does add up over time if we're consistent about it. The problem is that most people tend to forget, or start slacking off mid-month, and then the numbers drop off and we slip in the ranking.

Quote from: Wastrel on May 29, 2013, 10:12:56 PM
How are you guys getting so many votes though, your playerbase is relatively small >_>

??? I'm just hazarding a guess here  ??? - but - considering all the different play day / time slots of the playerbase  :-\ the actual number of unique account logins for the month is most probably higher than we think and would surprise the both of us!  ???
"I wouldn't go that way if I were you, there are two thumpers eyeing you from the alley and waiting to brain you. Maybe if you twist His Arm with some black they'll disappear. They'll stab them in the squinters and make their eyes glow like Jihae."