Over Eyes Wear Location

Started by Scarecrow, March 21, 2013, 06:50:03 PM

Currently things like sunslits go on the face wearing slot. It would be nifty if this could be changed to be an "Over the eyes" location, so we could still wear facewraps and stuff, with the sunslits over that.  :)
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

I would love this. It also helps the weird problem where if you're wearing a nose ring or something you can't wear anything else over your face.

Hasn't it been said before that wear slots are severely limited by the current codebase?
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Could probably get rid of a few 'ring' wear-locations and add a more practical 'over eyes' location... Didn't folks only wear rings on all fingers in order for rinthers to get the scratchy melee effect that is no longer active anyway?

Quote from: Feco on March 22, 2013, 09:32:13 PM
Hasn't it been said before that wear slots are severely limited by the current codebase?

Not necessarily, it is just involved and tricky.  Not a simple matter of just 'add another bit to the bit vector', although that is part of the process.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

<worn over eyes>  a canvas salt sack
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I would personally love it if there were these for the 'face area':

<eyes>
<nose>
<face>

Then you could wear your nose ring and sunslits, or nose ring and kohl, and the pretty veil, or sunslits and facewrap, etc.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I like Amanda's suggestion.

I'd really like more flexibility with facial jewelry/coverings. I know there's work associated with coding wearlocs, and this may or may not be done, but I think it's worth talking about.

Right now you can wear a different earring or cuff in each ear, and a separate necklace and scarf over your throat and neck, but you're pretty stuck with facial things, which is a bummer.

You can have either sunslits or a piercing or a face wrap or a visible facial scar or tattoo. I would enjoy seeing rough-and-tumble folks with multiple piercings and scars, or fancy folks with kohl and veils.

Another potential variation is:

<on eyes>
For sunslits, blindfolds, and kohl.

<on face>
<on face>
<on face>
For nose rings, eyebrow rings, and other facial piercings. Facial tattoos and scars would still go here.

<over face>
For wraps, veils, and scarves.

Anything worn <over face> could hide everything <on face>, the same way something closed <around body> hides your shirt and belt.

This allows you to wear sunslits and a face wrap, or kohl and an eyebrow ring and a nose ring, or kohl and a veil, or a nose ring and an eyebrow ring and a facial tattoo. Flexibility!

March 26, 2013, 10:03:51 PM #9 Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:06:34 PM by Lizzie
Adornments can easily be added via tdesc. I don't see any need for added face slots just so people can add more junk to their list of "worn" items. I'd also like to see kohl removed from the game - kohl is made from metal.

It's hard enough trying to check someone's main desc, when they're wearing a full game screen's worth of clothing and jewelry, and they choose to leave their gloves off JUST so I can see all 8 rings.

I think the last thing we need is -more- excuses to clutter up everyone else's screen scroll.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on March 26, 2013, 10:03:51 PM
Adornments can easily be added via tdesc. I don't see any need for added face slots just so people can add more junk to their list of "worn" items. I'd also like to see kohl removed from the game - kohl is made from metal.

It's hard enough trying to check someone's main desc, when they're wearing a full game screen's worth of clothing and jewelry, and they choose to leave their gloves off JUST so I can see all 8 rings.

I think the last thing we need is -more- excuses to clutter up everyone else's screen scroll.

+1
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Quote from: Lizzie on March 26, 2013, 10:03:51 PM

I see a very good reason. So that if you are interested in the item you can get a better look at it, since you can do that with items people are codedly wearing. There's never going to stop being screen scroll. It's a text game. If that's an issue, I wouldn't be playing a text game.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

If they put it all into the tdesc it'll still add to screen scroll.

I play on a netbook with extremely limited vertical space, and I rarely have an issue with anyone's eq list/mdesc combo. Unless they actually have 8 rings on and no gloves, which is pretty rare.

It's a shame to have awesome coded veils, nose rings, and sunslits, and only be able to wear one at a time. We have a lot of face, you know? We could fit some more stuff on there.

I like these suggestions.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

These are cool suggestions but I don't know how viable it is with the code. Diku is not the most flexible thing around.

It might be more viable with the new codebase though - it sounds robust.

This entire game is one, long screen scroll.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Oddly, I am all for eyes being a wear slot. But not for anything like nose or lips etc. Sorry folks, If you want to wear the nose ring, don't wear a facewrap.

As for eyes...wel, there is only one thing that goes there and I do not think it should stop you from wearing a facewrap...in fact, if you are wearing any of the eyes items you likely SHOULD be wearing a facewrap too.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It would be kind of cool if you could wear a facewrap and it would just cover up anything else worn on your face (like a nose-ring) in the same way it works with tattoos...so wouldn't have to remove a piercing to wear facewrap...

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: X-D on March 27, 2013, 08:13:36 PM
Oddly, I am all for eyes being a wear slot. But not for anything like nose or lips etc. Sorry folks, If you want to wear the nose ring, don't wear a facewrap.

As for eyes...wel, there is only one thing that goes there and I do not think it should stop you from wearing a facewrap...in fact, if you are wearing any of the eyes items you likely SHOULD be wearing a facewrap too.

I agree with this pretty much but I can think of at least three different types of things in the game currently that would be worn there, two of which should rarely be removed if they are needed to be worn.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Alright fine, eyepatch and bandage I agree with as well...sheesh. same thing and null abuse IMO.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I've always wondered about glass eyes as a secret hiding spot for smuggling... or I guess... a polished wooden eye with a hollow interior for holding certain very small items...

> peek dude's eye

He notices you looking.

;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

A false eye should append a line to your description rather than show up on your eq list, to be as subtle OOC as it should be IG.