Code Idea: Speed indications upon entering a room

Started by Jenred, March 31, 2013, 01:52:36 PM

Quote from: Harmless on April 01, 2013, 10:27:22 AM
I am no longer debating this point with you because you and I are both talking out of our asses and you know it. This thread was better off as a request to the imms, not as public discussion. There is nothing to discuss here.

Interpretation: I'm losing this argument and I'm having an increasingly hard time justifying it, therefore I'm going to declare this thread bullshit and remove myself from it.

There are many status effects which should be very visible, flying was mentioned for example. 

As for sneaking... Your argument sucks because -- Failing to blend in is not 'walking with the crowd' that's succeeding at blending in.  Failing to blend in would be looking around surreptitiously trying to stay with people awkwardly, or any number of other things where you did not, in fact, pass your sneak check.  If you pass your sneak check there's no message.  If you fuck it up, you look like you're sneaking.  This is not hard to understand, and becomes consistent with leave echoes.

Okay, maxid + musashi + jenred. I have been proven wrong by the moral majority and so we shall see stealth guilds receive yet another nerf.

*sigh*
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on April 01, 2013, 02:19:23 PM
Okay, maxid + musashi + jenred. I have been proven wrong by the moral majority and so we shall see stealth guilds receive yet another nerf.

*sigh*

I really fail to see how this would be a nerf. If you successfully managed to sneak in, you wouldn't be seen. If you were trying to skulk around shiftily and failed at it, I think this should be seen, the same as if you ran in, because you see it on leaving, and you would also notice it on approach, and, as I said a second ago, if you were successful with your sneaking, nobody would see you sneak in.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: X-D on April 01, 2013, 01:59:38 PM
Be nice to know Amos ran into the room...then I know to look behind him...same as you would IRL.

That was my main motivation for the idea.
All too often people come running in, and I have no idea.
Especially dangerous when its a GROUP of people, all running. Something that would be noticeable.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: Harmless on April 01, 2013, 02:19:23 PM

*sigh*

*pat pat* We (or at least I) am not disagreeing with you because I think you're a dumbass or anything. I just don't like the particular position you put forward here. In the other thread on what breaks hide and getting an indicator when it happens, I totally agree with your take on things. Just depends on the topic and the strength of the argument put forward. Don't take it too hard.  :-*
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

April 01, 2013, 03:03:49 PM #31 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:07:15 PM by Harmless
No problem. I enjoy these debates. In the end, the game evolves and becomes better. I have faith in that. Maybe get emotional here and there but there's a reason for that.

Unlike you, or X-D, or a lot of the folks who contribute intelligently to these debates, I am a shitty n00b. I've never pulled it off, the whole stealth guild vs. warrior struggle.

When the experts come along and start announcing more ways that me pulling anything off is just going to get a little harder, I get upset that the game is just getting harder when I haven't even begun to figure it out yet.

But in the end I'll enjoy this shit just as much anyway, so my perceived inferiority becomes irrelevant. I'll just keep playing until I figure it out. Even if after learning to jump through 20 hoops there's a 21st there, it just adds to replayability.

Im not sure how you failing a sneak into a room and players noticing it (just like they would when you'd leave) in anyway "ruins something for you".

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.

It wouldn't ruin anything for me. Not sure where you're quoting me but I no longer feel that way about it, as I just said in my last post.

Quote from: Harmless on April 01, 2013, 03:03:49 PM
more ways that me pulling anything off is just going to get a little harder

I don't see how you failing a stealth entry check into a room and players noticing it (like they would when you leave) is more ways of you "pulling anything off" becoming harder.

Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 03:58:34 PM
Quote from: Harmless on April 01, 2013, 03:03:49 PM
more ways that me pulling anything off is just going to get a little harder

I don't see how you failing a stealth entry check into a room and players noticing it (like they would when you leave) is more ways of you "pulling anything off" becoming harder.

Guildsniffing, I thought we said that at the very beginning of this thread...?

So you intentionally abuse the fact that you can enter a room while sneaking and not be noticed (if failed), but don't use it on the way out, when you know you can be detected if you fail?

April 01, 2013, 04:15:44 PM #39 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:21:41 PM by Harmless
It's pretty hard to voluntarily chunk in a "w" with sneak on after walking into a room with someone.

Particularly with the way people jam the "look" command out there like a reflex.

What else am I going to do? The asshole just looked at me, I'm not going to just keep creeping along like a ninja. That's what I'm talking about.

Now, does he get the right to know if I was sneaking or not on my way in? As I have conceded, maybe he does. I gave up on that debate, as posted above.

Edit: DOUBLE MEH.

Calm down Harmless, we're a no-cursing MUD now.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 01, 2013, 04:13:54 PM
I've done it.

Yup. I've walked in on someone, seen them, and straightened my cloak before walking normally out of there.

If it changed, I don't mind so much. But I've been on both sides of this one.

Twinky as fuck? I do not think that word means what you think it means.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I've done it more times than I can remember too, but in more recent years I've been overt about it by using move emotes like "east(ducking quietly into the tavern)" when entering occupied rooms.  I do this because if you fail your stealth people see you come in to the room but it isn't obvious that you were sneaking (or running for that matter).  If you sneak into a room full of people and it is obvious to them that you were doing it poorly, I think it should raise some eyebrows.

I'm surprised this is even being debated. It's a no brainer. You get a speed echo leaving, why not entering too?
Amor Fati

Quote from: Fnord on April 04, 2013, 11:44:31 AM
I'm surprised this is even being debated. It's a no brainer. You get a speed echo leaving, why not entering too?

There are lots of good ideas that get debated because you need to make the case that it's worth the effort to mess with the code.

That said, this would be a fairly simple code change would it not?

Only staff can answer that of course...I could see it going both ways, depending on how the code handles such things.

It may be that it decides the delay from entering a room before you leave a room, which would be why it shows only on leaving.

Making the enter message the same as the leave message could be as simple as a script to look backwards and change it to an actual code overhaul.

Of course, I myself would not mind if movement got changed to before and after, splitting the delay in half to each side to do so. But I suppose that is an entire different thread.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I like the idea and I play a stealth based character.  The majority of the ones I've played have been that sort, too.  If I'm sneaking and entering the room and I fail my roll or someone is just observant, it should say something to the effect of "So and so arrives from the east, attempting to go unnoticed."  Something along those lines.  It sets the mood for interactions, depending on where you're at, too.  If you're in your apartment and the door is open and someone comes in like that, it's a lot different than if they just walked in, I would think.

Quote from: Rumor on April 05, 2013, 06:40:56 PM
It sets the mood for interactions, depending on where you're at, too.

Yup. I can see the mood now.

> close cloak
> close belt
> draw knife
> watch elf

:D

I'm pro-echoing upon entering the room.

While you can add 'screaming wildly and flapping his arms about' if you run into the room being chased by... oh... for example a wall of water (not that such a thing would ever happen IG... or would it?) some of us are not good at writing out descriptive movement emotes while running for our PC's lives.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.