Selection of Accent at Char-gen

Started by Fragmented, March 15, 2013, 12:36:56 PM

Quote from: musashi on March 28, 2013, 08:00:35 PM
Comparing nomads to people who grew up in the cities is apples and oranges. That option at character creation is there so that people can elect to play a well-defined part of the game's documentation. Immigrants from one city to another as a normal commonly seen occurrence is not a part of the games documentation. For what it's worth though, if this were made into something you had to pay creation points in order to get I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

While (today, at least), I am neither for or against the idea, I have to point out that there is a group of Allanaki refugees that (at least used to) exist in Tuluk, in the game world. So I would think it's not terribly exceptional, even if it is a bit rare. I think it would be rarer though to be a Tuluki that starts in Allanak unless you have X or Y reasons for it already predefined.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: musashi on March 28, 2013, 08:00:35 PMImmigrants from one city to another as a normal commonly seen occurrence is not a part of the games documentation.

Little quibble, but though the documentation hasn't been updated to reflect it, the IC reality is that there were/are lots of southern immigrants in Tuluk.

Not so much the other way around, though, unless it's a family of volcano-loving anorexics.

March 28, 2013, 08:20:59 PM #52 Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:05:38 PM by musashi
Yes I am aware of those immigrants, but they were the result of one specific catastrophic in game event which is an exception to the rule basically by definition, so I think the point stands.

If you wanted to apply as a refugee who starts in the north because they were a part of that one particular circumstance (during the time it was happening ... as has been pointed out those refugees are no longer there as coded additions to the city) then I'm sure you would have been approved to do so by the staff.

Little edit to add: It's worth noting that the actual number of Allanaki refugees in Tuluk, even after that event, is incredibly small in comparison to the population of either city state. Hence I go back to my first point, of immigrants from a different city state being a big rarity doc wise.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

March 29, 2013, 07:22:04 AM #53 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:25:27 AM by Lizzie
The groups of immigrants in Tuluk documented in the official docs are either very old, or long-dead (depending on the particular wave of immigration you're talking about).

So if you wanted to pick a really old guy who is living in Tuluk but is a natural-born Allanak citizen, then that might make sense. On the other hand, they would've been living in Tuluk so long, since they were kids, that their southern accent might be completely gone by now.

But people who are living in Tuluk, who were born there, but their parents were immigrants - are not Nakkis with Tuluk accents. They're Tulukis.

Many of these NPCs are old enough that they really shouldn't even exist anymore. I've seen a "young girl" who was "ancient" and bugged it - not sure if it's still there. But don't compare the NPCs with the official docs and expect the result to make any sense. The staff shouldn't have to replace NPCs every time they turn a certain age. Just assume they're the offspring of the NPC who was there for the last 80 game-years, and they look alike. Sort of like you know that Thexi can't possibly really be Thexi - he'd be a few hundred years old. Instead, it's his great-grandson, who is also named Thexi, after his great-grandpa. And regardless of where the original Thexi came from - the present Thexi is a Nakki.

The same goes for the mutants on the Tuluk streets, the little kids who play in the Warrens, the shopkeepers in Freil's Rest. I just always assume they're related to the originals, and were given the same names, but are not really the originals, because their age would require that they be dead. And since they're not, they can't possibly really be that old, and can't possibly be the originals.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Uhh...

Quote from: Lizzie on March 29, 2013, 07:22:04 AM
The groups of immigrants in Tuluk documented in the official docs are either very old, or long-dead (depending on the particular wave of immigration you're talking about).

Where in the docs is this located exactly?

QuoteBut people who are living in Tuluk, who were born there, but their parents were immigrants - are not Nakkis with Tuluk accents. They're Tulukis.

I'm pretty sure citizenship is a little more complicated than that. 

(i.e., you can't move to a city-state, have a babby, and expect it to be a citizen of that city-state)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Bet you could in Allanak. But really, who wants to jump their fence? ::)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.