Discussion of changes to Armageddon Website

Started by Morgenes, April 01, 2013, 12:10:18 AM

I did snooze my phone while editing, yes. When I came back to it, it was still there, let me finish editing, let me submit just fine. (Except clearly now it doesn't show up).

Also, Morgenes, I swear you have your GDB account hard wired into your brain. 8 minute response time? Including typing? I think I've been in face-to-face conversations with longer turn around time than that.  ;)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on May 10, 2013, 08:15:25 PM
I did snooze my phone while editing, yes. When I came back to it, it was still there, let me finish editing, let me submit just fine. (Except clearly now it doesn't show up).

Also, Morgenes, I swear you have your GDB account hard wired into your brain. 8 minute response time? Including typing? I think I've been in face-to-face conversations with longer turn around time than that.  ;)

I'd say 'don't do that'. Sorry.  I can see what I can do, but likely you would still lose your work.  Best bet, you should log in, enter and do it all at once.

Just happened to catch it quickly is all. As can be seen by this response time.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Heh, roger.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I don't know if anyone's brought it up yet or not ...

But I would suggest making the URL and the PORT to connect to a little bigger or bolder or a different color. I know it's bolded right now, but it took me a while to finally spot it on the homepage. :)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

The original submissions aren't really ordered or easily searchable.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on May 12, 2013, 12:59:51 PM

They are ordered by post date descending.  You can search by title, author, type, description.  How else would you like to be able to search them?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I think it's that many people are missing that orange bar with the categories and the original submissions search field on the original submissions page.

I did for a long time and I was trying to search for the artwork and other key words I'd seen in this thread using the magnifying glass search button.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Morgenes on May 12, 2013, 09:09:44 PM
Quote from: Bogre on May 12, 2013, 12:59:51 PM

They are ordered by post date descending.  You can search by title, author, type, description.  How else would you like to be able to search them?

Oh? Maybe it was user error trying to search them, but I may have been screwing around on my phone or on some shitty version of IE on a hospital computer.

->I played around with it for a few minutes after reading your reply, and I must have missed the search function, it's pretty handy, much easier to use than the previous submissions page!

Thanks!

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bushranger on May 13, 2013, 12:16:36 AM
I think it's that many people are missing that orange bar with the categories and the original submissions search field on the original submissions page.

I did for a long time and I was trying to search for the artwork and other key words I'd seen in this thread using the magnifying glass search button.

Yeah, I think I started scrolling immediately and browsing them and missed the white search bar.

In the weekly updates, would you consider, Morgenes, making the font size smaller on the h2 headers?

I notice that the tables, when you narrow your browser, get narrower by narrowing the spaces between the columns, rather than dumping long words on the next line. But with the headlines, it dumps orphans on the next line down. I don't look at my browser full-screen (I don't know of many people who multitask, who do view their browser on full-screen). And so I'm looking at kind of a mess. If the font size of the headlines were made smaller, it wouldn't create orphan dumps so much.

It's all the stuff within the h2 designation - such as the lower right "77 Unique Logins 2 New Accounts Created" For me, the word "Created" doesn't appear on the same line as the "2 New Accounts" even if I stretch my browser to full-screen. The only time it appears on the same line, is if I narrow it so significantly that all of the categories are underneath each other, instead of next to each other.

I'm finding the same issue with all the pages of the new website, but I noticed it first on the News section.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 13, 2013, 08:38:59 AM
In the weekly updates, would you consider, Morgenes, making the font size smaller on the h2 headers?

I notice that the tables, when you narrow your browser, get narrower by narrowing the spaces between the columns, rather than dumping long words on the next line. But with the headlines, it dumps orphans on the next line down. I don't look at my browser full-screen (I don't know of many people who multitask, who do view their browser on full-screen). And so I'm looking at kind of a mess. If the font size of the headlines were made smaller, it wouldn't create orphan dumps so much.

It's all the stuff within the h2 designation - such as the lower right "77 Unique Logins 2 New Accounts Created" For me, the word "Created" doesn't appear on the same line as the "2 New Accounts" even if I stretch my browser to full-screen. The only time it appears on the same line, is if I narrow it so significantly that all of the categories are underneath each other, instead of next to each other.

I'm finding the same issue with all the pages of the new website, but I noticed it first on the News section.

I've updated the layout of the page so that more items are H3's which have a smaller font size, let me know how that goes for you.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Since I don't know how to take screenshots on a Mac...

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Rogue
Rogue
(Extended Subguilds)
Rogues are the perpetual ne'er-do-wells of Zalanthas, jacks of all trades when it comes to making a dishonest living. They excel at scoping out a potential mark, snatching small valuables or bits of coin, and can glide through the city relatively unseen. In time, they may learn abilities that take them down the more traditional path of the cat-burglar, enhancing their skill at skulking about to the degree of being able to enter places unseen and unnoticed. A Rogue knows that such a life is a dangerous one, and as such, they eventually excel at scouting out potential threats.

Notes:
The Rogue subguild costs 2 CGP.
See Also:
CGP, Karma, Thieve's Bible

When I click on the Thieve's Bible link I get:

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Thieve's%20Bible'Thieve's Bible' not found, searching...
Search term 'Thieve's Bible' not found in any help topic.

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I just checked, I can get it all to fit on the stretched browser screen now. I realize my screen's pretty dinky and I'll just have to stretch it if I want to view it "right." But at least now, I can, and it works fine!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Yolo the dorf on May 16, 2013, 07:30:30 PM
Since I don't know how to take screenshots on a Mac...

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Rogue
Rogue
(Extended Subguilds)
Rogues are the perpetual ne'er-do-wells of Zalanthas, jacks of all trades when it comes to making a dishonest living. They excel at scoping out a potential mark, snatching small valuables or bits of coin, and can glide through the city relatively unseen. In time, they may learn abilities that take them down the more traditional path of the cat-burglar, enhancing their skill at skulking about to the degree of being able to enter places unseen and unnoticed. A Rogue knows that such a life is a dangerous one, and as such, they eventually excel at scouting out potential threats.

Notes:
The Rogue subguild costs 2 CGP.
See Also:
CGP, Karma, Thieve's Bible

When I click on the Thieve's Bible link I get:

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Thieve's%20Bible'Thieve's Bible' not found, searching...
Search term 'Thieve's Bible' not found in any help topic.

The Thief's Bible is in the help files, but not under the misspelling in the Rogue help file. It's not you.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Fixed the typo and added aliases for the misspelling.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I know this is a low priority issue, but on my mobile phone (android, default browser) when trying to view my char reports on the site, it is stuck at "loading data from server" and doesn't progress. Meanwhile bio entries view fine on my phone.

Again, low priority by far. I LOVE THE NEW WEBSITE. The time display, the ease of logging in and interacting with my account shit, and the general look is A++. I think that in the future, more fine art can go in and decorate the basic red font titles we have now, but I consider them placeholders for future awesomeness.

Good job all involved!!!! It looks lovely. :)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on May 18, 2013, 04:45:22 PM
I know this is a low priority issue, but on my mobile phone (android, default browser) when trying to view my char reports on the site, it is stuck at "loading data from server" and doesn't progress. Meanwhile bio entries view fine on my phone.

Again, low priority by far. I LOVE THE NEW WEBSITE. The time display, the ease of logging in and interacting with my account shit, and the general look is A++. I think that in the future, more fine art can go in and decorate the basic red font titles we have now, but I consider them placeholders for future awesomeness.

Good job all involved!!!! It looks lovely. :)

Please submit a request about this so I can see if it is related to a specific request.  Include info about if it is all requests or just particular ones, or did you mean submitting new requests?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Absolutely gorgeous design. If I were a new player, that design would immediately grab me and make me want to play this game.
Steam ID - BoogtehWoog

Quote from: solera on May 23, 2013, 04:43:58 AM
The IP on the Intro page is still telnet://209.159.155.76:4050/

Fixed.

Quote from: BoogtehWoog on May 21, 2013, 08:40:03 PM
Absolutely gorgeous design. If I were a new player, that design would immediately grab me and make me want to play this game.

Thanks!
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

speaking of an ease-of-us update, I have been finding the upper bar on the mainpage very easy to click-thru. I love the login link accessible from the start.

I'm trying to find an old news update.  I can only seem to find the latest news updates.  Is there some way to see the older news updates, and if so how?
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 23, 2013, 02:19:23 PM
I'm trying to find an old news update.  I can only seem to find the latest news updates.  Is there some way to see the older news updates, and if so how?

Click the little eye icon beside it. When the screen comes up, there's a big button on the top right that says previous.
Alea iacta est

The old website had a timeline on it of important events that happened in Arm that I looked for and could not find on the new sight. It took me a while to find it again on the old one. I really like this timeline because 1: it's inspiring and 2: I was inspired by a recent GDB thread to go back and look for a few famous names in the timesline that my person would have a reason to know, and come up with a way to talk about them.

Anyways, is the timeline on the new site, and I just couldn't find it? If not, can you add it please?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died